• April 17, 2024, 10:24:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Frustrated! Can't get "Server Type" to work in Event Setup  (Read 43047 times)

TD99

• Level 2 Member
Frustrated! Can't get "Server Type" to work in Event Setup
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

OK, so I've been using six DCS-930L cameras for the past few years. There was a learning curve, but I survived.

Now, I'm taking a stab at my new DCS-2332L because I wanted 720 res., outdoor/weatherproof, and night vision. However after 3 nights of troubleshooting, I'm on the verge of returning it due to the frustrations I've encountered (and I'm a Sr. Network Engineer by trade!).

I figured out that the Motion Detection tab isn't displayed when using Firefox, so now I'm on IE. I've managed to get Motion Detection to record to the installed SD Card, but I cannot for the life of me get Email, FTP, or Network Storage working. All I get is the very unhelpful "Test Error".

I've used the same Email and FTP settings working on my DCS-930L cameras -- result? "Test Error".

I see that there's a new "Network Storage" option! Great! I can enter the path to my Synology DS211+ NAS, right? Nope. "Test Error".  ???

Has anyone had any luck with Email, FTP, or Network Storage? I use FTP on my DCS-930L cameras and they always FTP the images to my Synology -- usually without issues.

I should mention that had it working with the Synology's Surveillance Station for a night, but that uses a lot of wi-fi bandwidth since it's constantly streaming the video feed to the NAS. So I disabled that test.

The DCS-930L is now $30 (I originally paid $60 apiece). The DCS-2332L is currently $149 -- five times the price of the DCS-930L, so if I can't get this guy working soon, it's going back.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:16:05 PM by TD99 »

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member
Re: Frustrated! Can't get "Server Type" to work in Event Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »

Yes, I've gotten all three to work.  The network drive option required the most experimentation -- and in fact I don't think the "test" ever returned a success message, but the files were being written to the drive.

Let's start with email, which should be the easiest to get working.  Can you post the settings you're trying (changing any details needed for privacy)?

BelgianEvo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:30:13 AM »

I have the FTP (uploading 2 images each time) working, and when doing the test i get the message "Test OK"

Here is a screenshot of my Event-Server

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/9287/f8tu.jpg

rstark18

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »

I use both email and network storage.I send from a yahoo acct to a gmail acct to send a 10 pic series of PIR events. It also then sends the corresponding 30 sec video to my NAS. Been working flawless for a month now.
I also have two 930L for indoor and if I remember correctly the settings for email ended up needing to be different.

What email and NAS settings are you using?

TD99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »

Here's what I've tried so far.

Note: these are the same EMAIL and FTP settings I am using on my six DCS-930L cameras:

EMAIL
Sender email address = [myaccount]@gmail.com (doesn't really matter what one uses here since Gmaill will resolve to actual sender)
Recipient email address = [myaccount]@gmail.com
Server address = smtp.gmail.com
User name = [myaccount]@gmail.com
Password = [my gmail password]
Port = 587 (Which is what I am using for my DCS-930L cameras)
This server requires a secure connection (StarTLS) = YES

FTP
Server address = [IP of my NAS]
Port = 21
User name = [An account on my NAS, same one I use for the DCS-930L]
Password = [NAS account's password]
Remote folder name = /web/security/hd-camera
Passive mode = YES (just like with my DCS-930L)

Network Storage
Network storage location = \\DISKSTATION\Web\Security\HD-Camera (MY DCS930L cameras each have their own folder as well and they work fine)
Workgroup = [leave blank as there isn't one; my CIFS folders are reachable by any computer on the LAN]
User name = [I have tried with a NAS account and with it blank, no luck]
Password = [NAS account's password, otherwise blank]
Primary WINS Server = [blank]

SD Card
[This is the only option that "Tests OK" and works]

rstark18

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

For email:
I'm pretty sure I tried different ports but ended up having to use 25 AND have secure connection YES.
I thought this was a Yahoo issue but I guess it's a firmware bug.

FTP:
I'm not using.

NAS:
I had to use the IP of my NAS (for me \\192.168.1.10\DoorCam)
For user name it needed my NAS login (admin) and password.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »

Does your email or password have special characters?  Anything that isn't a letter?
Try plain characters first. . And not more than 8 or 10 characters.

Here's what I've tried so far.

Note: these are the same EMAIL and FTP settings I am using on my six DCS-930L cameras:

EMAIL
Sender email address = [myaccount]@gmail.com (doesn't really matter what one uses here since Gmaill will resolve to actual sender)
Recipient email address = [myaccount]@gmail.com
Server address = smtp.gmail.com
User name = [myaccount]@gmail.com
Password = [my gmail password]
Port = 587 (Which is what I am using for my DCS-930L cameras)
This server requires a secure connection (StarTLS) = YES

FTP
Server address = [IP of my NAS]
Port = 21
User name = [An account on my NAS, same one I use for the DCS-930L]
Password = [NAS account's password]
Remote folder name = /web/security/hd-camera
Passive mode = YES (just like with my DCS-930L)

Network Storage
Network storage location = \\DISKSTATION\Web\Security\HD-Camera (MY DCS930L cameras each have their own folder as well and they work fine)
Workgroup = [leave blank as there isn't one; my CIFS folders are reachable by any computer on the LAN]
User name = [I have tried with a NAS account and with it blank, no luck]
Password = [NAS account's password, otherwise blank]
Primary WINS Server = [blank]

SD Card
[This is the only option that "Tests OK" and works]

TD99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »

Yes, my Gmail password has special characters in it (I use KeePass to manage all of my accounts, so randomly-generated passwords similar to "`j_fi(s%E=e,k6LK!77b" are not uncommon).

That said, I have decided to return the camera. Will stick to the six DCS-930L's for now. The "HD" images weren't much better than the 480p images I'm getting currently.

I appreciate everyone's input!

queeg505

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »

Unless you point it to a WINS server in the Event setup for NAS or other network share it has no way of resolving the friendly name to an IP address, that seems to be why the test fails, just type in the IP address of the share eg \\192.168.0.1\sharename and then the test passes and it starts writing files.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »

Well - that was a guess.
I'm not 100% positive it's what is causing your issues.

Yes, my Gmail password has special characters in it (I use KeePass to manage all of my accounts, so randomly-generated passwords similar to "`j_fi(s%E=e,k6LK!77b" are not uncommon).

That said, I have decided to return the camera. Will stick to the six DCS-930L's for now. The "HD" images weren't much better than the 480p images I'm getting currently.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Acumen

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:23:50 AM »

Hi TD99,

I am struggling with the same FTP issue here and am wondering if you managed to solve it.
My 5222L is working perfectly, Filezilla does not give a problem but the 2332L keeps failing on credentials (as the Syno log sais) when setting up a FTP connection to my Synology. Connecting to the externally hosted FTP server does work...

Mail, Network storage and SD work fine by the way. It dit before and after I upgraded to Firmware Version    1.01.04

Acumen

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:04:10 AM »

Hi TD99,

I am struggling with the same FTP issue here and am wondering if you managed to solve it.
My 5222L is working perfectly, Filezilla does not give a problem but the 2332L keeps failing on credentials (as the Syno log sais) when setting up a FTP connection to my Synology. Connecting to the externally hosted FTP server does work...

Mail, Network storage and SD work fine by the way. It dit before and after I upgraded to Firmware Version    1.01.04

Well somehow I have seen the light on this one... Guess what... If you refer to the directory (also known as Folder under Windows  ;) ) do not enter the "root-slash".

In other words, if the directory you want to store your data on is on /home/Cam1, skip the first slash and for me the problem was solved.

SixSigmaGuy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »

Can't believe how old this thread is and the problem still exists.  I just purchased a DCS-2332L camera and I've been going crazy for days trying to get it to record to my server.  I tried everything I could think of and, somehow, didn't think of using the IP address instead of the server name.  When I did it, it finally worked.  Thank you to the person who suggested it.  Now, that leads me to wonder why the documentation still says to use \\server_name. 

factory1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »

would you mind sharing your settings?

i have a 2330L that works great with email and ftp but i have yet to get it to record on my server.

rstark18

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »

would you mind sharing your settings?

i have a 2330L that works great with email and ftp but i have yet to get it to record on my server.

Use the server's IP address (i.e. \\192.168.1.10\FrontDoor\). This works for me
Pages: [1] 2 3