• April 25, 2024, 02:43:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HELP-DNS-343 compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.3 [SOLVED]  (Read 10204 times)

jimsharky

• Level 1 Member

My mac has Snow Leopard 10.6.3 installed as the OS.  I am using a DNS-343 to save all my projects to, however I am having the following problems/situations occur:

1) I can't copy any new files to the DNS-343 box from my desktop or any other local location.

2) If I try to copy a newer version of a file from my desktop to the DNS-343 box where I had an older version of the same file, the file won't update/copy and older version file disappears from the DNS-343 box completely.

3) Same situation happens with folders, I can't copy folders the same way, however I can make a new folder on the DNS-343 box, but I can't copy any files to it.

4) When I open an existing file on my DNS-343 box, I am able to make revisions to the file and save the newer version, again I just can't copy.

Are there any suggestions as to how I can get my mac to copy files over to the DNS-343 box?  Are there settings or updates that I should run in order to get the mac and box to cooperate?

Thanks - much appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:51:22 AM by D-Link Multimedia »

brianjd

• Level 1 Member
Re: HELP-DNS-343 compatibility with Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »

I am having this issue as well. It is a bug in 10.6.3. It has to do with the extended attributes that the Mac Finder is trying to write. There is a solution that has been posted that is likely to fix the issue. It requires a change on the server (D-Link DNS-343). Modify the server’s smb.conf file Global parameters to include the following line: unix extensions = no

There is no way to directly modify this file on the DNS-343. I understand there is a semi-private beta for firmware 1.04. I'm not sure if this is something that might be set differently in the latest firmware beta...

Any suggestions?

ahalls

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »

I have the same problem with the DNS-321 ... I can't copy my Mac OS X files with the extended attributes with the finder from my Mac to the NAS.  I get the error: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." Very frustrating !!!.  I tried turning on NFS and mounting the file system with NFS but no success there either.  More details of the problem can be found at http://splatdot.com/fixing-snow-leopard-10-6-3-samba-write-access. 

I too am looking for suggestions.

-- A

ahalls

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »

After a bit of internet research it turns out that the DNS-3xx boxes can be hacked ... check out this website
http://wiki.dns323.info/start.  It shows how to setup telnet access, which would allow one to find the SAMBA configuration files and make the suggested "fix".  However this solution might loose the extended attributes, if you copy the files to the NAS and then restore them back to the MAC, which makes me wonder how robust it will be.

What I found more exciting is that this site shows you how to install and configure AFP (Apple Filing Protocol)  Apple's version of SMB/SAMBA which would be a more robust and user friendly solution.   I'm going to explore both these options and report back!
-- A

chrisl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »

I'm having read/write permission problems with my DNS-343 and a Mac running 10.6.3

When I browse through the finder after physically plugging into the network I can see the DNS-343 and I can see the Volume_1 and other user volumes. But when I try to open them I get a message from the finder that "The operation can't be completed because the original item for '[the volume name]' can't be found."

When I connect via FTP through the finder I can see everything in the volumes but my permissions are only to read - not to write. This is despite creating a user profile for FTP via the DNS-343's web management tool that does grant r/w access.

Any ideas?

I'd prefer to not have to ffp or monkey around with the drive.

THX,

Chris

ahalls

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »

I have found a solution to my problem (MAC files not copying to the NAS because of extended attributes)  ... it involves a hack to make changes to the device's smb.conf as suggested earlier in this thread.  I'm using information I found at the site http://wiki.dns323.info, this site shows you how to hack this family of NAS devices to install all kinds of linux services.  I played around with it for a bit and decided I had other things to do with my life.   But did find a way to add the following two lines to the smb.conf file:

unix extensions = no
large readwrite = no

create a file with the name: fun_plug with the following lines

if [ ! -e /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf.org]; then
   cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf.orig
fi

if [ -e /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf ]; then
   cp /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
   mv /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf /mnt/HD_a2/smb.conf.bkup

smb restart
fi

Copy this file to the top level directory you have access too. On my device its /Volume_1,
change the permission of this file to execute with the shell command:

chmod 777 fun_plug

You can do this by opening a terminal session and cd /Volumes/Volume_1 ... or you can do these two steps through ftp, if you turn the ftp services on, on your NAS.

Reboot your NAS once.  Find the file smb.conf.orig copy it to smb.conf add the two lines above into the global section.  Reboot your NAS again.  Check to see if a smb.conf.bkup was created. 

Hope this helps!

-- A

jimmah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »

Thanks so much for this solution!  I've been working on this problem all day and then just added those two lines to my samba config file and voila!

Great solution!

--Jimmah

movingpictsllc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »

Can anyone please post a (simple) step by step way of doing this, I am so new to this? 

I am sooooo lost and I cant write to the drive from my mac, I can only read the drive.  I need to backup so many files and dlink was NO HELP at all.  They had me only update to new beta firmware that did NOTHING!  Please, please, please help.  Thanks soooooo much in advance. 

boli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »

Yes please I just spent two hours on the phone with Dlink Support, the guy had me jumping through all kinds of hoops and ended up telling me to return it to the store and get another one!

Does this solution work?  Is it a hacky kind of thing that will burn me down the line, or once this is done will this device be reliable for backups?  Will later versions of OS X fix this, you think?

I have a windows XP system which seems able to connect  to the Dlink.  I don' t have a linux system though -- is that required for the solution above to work?  It isn't clear how the "fun_plug" file manages to insert the lines:
   unix extensions = no
   large readwrite = no
into anything?

Thanks
B
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:16:24 PM by boli »

movingpictsllc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »

anyone?  please this is hurting my office work flow so much!  Please HELP....

brianjd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »

Good News... Mac OS 10.6.4 is out. It has resolved the issue for me. Completely. If I dare say it... my performance on the NAS seems better than ever.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »

Good News... Mac OS 10.6.4 is out. It has resolved the issue for me. Completely. If I dare say it... my performance on the NAS seems better than ever.

Just to comment from D-Link's side, we have also upgraded our MACs to 10.6.4 and the permissions issue went away. I guess Apple decided to play nice with others :). This is good news because I thought we were going to have to change something else in 1.04 to fix compatibility but we can skip that now.