• March 28, 2024, 05:11:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FIOS & DGL 4500  (Read 45144 times)

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
FIOS & DGL 4500
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:04:30 AM »

Well I got FIOS and I wanted to replace the Actiontec Router that they gave me with my DGL-4500.  I have been reading DSL Reports forums and it shouldn't be a problem.  But for me, it's just not working.  I think I've narrowed it down to my DGL-4500.  This is the thread I had started on DSL Reports.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22678588-fiber-tech-Fios-Internet-3520TV-D-Link-DGL4500

When I connect my DGL to FIOS i get a new IP address.  I do get a connection to the internet but it's definetly not a good one.  When I ping yahoo.com and google.com i get 25-50% packet loss.  I'm running Firmware 1.15 and bought my DGL when it first came out.  Could it be possible there is a setting that I'm missing that I need to change to get it to work?  Or possibly I need to exchange my router?  Does revision A/B matter?

Thank you all in advance.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:54:28 AM by jojorios »

MrDoomMaster

• Level 2 Member
Re: FIOS & DGL 4500
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »

Hello,

In my case, my ActionTec router was connected via a coaxial cable, so I was unable to directly plug in my DGL-4500. What I did was turn the ActionTec router into a bridge and that works perfectly. My DGL maintains the WAN IP and other configuration settings just as if the ActionTec was never there to begin with.

You can do some Googling on this, but here is a guide to get you started on setting up the ActionTec as a bridge if you want to go that route:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19559467-How-To-MI424WR-Network-Bridge-working-FIOS-TV

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »

Actually my Actiontec was originally through Coaxial.  I have already called up and switched over to the Ethernet connection.  This is where I'm completely stuck.  I receive an Ip fine from FIOS on my DGL but as far as internet connection goes, it's like it doesn't exist.  I can ping websites but get all sorts of packet loss.  The google main page comes up after about 20 seconds but after that everything else times out.  I suspect it's my DGL.  I bought it about a year ago.  Does anyone think I might be able to call up DLink and get an exchange for a new one?

EJeanmaire

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:56 PM »

What happens if you connect directly to the FIOS ONT (box, whatever), take the router of the equation and see if you still have trouble.

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »

Hmmm now sure how that would work.  I'll definetly give it a try tonight and see.  I'll post results later.  IF i did need to change my router though, do you guys think it would be easy with D-Link or are they gonna make it a very hard process?

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

Well I connected my PC directly to the ONT and i get an IP and full internet.  So it's looks it's down to the DGL.  I'm currently on the phone with them trying to get an RMA.

MidwayMayhem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:59:05 AM »

Try adjusting the MTU setting on your DGL.  Just doing a quick search, it looks like Fios should be 1492. 

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:08:07 AM »

Yep, I had tried that also.   No luck.

ek703

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 07:38:59 AM »

I replaced the actiontec router with the dgl-4500 successfully.  Only thing I had to do was call verizon so they could break the DHCP lease.  Speed is a little improved, prioritized vonage in QoS - phone seems better.  I replaced the actiontec with the dgl because bandwidth was bad and would drop periodically.  The dgl is a little better but requires a daily reboot which is more frequent than the actiontec needed.  Another issue is that I couldn't entirely divorce the actiontec because the cable boxes get their content from the ethernet connection and not the coax as some have alluded to in the past.  The actiontec is now plugged in on the inside interface of the dgl and the fios programming information has been restored. 

Side note:
Not sure why the router needs constant rebooting.  I have read in a couple of places that there might be an issue with the 1.20 firmware.  Hopefully there will be an update soon.  Anyone know how to fix?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

Try adjusting the MTU setting on your DGL.  Just doing a quick search, it looks like Fios should be 1492. 

No, Fios MTU should NOT be 1492.  Not sure where you read that, but it is wrong.  1500 which is default, is what it should be left at, due to the high amount of bandwidth.  Anything lower than that could cause disconnects.  I assume you are saying it should be 1492 due to some older installs using PPPoE, rather than DHCP.

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »

Yeah since i'm on DHCP so it should be 1500 which is my default.  I did try 1492 just to test last week and it didn't change anything.  Still no internet.  Hopefully I should have my new router by end of this week.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

Try locking the WAN port speed to 100Mbps.

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »

Unfortunately, I tried that also and nothing.  The whole way this isn't working is just strange.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »

Unfortunately, I tried that also and nothing.  The whole way this isn't working is just strange.

It's weird.  I'm using Fios, since I just moved.  My install is using Coax, however I do not have an AT router (Westell instead), and it is behind my DGL-4500.  Everything is just peachy except for the other quirks.  I'll do some testing to see if I can help you further.

EJeanmaire

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »

Another issue is that I couldn't entirely divorce the actiontec because the cable boxes get their content from the ethernet connection and not the coax as some have alluded to in the past.  The actiontec is now plugged in on the inside interface of the dgl and the fios programming information has been restored. 

I'm pretty sure you have to set some IP address reservations for the boxes, they insist on having addresses in a certain range, 192.168.1.100-1XX I believe (its been awhile).

Side note:
Not sure why the router needs constant rebooting.  I have read in a couple of places that there might be an issue with the 1.20 firmware.  Hopefully there will be an update soon.  Anyone know how to fix?

Welcome to the party; and no, there is no fix.
Pages: [1] 2 3