• March 28, 2024, 12:56:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thinking of making a change  (Read 16914 times)

klein

• Level 3 Member
Re: Thinking of making a change
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »

hey cliff, i agree, it is a tough decision and we are both saying all the good things about each unit ..

you mention synology having a more user friendly interface, as i don't own one i can't comment but i do know the QNAP has a very easy user interface from my own experience ... it does have the esata port but like GRJ said most of them do so it all depends on your needs and features you want .. once you get one you will love whatever you get as they are both great units ...

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »

All things being equal between the two discussed, I'd go for the speed unless the eSATA port is a big deal. :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »

i would normally agree to go with speed but it isn't a huge difference so in this case i would go for esata in case you want to backup to a disk, it is much faster then usb and you have it available, you can't add an esata port to the NAS ... speed is also going to be dependent on your network, you might not even notice the difference ... so something else to consider ...

aren't you glad we are making your decision easier :)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »

Since my backups to USB drives are totally unattended, and they proceed at around 25mbytes/sec, I don't really miss the eSATA port.  I have two USB drives sitting beside the Synology that run scheduled backups several times a week of the contents of the NAS.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »

hey cliff,

here are the links and you can compare them:

Synology:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/compare_spec.php

QNAP:

http://www.qnap.com/images/products/comparison/Comparison_NAS.html

i noticed a few differences, the QNAP has 512 ram vs Synology 256, the QNAP has hot swappable drives, the power consumption is better on the QNAP, QNAP can do EXT3 and EXT4 if you want ...

i have heard the photostation on the Synology is better but QNAP just released a new firmware that includes one like Synology's so they are getting there, just a few bugs in it so should be fixed next firmware release but then again you aren't looking for that feature ..

i will let you find anymore if you want to ...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:59:03 AM by klein »

Cliff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »

Thanks Klein for those pages, great comparison of models.
The QNAP uses NetBak for workstation backup
http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=122, the Synology uses Data Replicator http://download.synology.com/download/ds/DS209/DataSheet/Synology%20DS209%20Data%20Sheet_enu.pdf. Can I assume that both work equally well?
I now plan to introduce a remote NAS as well, so the backup strategy should include a remote NAS in the picture.

I know this is a dumb question, but I've been burned too many times by products promising they can do something but coming up short.
Pages: 1 2 [3]