• March 29, 2024, 07:51:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615  (Read 761456 times)

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
Re: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »

Has anyone had success with PPPoE WAN using a DIR-615 C1 dd-wrt flashed router?
I've been using dd-wrt build 14896 on my C1 router since it was released last August. It's been rock steady for me. The only time I've had to reboot was after a power failure months ago. Is the router dropping your internet connection (i.e. both wired and wireless) or is the wireless dropping out?
Some suggestions:
(1) Revert to the factory default settings before you upload new firmware. Your old settings may conflict with new firmware, which can brick your router.
(2) Reboot both your modem and router after you reconfigure your router settings. Unplug both and give them 30-60 seconds to settle. Then power up the modem and give it another 30-60 seconds to re-establish itself. Now power on the router and wait until it establishes a stable connection.
(3) Avoid DHCP if you can. My two computers (one wired, one wireless) and wired print server all have static IPs outside the range of the DHCP server (e.g. 192.168.1.254). My wife's work network requires her to use DHCP. I've assigned a static IP to her laptop's MAC address (under the Services tab on the dd-wrt config page), so DHCP always gives her the same address on our home net.
(4) C1 routers are picky about antenna chains (under Wireless Advanced settings). I get best results with TX 1+2+3 and RX 1+3. If you set them to 1+2 (since the router has only two antennas), your wireless will fail.
I could give you my basic setup and wireless settings, but they're all pretty standard. PM me if you want them. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:30:53 AM by stonetownmike »

marbles_00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions STM.  It's the wired side that's dropping.  I'm not really using the wireless in this router right now (I have an AP that's in a better/more centralized location), and I've opted to shut it off both in the factory firmware and dd-wrt.
1) Reverting to factory defaults is something I hadn't thought about yet.  Will try it.
2) Rebooting I hadn't really considered either...silly me
3) Yeah, DHCP is off, all my network uses static IP's.  I like to keep record of what's what.
4) Since I don't use wireless, would this really matter?  Would this somehow affect the PPPoE wired connection to the modem?  I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks again.

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2011, 11:14:47 AM »

4) Since I don't use wireless, would this really matter?  Would this somehow affect the PPPoE wired connection to the modem?
No, it won't matter. I'd guessed that your problem was with the wireless side, since that's what everybody else seems to complain about. One thought: Do you have Force Reconnect enabled on your PPPoE setup? It's the opposite of what you might expect. It should be disabled.

marbles_00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »

Nope that setting is disabled.  At one point I did try it enabled, but didn't notice any improvement, so I leave it disabled.  The one thing I did notice is that PPPoE settings with dd-wrt don't have a "Connect on Demand" setting that the D-Link's firmware has.  I remember when I first got my DI-604, I had a connection issue to my ISP.  When I talked to my ISP, they asked if I had "Always On" checked off, which at the time, I did.  My ISP told me to check the "On Demand" setting instead.  Is there a sort of setting like this with the dd-wrt firmware that I may have missed?

Also I was reading this guide here: http://jpgeeks.com/?p=337
It's for a "G" version, did I miss something on setting up the VLAN Tagging?  I just left it as is, I think eth0.

*EDIT*
Also on page 10 of these posts, user M4P mentions something about PPPoE relay under the Services tab.  I didn't notice this setting at all.  I did a google search on dd-wrt pppoe relay, and found dd-wrt posts which indicate pppoe relay is similar to VLAN tagging?  I will have to play some more tonight.  STM, what does your firmware version show, and did you setup pppoe relay, or VLAN tagging?

*EDIT 2*
Okay, I looked at his previous post and realize he was using 2 routers in his setup, and used pppoe relay to perform his specific task, which is more elaborate to what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:57:51 PM by marbles_00 »

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »

@marbles_00:
My basic settings: PPP Compression, VLAN Tagging, MPPE Encryption, Multi Link, Force reconnect, STP all disabled. MTU: 1492. Gateway and local DNS: both 0:0:0:0. I use OpenDNS's DNS servers: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.220.
I can't find a setting for it, but dd-wrt seems to reconnect automatically if PPPoE disconnects. (There's a Keep Alive setting under the Administration tab, but I don't use it.)
Hope this helps.

marbles_00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »

Thanks Stonetownmike.  I have the same settings disabled too.  I've tried just about everything I can think of, but I'm not having any luck with this.  I was really hoping to use it, but may have to just resort with d-link's 3.13NA firmware.  I don't know what else to try but maybe older dd-wrt firmware versions.  Maybe I may find one that will work for me.

Anyways, thanks for all your help.

marbles_00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

:-[
I knew it.  I knew I did something completely silly (maybe).  Does anyone know what happens if you don't open the firmware in a Hex editor and add "00" to the start of the hardware number?

I wonder if it flashes/loads dd-wrt fine, and one is able to setup dd-wrt, but then have connection issues  ::)  :-[

I guess I'll find out tonight.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:59:55 AM by marbles_00 »

marbles_00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »

Nope, made no difference.  Still can't stay connected for any length of time.  Well back to the crappy factory firmware.

Kumentai

• Level 1 Member
Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615
« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:03 AM »

Successfully installed custom DD-WRT firmware on my DIR-615 D3E router, works like a charm. Also, port forwarding works OK. :)

photon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »

Successfully used DD-WRT on 615e4 for last 2 months over pppoe. But few days ago my provider replace broadband equipment and i have many continues disconnects every day. I try to investigate this issue and have found the cause - sometimes packet on WAN interface has wrong mac which is in turn leads kernel ppp module to drop a connection. This problem also has been met and fixed on asus wl500 router (for example: changelog for wl500g-1.9.2.7-d-r2381 (2010-11-27) contain following entry "pppoe: Ignore PADT packets whose destination address isn't ours"). Patch for asus available at http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#kjJ_yLEz2oM/trunk/kernel/381-pppoe-padt-dest-addr.patch&q=381%20package:http://wl500g%5C.googlecode%5C.com&sa=N&cd=4&ct=rc  Also latest original D-LINK firmware up to DIR615E4_FW511RUB01beta11 has same problem.
So can somebody please help me to build dd-wrt with this patch integrated ?

Smasher

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »

Installed on D-Link DIR-615 rev D.  Working MUCH better than before, no disconnects to router...
Much faster with "browsing" on router. Original firmware slows down the router so much after just one day.

ALLTHOUGH it seems I have a more poor connection to router. Before with original d-link firmware, windows status on wireless netcard showed 144 mbit connection almost all the time... now it shows between 72-112 mbit.

Transter rate before was about 6-7 MB/s  now it's 2-2½ MB/s

Using standard settings on all the wireless settings on router.   Offcourse I have encryption enabled. Just like I had with original firmware.

Router and laptop is at the SAME spot as before.

Anyone have any ideas?

mikk

• Level 1 Member
DD-WRT wireless bridge repeater setup?
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2011, 04:22:11 AM »

I successfully flashed the dd-wrt for the first time, then followed instructions to set up a wireless bridge repeater, but after applying all the settings it wont let me back in unless I do a 10 second reset which allows me to log in with the default 192.168.1.1, but wipes all the settings! I set the 615s ip to 192.168.0.2 as the primary router is 192.168.0.1 .- Is that in 'the same pool'?
"Primary router is configured in a 192.168.1.X subnet and leases DHCP address in the same pool. Secondary router is running DD-WRT v24"
 I'm not sure how changing my pc ip/dns comes into play or how to do it. I'm told to disable dhcp server in the set up tab but there is no option for this? (edit: is it the dns option .. which I should leave blank?) Any help would be appreciated.

I've since tried changing the d-link to 192.168.0.9 but as with the original fw, once any change is made its impossible to log back in untill its reset back to 192.168.1.1 ?

update; I can log in ok now but it tells me there is a possible security key mismatch There is the option for open or shared, for wep I guess its open? and the option for 128 bit 26 hex digit or 64 bit 10 hex digit but it only allows 16 digits of my 26 digit hex key??
Help!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:52:01 AM by mikk »

mikk

• Level 1 Member
bridge repeater for DIR-615?
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »

Can anybody confirm that wireless bridge repeater works with build r16994, or one that does?

shovon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »

Excellent guide! Clean and clear instruction. Superb. I'd like to thank you for your contribution.

Toe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »

This thread is probably dead or close to it, but I wanted to add a few of my own cents for the bridging questions/issues that are discussed every where.

I have a DIR-615 E1 that is running the DD-WRT fw.  I was using the one on the main page (15778) and never got client bridge mode to work.  I tried upgrading to the latest from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/ (which I'm currently using) and still was unsuccessful setting up Client Bridge.

I can verify that just using Client mode does work, though.  Follow the directions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

The thing I had to adjust was to enable the DHCP server in Setup -> Basic Setup -> Network Address Server Settings section.

So just to recap my settings if it helps someone:
Wireless Security:
WPA2 Personal AES

Wireless Basic Settings:
Client
Wireless Network Mode Mixed
Channel Width 20MHz (and copy my main router SSID)
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) 0

Setup Basic Setup:
Connection Type Automatic (DHCP)
STP Disabled
Local address is 192.168.2.1 (main router is on 192.168.1.1)
Assign WAN Port to Switch
DHCP Type DHCP Server
DHCP Server Enabled
Time settings adjusted to my zone (-5)

Security Firewall:
Everything unchecked except Filter Multicast
SPI Firewall Disabled

Setup Advanced Routing:
Gateway

At one point I wasn't sure it was working so I went in to Status -> Wireless -> Site Survey and told it to join.  That step may not be necessary.  I have rebooted the router with power and by command a few times and everything comes back up properly.  The internet light is green, which never happened when I was attempting to configure as Client Bridge.

My main router is not running DD-WRT (not supported apparently).  I would prefer everything to be under the same subnet and have it configured to repeat and bridge, but all the functionality I want is working so I can't complain really.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17