• March 29, 2024, 07:50:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Manual fix for dropped IP  (Read 11327 times)

MrShmernermer

• Level 1 Member
Manual fix for dropped IP
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »

Like many of you with the DIR-615, I have suddenly developed the problem of randomly lost connection to the router's subnet, not even allowing me to connect to my own home network. ???

I'm not a network genius, but I've bounced around the web long enough to determine two things:

1. This is not a priority fix for D-Link, so a manual work around is necessary for now.

2. The only manual work around that has worked (for now) is the DHCP Reservation.

So, while the router is allowing you access to the web, log in to the router settings and click "Reserve" at the bottom, under the Network Settings, where you see your computer connected. You should see an IP assigned. Clone the computer's MAC and then Save. Do this with each computer that connects to this router. Another thing I was sure to do, for any of you who haven't, is to update the firmware. I'm on rev. C1, so the firmware is 3.11. And remember, you can't update firmware over a wireless - you have to plug the router in. (Just say "Duh" if you know this. Some people just don't know.  ;))

So far, since I did this (and it was only a couple days ago), I haven't had a dropped connection once on my desktop or laptop. Hope this helps someone.

waybrane

• Level 1 Member
Re: Manual fix for dropped IP
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »

i was running into the same problem and had 4 techs out to my house.  they finally determined that it was my router DIR 615N that was the problem.  i have roadrunner with turbo which i'm not sure what its rated for but i'm getting about 9.81mbs download and .72mbs upload.  but thats with my "g" linksys router.  what speeds are you getting?  should i expect a speed increase from the DIR615N  router?  still a noob when it comes to the new technology. :)

MrShmernermer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:07:50 AM »

The speeds I'm getting are much less than they should be. Not sure what other tweaks need to be done. I'm subscribed to 9 Mb/s down and .8 Mb/s up through Cox Communications. They offer what's called SpeedBoost, which borrows extra available bandwidth from your neighborhood hub (when available) for your downloads. With that, I've "tested" download speeds when wired of over 20 Mb/s down. (By tested, I mean run a speed test at speakeasy.net) Nevertheless, I've been seeing wireless speeds of between 2-5 Mb/s. Pretty disappointing. I'm starting to wonder if the wireless N is an issue. I'm thinking of setting the wireless to G to see what happens.

Sent1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:31:10 AM »

I have done this very thing as well in hopes of making improvements to my connection issues. I made the reservations about a month ago. Didn't help. Just last week I discovered the firmware upgrade. Now the connection seems to be flawless but now I have trouble loading some websites like youtube. Any ideas?

society

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »

I have a fix: buy another brand.
see my other posts please and you will see why you need to get another brand.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7850.msg49052#msg49052
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7774.msg46347#msg46347
DIR-655   Hardware: A4    Firmware: 1.32NA

MrShmernermer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »

I ultimately dug out my old DI-624M. It works well enough. No wireless N for now. When it finally dies, I may pull out the DIR-615 to see if there is new FW. If not, I may not even bother.

I've used D-Link for a long time and this is the first bad experience I've had. I'm not usually the type to drop a brand on one poor experience. But what I've read from other people, and just observed from a general lack of response, is that D-Link doesn't seem to have user experience as their top priority. As with so many corporations, Marketing and PR will work their butts off to give a company a good image just to have a bunch of indifferent engineers and back office personnel blow it up. The truth is revealed in the customer-facing groups. When tech support is incompetent or clearly don't care about resolving a problem (at least as soon as they find out you bought the little value model - isn't that what the DIR-615 is?), you know what the general attitude is going all the way up to the executive offices. Because that's where the tone is set for everyone down below. It's like when you have a 3 year old that swears - you know how the parents talk. So based on the general corporate attitude (and so what if I'm overreacting - I'm the consumer - perception is reality - live with it D-Link), I will probably use a different brand next time.

The End.

jebise101

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »

well i have just bought this router and i have it hooked to a comstar that is in bridge mode. have the comstar connected to a ps3 and a laptop and it works just fine for the only problems i'm facing is that when i start to stream movies from my desktop to the ps3 they start of fine but then half way through they lose connection and i sometimes get a DLNA 2104 error and some times it say frozen and werlsy enough it sometimes starts playing. So with that said i think its the d link that causing the issue and me losing the connection. I have set the DHCP Reservations and it did seem to help a bit but cannot say for sure as i experienced the issue only once after i set DHCP Reservations and set a static IP for my main desktop which has all the media.

Gonna cold boot all my devices to see maybe that will solve the problem. This very well could be the comstar but it dose not seem that way is there anyway i can check some logs that will tell me what it might be??