• April 25, 2024, 05:18:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need help configuring DAP-1522 and DIR-825  (Read 4260 times)

chromogrinch

• Level 1 Member
Need help configuring DAP-1522 and DIR-825
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »

I'm sure similar questions have been asked but I haven't found an answer yet.  I guess you can call me a moderate user and can't seem to figure this out.

So just recently purchased the DIR-825 and DAP-1522.  At this point I just want to get the DAP-1522 to work as a wireless access point to my DIR-825.  So my wireless laptop would connect wirelessly to the DAP-1522 and the 1522 would go wireless to the router.  Pretty basic I guess.  I was planning on using the WAP to strengthen the 5 GHz signal to the router but again, at this point, I would be happy to get the 2.4 GHz working.

I've been working on this since last night and got frustrated and went to bed.  I woke up fresh and decided to try again and I'm not having making any headway.

Also, I'm sure you will let me know if the above configuration makes sense and I welcome all suggestions.

So this is basically how I've set up so far:

DIR-825 is connected to my DSL modem and has no problem accessing the internet.  I can connect to either 2.4 or 5.0 directly from my laptop with no problem at all and have access to the internet.  Encryption is disabled.  It worked with encryption but I turned it off to troubleshoot this AP problem.

It should be simple but I must be doing something wrong.  BTW is there a way to scan for network devices from the router or the access point?  I tried discovering each device with the wireless setup button on each device but they don't recognize each other so I'm configuring this manually.

So the DAP has access point enabled and 802.11 is running in mixed mode.  I've tried different variations but nothing has worked.  I've tried 20 mhz and 20-40 auto mhz channels but same problem.  Wireless security is off for troubleshooting at the moment.

DHCP server is disabled and I've assigned the DAP an available ip from the router's dhcp range.  I can connect to the DAP both wirelessly and hard wired.  The problem is that it can't seem to connect to the router.  So my laptop can connect to the router and ha internet access.  And it can also connect to the DAP but does not have internet access.  The ip is showing auto configuration 169.x.x.x when connected to the DAP so I'm not getting an ip.  Is the router supposed to assign the ip to my laptop through the DAP?  But again, if the DAP can't communicate with the router, then that would explain why I can't get an IP.

This should be simple but I know I must be doing something wrong or missing something.  I also might not even doing this right so let me know. lol

Anyway, any help to get this going would be greatly appreciated.  I lost my mind last night and would like to get this figured out before I lose it again today. Thanks for any help.

grandforker

• Level 2 Member
Re: Need help configuring DAP-1522 and DIR-825
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

So my wireless laptop would connect wirelessly to the DAP-1522 and the 1522 would go wireless to the router. 

I have a DAP-1522 and a DIR-825. I'm using the DAP as a bridge rather than an access point. However, If I'm reading your post correctly, I believe that you're attempting to get the DAP to do something it can't do. In AP mode, the DAP must be plugged into the router. In bridge mode, the DAP must be plugged into the ethernet port of the device (or devices) it's serving.

In other words, it can't operate as a totally wireless device and manage communications between your router and your laptop without being connected by wire to one or the other. To do what you want to do, you'd need something like the Hawking HWREN1 range extender.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=105&ProdID=394

I use the DAP-1522 to stream video to my Blu-ray player on the DIR-825's 5GHz band. I use the HWREN1 to extend the 2.4GHz band's range to the second floor of our house. (The router is in the basement.)