• April 24, 2024, 02:30:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 streaming video to Popcornhour HD media player without hacking  (Read 6383 times)

ats65

• Level 1 Member

The SMB, NFS shares and UPnP server do not work with PCH or IStarHD player without hacking.  Wondering if anyone has found a way to get it working without hacking or streaming via a server without running on PC to PCH type player.  I got it playing video_ts folders with WizD and Swisscenter runing on a PC but the subtitle is disabled.

linky

This question was on my mind too for quite some time.
Is it possible? I have the iStarMini

Thanks!

ats65

• Level 1 Member

I emailed IStar support and they are going to purchase a D-LINK DNS-323 to test.  They said they would let me know in a few days.  They did say that NFS will work with D-Link DIR-655 router.  However, it is not clear to me if they are referring to using this router with DNS-323.   I did find out that the router makes a difference.  I have an older SMC router and that would not work with HP MediaVault using SMB share but a Bufferalo router would.  I will know in a few days as a DIR-655 router is on order.

fordem

• Level 10 Member

Assuming that both devices are on the inside of the router, it should make no difference what brand or model of router is being used - the traffic doesn't pass through the router itself, but through a network switch that just happens to be located in the router cabinet.

You should be able to connect that HP MediaVault to whatever device you have with a switch, completely removing the router from the equation.

What I'm essentially saying is that the router was not your problem, changing the router may have fixed it, but that is a side effect of changing the router, and you could quite likely get it working with the old router also.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ats65

• Level 1 Member

I thought so until I replace it with the D-LINK DIR-655.  Now I can stream using SMB with no stuttering problem in the audio toIStar which is a NMT media player similar to PCH.  The only thing that is changed in the entire configuration is the router.  I still cannot stream video using NFS to IStar even though I hacked one of the DNS-323 with the funplug and install the undfs following the procedure somewhere else in this forum.  Other people has success with it but I only get no content found each time.  I may try installing llink HTTP server in the DNS-323 as that seems to work better than NFS.

linky

Good news, guys!

DNS323 works great with my iStar (pretty much the same thing as the Popcorn Hour).
I have the DNS323 and the iStar connected to a gig switch (5 port).

On the iStar menu, I just browsed the network and the NAS was there.
It had no issues finding it and even the high res movies are playing fine (.MKV 720p and 1080p).
I have no streaming server enabled on the DNS323, I just access it as a network share.
The only thing enabled on it is the BT but I wish I didn't as I can't turn it off even if I want to.