• April 27, 2024, 03:16:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Torrents really slow  (Read 8343 times)

Copyright

• Level 1 Member
Torrents really slow
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »

uTorrent isn't downloading well at all! Its on around 60 kb/s when I have 15mb internet. Very slow. Logs show that it is blocking packets, even with SPI firewall off, and I have tried port forwarding on and off. On 1.34eub5

Help!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Torrents really slow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »

1. Torrents have no guaranteed speed. You are depending on the seeders/other leechers and the speed they provide. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes just slow.
2. Check if your connection from uTorrent is fully operational, you can test it thruogh the setup/settings
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Copyright

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »

1. I know that.
2. It says it is randomly, says it isn't sometimes. Its on and off. I'm sure its the router..

133 Log Entries:   Priority Time Message
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:22:39 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 72.252.107.143:60804 to 80.229.13.137:33680 as RST received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:22:16 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 76.64.223.79:64131 to 80.229.13.137:32267 as RST:ACK received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:22:07 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 188.222.9.32:8500 to 80.229.13.137:2249 as FIN:PSH:ACK received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:22:00 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 99.194.36.246:64594 to 80.229.13.137:33680 as RST received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:21:57 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 97.106.179.177:58399 to 80.229.13.137:32267 as RST received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:21:17 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 70.64.125.176:53207 to 80.229.13.137:33680 as RST received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:21:03 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 188.222.9.32:8500 to 80.229.13.137:2249 as FIN:PSH:ACK received but there is no active connection
[INFO] Fri Nov 19 23:20:30 2010 Blocked incoming TCP packet from 209.85.229.109:993 to 80.229.13.137:2149 as PSH:ACK received but there is no active connection

Also, just noticed upload is around 250 kb/s which is quite high, considering the low download.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:26:42 PM by Copyright »

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »

Those logs have nothing to do with a torrent unless you are changing the port number in the client every few seconds.

What I am saying is what you posted has different port destinations and µTorrent does not change ports while running.

Tried turning down your upload rate a bit?

Copyright

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »

No I haven't, what would you suggest? Never had any of these problems with my cheaper routers, wondering why this 'great' router is having problems!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »

Check your router firewall settings. When set to strict this is the cause. Torrent clients and peers tend to use crazy alternate portmappings. This is not a hardware issue and only a config issue (the lack of proper firewalls on cheap routers says enough).

Copyright

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »

Thats a good point ;) It just that my old Netgears had a simple option for opening ports. I could open all of them for my computer, which wasn't a problem, as I have no chance of it getting hacked really where I live. Is there an option similar to that?

And what settings do you want me to check on the router?

Thanks

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »

If all your ports are open, it doesn't really matter where you live.  If you are connected to the Internet you are connected to everywhere in the World.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »

Thats a good point ;) It just that my old Netgears had a simple option for opening ports. I could open all of them for my computer, which wasn't a problem, as I have no chance of it getting hacked really where I live. Is there an option similar to that?

And what settings do you want me to check on the router?

Thanks

You might consider having a look yourself in the setup, or even better: use the manual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual

What about...http://dlinkrouter/Advanced/Firewall.shtml ? Wasn't that hard, was it?

Breman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »

The change in port numbers is the NAT, you keep sending out requests through your firewall in the router and the router assigns a random upper level port to your internal IP address and stores that correlation in a table. Each time you send a request this happens so you may have 15 ports in the firewall for 1 computer. Now a way to alleviate this issue is to assign a specific port to the application and use port forwarding on the router to add an exception to the firewall. To do so: open the run dialog box and type the command "cmd" then hit the run button. Scroll through the screen and find your computers IP address (make note of it as you will need it later). Exit the command prompt box and open your web browser. Type the IP address you got from your computer into the address bar changing the last octet to 1 (this will log into your router's web interface user ID will be "admin" and password will be by default blank). You should goto the router status page. Click on the Advanced tab, then click on Port Forwarding on the left side menu. Type the name of the application in the name box and the computer's IP address in the IP address block. Then put the port number that you configured in the torrent client's firewall settings in the TCP and UDP blocks. Then click the check mark box next to the name and IP address box then click on save. It will request a reboot of the router, allow it to reboot. This should at least alleviate some (if not all) of your torrent download issues. If you don't know how to configure the firewall settings in your torrent client then consult the client publisher's website for details (most have that information readily available).
CompTIA A+, N+, S+ Certified

Copyright

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »

You might consider having a look yourself in the setup, or even better: use the manual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual

What about...http://dlinkrouter/Advanced/Firewall.shtml ? Wasn't that hard, was it?
Ohh clever. Not.
If all your ports are open, it doesn't really matter where you live.  If you are connected to the Internet you are connected to everywhere in the World.
I didn't say I had done for this router, read it properly next time
The change in port numbers is the NAT, you keep sending out requests through your firewall in the router and the router assigns a random upper level port to your internal IP address and stores that correlation in a table. Each time you send a request this happens so you may have 15 ports in the firewall for 1 computer. Now a way to alleviate this issue is to assign a specific port to the application and use port forwarding on the router to add an exception to the firewall. To do so: open the run dialog box and type the command "cmd" then hit the run button. Scroll through the screen and find your computers IP address (make note of it as you will need it later). Exit the command prompt box and open your web browser. Type the IP address you got from your computer into the address bar changing the last octet to 1 (this will log into your router's web interface user ID will be "admin" and password will be by default blank). You should goto the router status page. Click on the Advanced tab, then click on Port Forwarding on the left side menu. Type the name of the application in the name box and the computer's IP address in the IP address block. Then put the port number that you configured in the torrent client's firewall settings in the TCP and UDP blocks. Then click the check mark box next to the name and IP address box then click on save. It will request a reboot of the router, allow it to reboot. This should at least alleviate some (if not all) of your torrent download issues. If you don't know how to configure the firewall settings in your torrent client then consult the client publisher's website for details (most have that information readily available).
Thanks, but I have all ready done this!  I was hoping this would help, but no. I've heard to turn this off if you have SPI off, and I have tried all combinations involving it really.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:02:36 AM »

There's more firewall settings than SPI on or off that can cause this issue. You did not mention you already changed those (or didn't you). So who's the clever one here?

Copyright

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 06:41:51 AM »

I'm not trying to be clever or whatever your suggesting. I'm just saying that I have tried many configurations, and I still don't really see any help apart from things I have said I have done.

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:24 AM »

No need to do this with µTorrent as it supports UPnP.

Copyright: Do you have UPnP enabled in the router?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »

No need to do this with µTorrent as it supports UPnP.

Copyright: Do you have UPnP enabled in the router?

Or in the router that is DHCP, the DIR might be AP only in some networks :-)
Pages: [1] 2