• April 16, 2024, 03:22:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SOLVED-DNS-323 Volumes not reconnecting at boot up since upgrading network card  (Read 6373 times)

zmcmahan

• Level 1 Member

Hi. There. I have had my DNS-323 working flawlessly for 2 weeks. I recently upgraded to a PCI-E gigabit adapter card made by Intel. I notice that on bootup, I get a balloon window that pops up and states "Cannot reconnect network drives." I have the DNS-323 in Standard setup with 2 Volumes, and they are mapped to my Z and Y drives in My Computer. When I got to My Computer after bootup, the drives have Red X's over them. If I click on those drives, I can access the information, the X's go away, and they are connected. For some reason, they are not connecting at boot-up. I do have the box checked to connect at logon.

Could this possibly be an issue with the new intel PCI-E card not completely initializing by the time the computer is looking for the network drives? When I remove the card and use my on-board 10/100, this does not happen and the drives stay mapped.

I am running firmware 1.07 with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have 2 1TB WD Caviar Black drives in the DNS. Gigabit card is the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

Any ideas is appreciated. The only thing I have not tried is a new gigabit card...which would be a PCI card vs. PCI-E.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:34:12 PM by zmcmahan »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 Volumes not reconnecting at boot up since upgrading network card
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »

Well, it worked and then you changed the NIC and it has the problem.  I'd have to say it's most likely the drivers, but it could be the NIC as well.  There's a chance that for some reason the DNS-323 is having a problem with gigabit.  Finally, if you have a problem cable, it could work at 100mbit, but have problems at gigabit speeds.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »

Disconnect the drives using windows.
Restart the machine and disable your onboard NIC in BIOS.
Connect your drives again with the option to reconnnect automatically when the computer starts and try again.

zmcmahan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:54 AM »

Disconnect the drives using windows.
Restart the machine and disable your onboard NIC in BIOS.
Connect your drives again with the option to reconnnect automatically when the computer starts and try again.
Hmmm...I have tried all of that, with the exception of disabling the onboard NIC in BIOS. I had been disabling it in Device Manager. Does that make a difference? As I read up on this, it seems that it can make a huge difference.

Also...you recommend mapping the drives using Windows? I had been using the Easy Setup Utility.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:15:58 AM by zmcmahan »

jaapf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:40:26 AM »

It should be the same. As far as I now does Easy setup the same thing in a (virtual) different way. It may help if you can't find your DNS in the network though.

I prefer using the direct way.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »

Hmmm...I have tried all of that, with the exception of disabling the onboard NIC in BIOS. I had been disabling it in Device Manager. Does that make a difference? As I read up on this, it seems that it can make a huge difference.

Also...you recommend mapping the drives using Windows? I had been using the Easy Setup Utility.
If you disable the card in Bios, it is no longer recognized in Windows and it can't even be tried to connect through it.
I recommend Windows because I never used the Easy Setup Utility. I always prefer the direct way if possible.
But it shouldn't make a difference how you reconnect the drives.
Important is to "delete" existing connections once from the system and then reconnect them.

If this doesn't help it seems to be a driver problem. Maybe the card is initialized to late.
I'm using the Intel Pro 1000GT Desktop PCI  Adapter here without problems with reconnections (Win7).

zmcmahan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »

If you disable the card in Bios, it is no longer recognized in Windows and it can't even be tried to connect through it.
I recommend Windows because I never used the Easy Setup Utility. I always prefer the direct way if possible.
Important is to "delete" existing connections once from the system and then reconnect them.

If this doesn't help it seems to be a driver problem. Maybe the card is initialized to late.
I'm using the Intel Pro 1000GT Desktop PCI  Adapter here without problems with reconnections (Win7).

OK. Thanks for the info. I'll try all that tonight. I had the Intel Pro 1000GT in my cart at Newegg and got the PCI-E version instead. If it is a driver problem, I'll kick myself for not staying with the PCI gigabit card. Thanks again.

zmcmahan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »

Disabling the onboard LAN in the BIOS seems to have fixed the problem! Thanks for the help!