• April 23, 2024, 11:40:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UPNP A/V server - track order alphabetical (on Xbox 360, at least)  (Read 18169 times)

honestbleeps

• Level 1 Member

Hiya folks...

Not sure if this is a 1.08 specific thing or not, but it's really annoying...

I can't play my albums in the proper track order, because the Xbox 360 is seeing them in alphabetical order when I browse an album... It didn't do this when I went from a normal windows share, and I know the mp3s all have proper ID3 tags, etc...

Anyone else have this issue?

doppeljr

• Level 1 Member
Re: UPNP A/V server - track order alphabetical (on Xbox 360, at least)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:31:48 AM »

Yeah, this is an issue unique to the XBox, not the NAS. The XBox only allows you to create and use playlists for music files stored on the XBox itself. Music stored on external devices is played in alphabetical order, at best.

honestbleeps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »

Yeah, this is an issue unique to the XBox, not the NAS. The XBox only allows you to create and use playlists for music files stored on the XBox itself. Music stored on external devices is played in alphabetical order, at best.

It doesn't work that way when I have Windows Media Player running on my PC and share it to the Xbox that way.  (Not to be confused with Windows Media CENTER, which is entirely different)..

Songs show up in order just fine on the Xbox then, so I have a hard time believing that it's the "xbox's fault"... I do not have playlists at all.

honestbleeps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »

Seriously there's no reply to this?

Seems like a pretty crippling flaw in the UPNP server's utility... can't imagine this isn't a complaint from a lot of people..

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

Not that it's going to be any help, but I have exactly the same issue on my PS3.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7776.0

torontodude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »

The problem is with the dns-323. It happens on any device (PS3, xbox, etc) using the upnp A/V server. Too bad, the dns-323 is not dlna compliant.

Seems to me they could fix this pretty easily though. Come on D-Link, why don't you fix this?

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »

The PS3 isn't DLNA compliant either. 

If you copy the music to your PS3 and set up a playlist, the problem will resolve itself.  Should I really get the gumption, I'll set up Windows Media Sharing and see what happens and post it.  For now I'm going to watch "Flipping Out" on Bravo then go to bed.

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »

The PS3 isn't DLNA compliant either.
Actually, it is. It's listed at http://www.dlna.org/products

Animal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »

I'm not having this problem streaming .flac to my T+A MusicPlayer. Using 1.08 firmware and file-naming starting with the tracknumber and it works flawlessly.     ???

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »

I'm not having this problem streaming .flac to my T+A MusicPlayer. Using 1.08 firmware and file-naming starting with the tracknumber and it works flawlessly.     ???
Yeah, but the point is, it shouldn't have to rely on the file name, surely a UPnP server should share the ID3 data along with the filename. Maybe someone with a different upnp server can check.

honestbleeps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

Yeah, but the point is, it shouldn't have to rely on the file name, surely a UPnP server should share the ID3 data along with the filename. Maybe someone with a different upnp server can check.

I don't know if it uses upnp or not, but Windows Media Player, files show up in the proper order, instead of alphabetical.

It's worth noting that my filenames are [artist] - [album] - [track#] - [songtitle].mp3

As such, if it were playing in alphabetical order by filename, they'd play in the right order...

Therefore, I believe the ID3 tags ARE being pulled by the DNS-323's upnp server.. they're just being sorted... err.. stupidly.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »

The UPnP AV media server simply serves the files to the device makes the files available to the device to read.

The UPnP AV media server does not provide the functionality of many other media servers created just to be a media server with many options and transcoding and require the use of a PC such as TVersity and a pretty decent PC at that. The DNS-323 is designed to be NAS and provides some added features like UPnP AV media server, iTunes server, FTP, and more.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »

The UPnP AV media server does not provide the functionality of many other media servers created just to be a media server with many options and transcoding and require the use of a PC such as TVersity and a pretty decent PC at that. The DNS-323 is designed to be NAS and provides some added features like UPnP AV media server, iTunes server, FTP, and more.
I'm not asking for any advanced functionality, all I want is the id3 data to be passed so I can view file details and use my NAS with my PS3.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »

IMHO, it would be most appreciated to have the DNS-323/343 broadcast all of the metadata and let the client be the limitation.

Cheers,

honestbleeps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »

Just wanted to check in and see if there's any update on this being fixed in a future release?

Here's the thing:

My tracks are named:
<artist> - <album> - <track#> - <songtitle>.mp3

This means that their filenames actually dictate the correct track order, if you sort them alphabetically by FILENAME, not Track name or number...

Therefore, the UPNP server MUST be reading the song name from the ID3 tags or something, and sorting on that... why can't it just sort on track number first?
Pages: [1] 2