• April 19, 2024, 08:33:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DMS-520 has stoppd working  (Read 3826 times)

rmdelmar

• Level 1 Member
DMS-520 has stoppd working
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »

Okay I have had my DSM-520 for about 18 months with no problems.
Today I was using the device.
I wanted to switch Servers from my Network Hard Drive back to the Desktop to try a video file.
So in setup I went to change the media server and sure enough brought up the list of devices.
My Sony Desktop was listed twice one as Desktop the other as Sony VAIO Desktop... which I'd never seen listed before...
So I choose that and it gives a message... as if it is starting to configure...

The next minute the DSM-520 resets and the startup screen appears with a Startup Wizard... and the DSM-520 crashes...
I try to exit, nothing, I try to re-start, nothing.
I switch the unit off and on... nothing.

I unplug the DSM-520 and plug in again... I can no longer see even the splash screen.

I have checked the connections and the cable, the HDMI cable etc... all the obvious stuff...

On the DSM-520 itself the only sign of life is the power button does light up (blue) when I switch on and goes off when I switch off.
Also - I even tried plugging in a USB device with the latest firmware update... and switched the unit on...
Whilst the blue power lamp worked and even the blue lamp next to the USB port worked...

Still Nothing.

I have unplugged the unit

Any suggestions?

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
Re: DMS-520 has stoppd working
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »

(I'm not sure why you tried to perform a firmware update via USB as a troubleshooting technique. )

If your DSM-520 was hooked up via HDMI before you started having problems it is possible that the unit has switched to composite out.  Try hooking up your tv set to the Video Out port and see if you are able to get a picture. 

If you still do not see anything then press the Reset button.  This will default the video output to the video out port and allow you to start from a clean slate. 

rmdelmar

• Level 1 Member
Re: DMS-520 has stoppd working
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:43:48 AM »

Thank you fccgrant.

This worked. Evidently the unit had completely reset and as soon as I connected with a regular cable, I was able to use the device.
I have it working again with the HDMI connector.

Besides that my only problem now is getting videos to work... whilst images all work fine, pretty much any format... as is well documented all over here, there seem many limitations on both file formats, codecs and frame rate etc... such that you find yourself wither becoming a complete geek or converting file formats to work with the media player... a shame really.

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
Re: DMS-520 Working Now / Video formats
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »

Glad to hear that it was just a reset of the settings. 

What kind of file format are you trying to play? 

I know for sure that transport stream files (.ts or .tp renamed as .ts) and mpg files will work.  AVI's are hit or miss depending on how they were encoded.