• March 18, 2024, 08:52:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Configuring QoS engine for torrents  (Read 21519 times)

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
Configuring QoS engine for torrents
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »

I have a 8Mbit/512Kbit cable modem connection. If I set uTorrent with no limit on upload speed I find that all my other activity slows down. If I limit the upload to 30 KByte/second it's fine. I know the downlink is not at fault because it never runs at capacity.

How do I configure the DIR-825 (Rev. B1 firmware 2.02NA) QoS Engine to prioritize the uTorrent upload activity to be the lowest?

All the torrent activity comes from one dedicated machine so I've set a QoS rule:

Priority: 8
Local IP Range: 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.3
Protocol: Any
Remote IP Range: 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255

This doesn't seem to have any effect. I've tried it with Automatic Classification on and off. And I've tried setting the Uplink Speed to my true speed (512) and even lower (384). None of these seem to do anything.

user11

• Level 2 Member
Re: Configuring QoS engine for torrents
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »

A Kbit value must be divided by 8(8 bits per Byte) to get the KByte. 8Mbits = 1MByte and 512Kbits = 64KBytes, so at best you only have 50-60KBps of upload. Not a whole lot to work with, the applications you want to add to QoS include all but uTorrent, so any VoIP or apps that need bandwidth to work properly.

The reason you don't want uTorrent in the QoS, even at lowest priority, is anything not in the list will be prioritized after it. Basically making uTorrent highest priority over all traffic if it is only app in the list. H/W Rev. B1 QoS only has priority value scale of 1-8, allowing maybe eight apps to be listed total. Can't list them all, so just don't put uTorrent in at all, add only apps you need to run smoothly.

The newest uTorrent v2.0 with uTP which will auto add latency, just like QoS but more precise, to uTorrent while trying to browse the web.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:03:17 AM by user11 »
DIR-825 A1 F/W 1.13NA
TRENDnet TEW-652BRP V1.1R F/W DD-WRT v24 build 14896
Netgear FWG114Pv1 F/W 2.0r18

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »

I've also tried it with no rules and Automatic Classification turned on.

user11

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »

You're missing the point, add what you want to work to the list, do not add uTorrent. Try the new uTorrent version that is out, it may help with browsing while torrenting. Leaving the QoS list blank doesn't provide any benefit if your goal is to have applications you use run smoothly while also torrenting, adding only uTorrent to the QoS list(DON'T DO IT) even at lowest priority will make it highest priority over all other non specified traffic. ONLY add applications(NOT uTorrent) you want to run smoothly to the QoS list!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:23:40 AM by user11 »
DIR-825 A1 F/W 1.13NA

hachi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »

You're missing the point, add what you want to work to the list, do not add uTorrent. Try the new uTorrent version that is out, it may help with browsing while torrenting. Leaving the QoS list blank doesn't provide any benefit if your goal is to have applications you use run smoothly while also torrenting, adding only uTorrent to the QoS list(DON'T DO IT) even at lowest priority will make it highest priority over all other non specified traffic. ONLY add applications(NOT uTorrent) you want to run smoothly to the QoS list!

are you saying autoclass has only 8 ranks or is it really total 8 possible apps? if the latter is true then qos for B1 firmware has really been gutted, since A1 rev has unclassified traffic ranked at 128 out of 256 total with both ip and port ranges. assuming you shut off autoclass, which of course you would need to do if you want to handle the queue with custom settings. so anything 129 and above will get demoted, this is how my setup works since I need ranking in both directions, you should be able to see a ranking entry per connection in the logs.

it's also logically more efficient in this case, if torrent traffic is the only major factor of consumption, because it's easier to isolate. I wouldn't really consider relying on utp, especially when dealing with multiple clients, because it doesn't actually know what the limits are, and can only react to saturation after it's already affected your connection.

I have a 8Mbit/512Kbit cable modem connection. If I set uTorrent with no limit on upload speed I find that all my other activity slows down. If I limit the upload to 30 KByte/second it's fine. I know the downlink is not at fault because it never runs at capacity.

How do I configure the DIR-825 (Rev. B1 firmware 2.02NA) QoS Engine to prioritize the uTorrent upload activity to be the lowest?

All the torrent activity comes from one dedicated machine so I've set a QoS rule:

This doesn't seem to have any effect. I've tried it with Automatic Classification on and off. And I've tried setting the Uplink Speed to my true speed (512) and even lower (384). None of these seem to do anything.

any particular reason you need to do it through the hardware instead of using the client limiter? it's much easier that way for a single client, there's really no point to it unless you need to delegate these resources among more than 2 clients or apps. turning off autoclass and setting an uplink speed is really all you should need to do besides the actual ranking, so it must be something else.

*unless you are totally getting shafted by your isp, because if you come anywhere near your cap it would of course cancel out your own queueing. you should try even lower than 384, start with 256 and work your way up. this is really sensitive to your global cap, that's just the way qos works.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:26:34 PM by hachi »

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »

I'm using the new uTorrent 2.0 with bandwidth management enabled.

I've added a rule for all my other machines and disabled all other rules:

Priority: 1
Local IP Range: 192.168.0.4 to 255.255.255.255

Still does not seem to make any difference. I've tried with Automatic Classification off and on and Uplink speed set at a variety of speeds.

Even setting a rule for the uTorrent machine (192.168.0.3) to have priority 1 does not seem to make it much worse. As far as I can tell the QoS Engine does not make any difference; only changing the upload throttle in uTorrent does anything.

I'm testing by loading this page from Flickr. It loads 9 medium-size images. Is the nature of the intermittent HTTP queries difficult for the QoS Engine to handle, as opposed to steady connections that torrenting and file transfers use?

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

are you saying autoclass has only 8 ranks or is it really total 8 possible apps? if the latter is true then qos for B1 firmware has really been gutted, since A1 rev has unclassified traffic ranked at 128 out of 256 total with both ip and port ranges. assuming you shut off autoclass, which of course you would need to do if you want to handle the queue with custom settings. so anything 129 and above will get demoted, this is how my setup works since I need ranking in both directions, you should be able to see a ranking entry per connection in the logs.
It has 8 ranks, but you can set up to 10 rules.

How do you enable the ranking entries in logs?

any particular reason you need to do it through the hardware instead of using the client limiter? it's much easier that way for a single client, there's really no point to it unless you need to delegate these resources among more than 2 clients or apps. turning off autoclass and setting an uplink speed is really all you should need to do besides the actual ranking, so it must be something else.
I'd like for the torrent uploads to go at full speed if I'm not using the connection for anything else.

user11

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »

Clearly you are stating you want both web and p2p to work or you wouldn't have mentioned activity slowing, priority 8(lowest) would also lead me to believe you were trying to slow p2p to allow web to work. Your download can easily be saturated by p2p and slow web and other activity. QoS is designed to add latency(slow) to apps that are not specified(in the list) and guarantee those with highest priority all the bandwidth possible. If I limit the upload to 30 KByte/second it's fine... whats fine? web? you have about 50-60KBps available to use.
I'd like for the torrent uploads to go at full speed if I'm not using the connection for anything else.
By taking uTorrent out of the QoS list, it will use full bandwidth when you are not using anything else, just add web and other apps you want to work while you torrent to the QoS list and everything will be fine. Take uTorrent out of the QoS list already!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:29:41 PM by user11 »
DIR-825 A1 F/W 1.13NA

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »

I have!

user11

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »

I'm using the new uTorrent 2.0 with bandwidth management enabled.

Still does not seem to make any difference. I've tried with Automatic Classification off and on and Uplink speed set at a variety of speeds.

Even setting a rule for the uTorrent machine (192.168.0.3) to have priority 1 does not seem to make it much worse. As far as I can tell the QoS Engine does not make any difference; only changing the upload throttle in uTorrent does anything.

I'm testing by loading this page from Flickr. It loads 9 medium-size images. Is the nature of the intermittent HTTP queries difficult for the QoS Engine to handle, as opposed to steady connections that torrenting and file transfers use?

Protocol *Any* will not work, it includes uTorrent...and I say again take it out of the list!! or just limit it in uTorrent for like 40KBps
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:20:25 AM by user11 »
DIR-825 A1 F/W 1.13NA

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »

I say again, I have removed the uTorrent rule from the list!

The rule I added is for all my other machines that do not torrent, so all activity from those machines should be promoted. The torrenting machine is 192.168.0.3.

user11

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:51 AM »

Obviously you haven't, even with ALL other computers setup for protocol any, you had a conflicting priority with uTorrent. Leave it out, set it to priority 8(only if all other apps are higher priority) and set specific port, or just use it's own limiter. Using protocol any might also be too broad, try specific applications.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:28:21 AM by user11 »
DIR-825 A1 F/W 1.13NA

Kent Wang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »

Your advice makes no sense. Your reading comprehension is lacking as well.

I have finally found something that works fairly well.

I had to set the Manual Uplink speed to 800. Even though I know my real cap is around 512 (the highest I have ever seen uploads in uTorrent is 64 KByte). Using the routers own measurement, it also determines it as 512.Testing on DSL Reports actually shows my real upload speed to be around 250 kbps.

But setting the uplink to a very low value was counter-productive. At 100, even with no torrent activity, browsing was slow. At 250-600, torrents slowed browsing. At 700-800, I can actually have torrents with no limit and browsing is almost as fast as with no torrent activity. Of course, having torrents off is still the fastest, but I think this is a good solution. At 1000 and higher, it seems a bit slower.

I'm not sure why setting the uplink to higher than the real value works better. I would actually think that setting it lower would work better.

The rules I used are setting 192.168.0.3 to priority 8 and 192.168.0.4-255.255.255.255 to priority 1, Automatic Classification off. I imagine if you have torrents and regular activity coming from the same machine you could use a port limit rule.

user11

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »

Your advice makes no sense. Your reading comprehension is lacking as well.

The rules I used are setting 192.168.0.3 to priority 8 and 192.168.0.4-255.255.255.255 to priority 1, Automatic Classification off. I imagine if you have torrents and regular activity coming from the same machine you could use a port limit rule.

OMG!! you finally got it, you're so stubborn it's you who has the reading comp issue. In my last post I bold your mistake, both rules were priority 1 (conflict) now you have made the torrent machine priority 8 (wow how long did it take to get that through...) or it would have also worked by removing it completely(better solution imo). Try to also specify ports of applications used to dial down the QoS functionality.

Finding that with the current settings for uplink speed, and applying my advice... it is working. The problem wasn't my advice had you just dialed down QoS to specific ports, most likely the adjustment to uplink wouldn't have been needed. Until that adjustment to uplink, nothing you tried worked... even taking uTorrent out of QoS per my advice didn't seem to change did it? If you had specified specific ports of applications I am sure it would have functioned fine(not using protocol any-too broad) at the true uplink speed setting. You seem to have only found a workaround which will also work without uTorrent in the list as per advice given. MAKE SENSE?!?!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:55:09 PM by user11 »
DIR-825 A1 F/W 1.13NA