• April 19, 2024, 04:48:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [dap-2553 basic Q] confused about `network key'  (Read 3332 times)

HarryPutnam

• Level 1 Member
[dap-2553 basic Q] confused about `network key'
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »

I'm confused about the `network key' dialog one encounters when making basic settings.

If you want to use any of the encrypted authentication methods you are presented with a dialog that asks for a `network key'.

The help file for that section barely mentions what `network key' is or means.  Its mentioned in connection with the various methods but never explained in any way far as I see.

In fact you will not find the term `network key' in that format anywhere in the file.

The word `key' alone is used in discussing the various method.

All that aside, apparently I'm expected to know what it is and what it means, not to mention how to invent and insert one.

Is it just a password with a purposely confusing name?.. that seems unlikely in the extreme so it must infer some special kind of combination of letters(?), numbers(?) etc.  And be used in some special way that is not like a password.

Can anyone explain what that term really means and how best to create one?