• March 29, 2024, 02:14:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Format hangs at 94%  (Read 42154 times)

jink

• Level 1 Member
Re: Format hangs at 94%
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »

Here is my experience. 
a) FW 1.04,  never tried 1.05, waiting for 1.06 ever so patiently
b) Hooked up through a Linksys WRT54G Router
c) Tossed in 2 new seagate 1.5 TBs . (fw CC1H)
d) One had been preformatted to NTFS on a PC but otherwise unused.
e) Logged into the DNS-323 through the Web Interface using Google Chrome browser (which I quite like).
f) Started the formatting for standard (as this is all I can do with the 1.5TB drives under the current FW).
G) ProgBar jumped to (the dreaded) 94%.
h) I waited patiently figuring possibly that: 1. these are BIG drives, so formatting might take some time.  2. That the Progress Bar simply wasn't capable of accurately following this. 
i) after about an hour, I noticed that the blue light drive activity indicators on the front had both calmed down and that the web page reported completion.

So, it may be possible that some of your problems may be related to the buggy progress bar and that you need to be patient.

chienpourri

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 06:06:18 AM »

Pretty much the same thing as the poster above...  I formatted them as standard drives (1.05 does not yet support RAID1 1.5tb).  The progress bar jumper quickly to 94%, then it took about an hour and a half for the process to finish.  Formatting 1.5tb drives is very long!  First, the led of the right bay HDD blinked for 45 minutes, then the led of the left bay for the same time.  After all was done!

Using FW 1.05, Seagates FW was SD1H.

I guess you just need to be patient.

cfuhs

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »

Hi everyone,
Just a quick comment... I've experienced same issue "hangs at 94%" and what finally worked for me was using firefox and disabling antivirus and firewall - then I was finally able to format two 1tb wd hard drives in RAID 1.  Hope this helps (This is on a 343)

Siker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

I got this problem with the wizard. But I tried different thing and my RAID1 work now.
(two 500 Gig Sata2 in RAID1 - Mirror)

To solve this problem do the following

1 - Format your disks as Individual Disks (default option in the wizard)
2 - Follow the steps and watch the disk light on the DNS323 during the process
3 - Try to write on each of them with the windows file sharing
4 - If it work, continue to the next step, if not you probably have an other problem
5 - Now format in RAID1 (Menu - Tool / RAID)
6 - After starting the format wait for the process bar to reach 1% and then close all the DNS323 web pages
7 - Unplug the network cable on your DNS323
8 - Now watch carefully the blinking lights on the DNS323
9 - Wait until it the disks lights stop blinking for 10 minutes
10 - Follow the next step ONLY IF THE DISK LIGHT ARE ALWAYS OPEN FOR A LONG PERIOD
11 - Press and hold the Dlink button on the DNS323 for 5 secondes and release it
12 - The power light will flash and the DNS323 will shutdown
13 - After the unit is shutdown open it back and wait 2 minutes for a good power on
14 - Enjoy

Remenber - It's like making microwave popcorn

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

add me to the list. i had some issues and had to factory reset my box. after the reset, the same HDD's that were working for the last few weeks are now foobar.

i'm using 750GB Seagates (ST3750640NS), the format (RAID 1) with a second pair (not original) was successful on the 1st try. i'm on fw 1.07 and did not change versions or try and do anything else.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:07:21 PM by drick »
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
2x750GB Seagate HDD's / RAID1+EXT3
DNS-343A - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343B - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343C v1.05b + ffp 0.5
4x2TB Seagate HDD's / RAID5+EXT3
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

BrianB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »

USA
DNS-321
2 Seagate 1.5 TB

When I tried to configure the hard drives (No Raid) the application jumped to 94% and stayed there for a while, then became unresponsive.  I upgraded the firmware from 1.00 (Came with the product) to 1.01 to 1.02 one right after the other.  Although the firmware description didn't say they addressed this particular issue I did it anyway.  When I tried to configure it again, the progress bar didn't shoot up to 94% then after sometime, around an hour but I wasn't paying attention to the time, it completed successfully. 

PS: I also tried to format the hardrives via external hardrive enclosure first then configure it which didn't work.  I saw that on another forum.

On another note: After the configuration successfully completed, it did not map the network drives, nor did the connect option work when trying to connect to the volumes.  I had to connect to the volumes (volume_1 and volume_2) manually by mapping the network drives in windows explorer.

\\DNS321devicename\volume_1
\\DNS321devicename\volume_2

I hope this helps.
Brian
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:48:46 PM by BrianB »

gbaker3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »

Hi All,

I recently experienced this 94% format issue while attempting to rebuild a degraded RAID 1 array after replacing the failed hard drive.  I was using fw 1.06 with two Seagate 7200.11 500GB hard disks (Model ST3500320AS).

The problem occurred when I logged in and was prompted the format the new disk right away. When I formatted using this prompt the progress would hang at 94%. After doing this a few times I decided to skip the format at logon and go straight to the admin page. I reset the unit to factory default settings and then went to the RAID config page and formatted the new disk. Fortunately the format succeeded this time and I was able to rebuild the array.

Hopefully if anyone else has come across this issue while rebuilding a degraded array, this solution works for you.

scadagawd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »

I installed a WD Cavier 1.5TB drive and it hangs at 94%.  After upgrading to version 1.02, it still hangs.  Do I have to upgrade to 1.01 first, then to 1.02?

The drive is brand new out of the box.  Did I need to format it first?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
S

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 05:23:39 AM »

I'd test the drive on a SATA connection to your system and make SURE it's OK with the WD diagnostics first.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jackstuard

• Level 1 Member
Re: Format hangs at 94% [SOLUTION]
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »

Hi,

Just want to post this old topic to share my success in few words:

Use Firefox.. I'm a Opera user, but I was able to format my two hard disks (500GB).

DNS-321, not firmware rollback, nothing. After some fail in IE and Opera, I've tried Firefox and it work!

Peace
Pages: 1 2 [3]