• March 28, 2024, 03:16:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot see my wireless network, but can see neighbours'  (Read 12330 times)

Steve Zodiac

• Level 1 Member
Cannot see my wireless network, but can see neighbours'
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »

Hi,

Hardware version: A3
Firmware Version: 1.10EU
WEP encryption originally, now using WPA-Personal
802.11 Mode: Mixed 802.11n,802.11g and 802.11b
Channel Width: Auto 20/40MHz

Adapter: Prism 802.11g Wireless Adapter

I have four machines one n spec and three g spec all of which connect and operate adequately except for one g spec machine.
This machine is unable to see the wireless network although the router sits some 6ft above the machine.
Annoyingly it can find two other wireless networks (one WPA and one unsecured), one of which I know for a fact is some distance away.
I tried to fix the channel and use that only, but the router had a problem with that and went into a continual re-booting loop until I restored the factory settings. :-(

Please accept my apologies if this is a common problem as I am an ultra newbie. I have searched through the topics but cannot find anything similar so any pointers would be gratefully received.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Cannot see my wireless network, but can see neighbours'
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:43:57 AM »

Latest wifi drivers ánd Service packs (SP2)on your XP?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Steve Zodiac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »

Latest wifi drivers ánd Service packs (SP2)on your XP?

Thanks for getting back.
XP is running SP3 on the machine in question.
The driver is as far as I can determine the most up to date, although there only appears to one available for the adapter.
The company that created it 'GlobespanVirata' merged with another company a while back, who then sold it to conexant and trying to find stuff on their site is er... challenging.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »

It's quite an ancient adapter you got there  ;)

You might want to upgrade to the 1.11 version of the firmware. This is quite safe.
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir655/Firmware/dir655_firmware_111.bin

Otherwise you can upgrade to the latest 1.21 firmware

Please report back with the 1.11 firmware.

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »

WEP encryption originally, now using WPA-Personal
On the machine that is locked out, erase its saved wireless profile relating to your DIR-655.  Reboot that machine and remove/restore power to your DIR-655.  When the computer is done rebooting, associate with the DIR-655 as if its a brand new AP. 

If this helps, it is likely related to your changing from WEP to WPA under the same SSID.  Some clients have difficulty on an Infrastructure network after it changes security or connection parameters.  Creating a new clean profile avoids old settings from interfering.  The reason you could not see the AP was because one or both sides of the relationship between your client and AP blacklisted (locked out) the other.  Rebooting both sides clears these blacklists.  To avoid this problem in the future, change your SSID whenever you change your AP's wireless security or connection settings.

Steve Zodiac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 01:37:59 AM »

It's quite an ancient adapter you got there  ;)

He he, true. The machine has always been wired, however SHE! (Who must be obeyed!) has decreed that it is to be moved to another part of the house, which I was hoping not to have to cable.

I will upgrade later today, many thanks.

Steve Zodiac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »

If this helps, it is likely related to your changing from WEP to WPA under the same SSID. 

Thanks for this, however I only really changed the security after I began doing this, and only after I restored the router to factory defaults. The problem was apparent when using the WEP encryption also. :-(

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

He he, true. The machine has always been wired, however SHE! (Who must be obeyed!) has decreed that it is to be moved to another part of the house, which I was hoping not to have to cable.

An experience most of us can relate to... ;)

poker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 04:58:24 AM »

B/G/N channel? Can you computer "see" them all?
Is the WIFI set to "stay visible?

Steve Zodiac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:34:04 AM »

B/G/N channel? Can you computer "see" them all?
Is the WIFI set to "stay visible?
Yes thanks it is set to visible, not sure what you mean by the other part though.
I think that I will most likely abandon this and just by a new adapter for the machine and disable the old one.
As an odd side issue when I enabled WPA, my laptop would drop the signal every 2 - 10 mins, unless a machine that was directly wired to the router was operating. Restoring the old WEP stuff I can connect without issue. Weird.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »

My thoughts are that the wireless driver just fails here. If you can find a current router that does work with the ancient wifi card you might test this. In the early days of wifi a lot of chipset manufacterers created their own subsets, causing massive incompatibility with routers using other chipsets. I guess this is one of them.