• April 19, 2024, 01:16:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: BUG: Dynamic DNS being disabled intermitantly in firmware 1.20"NA"  (Read 10544 times)

DIR-855 :-(

• Level 2 Member

Hi There;

Here is another one to add to the pile. It appears that the Dynamic DNS feature can become disabled by the router. This has happened to me three times already.

I have a dyndns account and had enabled it in the router with the "connected" notification in the page. Later on down the track I noticed that I had received an email from DynDns saying that it was going to be suspended if I didn't use it soon. So I checked in my router and sure enough it was disabled. I thought nothing of it and re-enabled it again.

Then many weeks later, I tried to access my NAS and it wouldn't connect. (This is not the SSL issue on the router in case some of you are thinking that, the IP was valid, SSL from WAN just doesn't work). When I checked the router, yet again, it had been disabled. This happened yet again yesterday. Something is automatically disabling the feature.

To answer some of the obvious questions, no i didn't reset the router settings and no I did not reload my settings into the router from the config file.

Everything appears to be as it should except for the DNS setting. The problem was evident from the 1.20 betas to the production release.

Am I wasting my time reporting these bugs on this site. Should I continue or not bother?

• Level 2 Member
Re: BUG: Dynamic DNS being disabled intermitantly in firmware 1.20"NA"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:17:01 AM »

Well I checked dyndns this morning and my router had updated the IP address about an hour ago. This night, I checked the router and like the typical poor quality that this router is, it was disabled again.

I am so underwhelmed by this router and what really bothers me is that I apparently I cannot flash back to the previous firmware. How on earth did this firmware progress to production with some very obvious flaws. Better yet, why is this router a platinum router?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »

Have you checked the log and found out why your Dynamic DNS is being disabled, it will show in the log.
How often is your IP updating?

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:38 PM »

It happened again this morning and so I had a look in the log and couldn't find anything obvious.

I have cleared the log and will wait till I loose the setting again. Once that happens I can email the log to you.

I haven't paid attention to how often the IP changes but have noted now and will keep on eye on it. At a guess, I think it is daily.

>:(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:20:17 PM by whoisnader »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »

If it's dailly your account might have been de-activated for abuse, or updating to frequently. I'd check with the DynDNS site, it should have a log of your activity.

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »

That doesn't sound right. I am logging into my dnydns account and checking it regularly to ensure that it has the correct IP address as I stated in the previous posts and there is no indication of it being de-activated.

Here is the excert of the abusive updates:
"Dynamic DNS hosts should only be updated when their IP addresses change. If your update client sends unnecessary updates to our systems, these updates are logged as abusive; too many abusive updates will result in the hosts being blocked for abuse. A blocked host cannot be updated until it is unblocked by our support staff. If a host remains blocked for too long, it will be deleted from the system."

If the router send updates with new IP addresses, then this is not an abusive update.

The IP is definately changed since yesterday and the router has updated DynDNS so my IP changes don't "appear" to be the cause of this router disabling the dynamic DNS feature by itself.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:29:32 PM by whoisnader »

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »

Well this has happened a further three more times since my last post and www.dyndns.com have definitely not indicated any abuse of service.

Am I the only one being frustrated by this issue.

jroumagnac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:59 AM »

No your are not the only one, I have the DIR-655 (firmware 1.21) and my problem seems to be similar.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »

I'm able to use BOTH of those routers without issue with my dyndns account.

nicceg

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »

I am running 1.13eu using eurodns without problems. The problem could be subsequent changes in the code or the dns provider.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »

i'm using the same DynDNS and the same firmware without fail. Something else is going on there.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 08:41:46 AM »

I'm able to use BOTH of those routers without issue with my dyndns account.

Same here with both of them.
But we often saw problems with country specific or other special characters in the password or username.
Seems different codepages are used in the router and at DynDNS services.

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »

i'm using the same DynDNS and the same firmware without fail. Something else is going on there.

I have to say I really love it when multiple customers tell support there is a problem and they come back with "but it works for me".

I have given up on this router and have moved my DynDNS sync to my QNAP file server. It does the ip SYNC without fail. So don't give me this "hoopla" about how it must be us because it works for you. I can make it work with my file server but this this "premium" router just isn't up to the task.

If QNAP can do it, then so can you guys, step up to the challenge and stop firing off comments like "but it works for me".

Pannus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »

I am having the same problem as well. Need to power on/ff router daily.

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »

I might have a suspicion as to why this is happening.

For those that are experiencing this problem, do you have some other server on the network that may be acting as a WINS server and or a domain master? This can include a home file server (NAS).