• March 29, 2024, 02:59:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Issue visiting certain websites...  (Read 3750 times)

wenwon

• Level 2 Member
Issue visiting certain websites...
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »

I recently purchased a DIR-857 router and I'm having the following issues:

- I can't connect to a metrics site that I use to monitor a website (I'll explain more in a moment)
- I have had minor issues sending e-mails wirelessly (this has only happened once so I'm not sure if it's the router or not)
- Generally the wireless performance is very good but there have been intermittent performance issues on our wireless devices.  If you're watching a movie on a wireless device, it will sometimes pause even though the signal strength is excellent.

Some information about my set up:

- ISP is called Teksavvy in Canada
- I have a Motorola SB6121 modem

The metrics package I'm trying to connect to is called Mint. It's a self hosted website metrics package that is viewed in a browser. The issue is that when I try to connect to the site, nothing happens. I'll click reload and once again, nothing happens.  Usually on the third or fourth attempt, the site loads. This issue only happens on wireless devices.

Here are the browser/server requirements that Mint suggests, I hope this helps:

Server

Mint was developed and beta tested on various Linux servers running Apache with a MySQL database (3.x and up), and PHP scripting (4.2.3 and up). PHP can be run as an Apache module or PHP-as-CGI. Mint requires an internet connection for Activation and weekly update checks and to be eligible for support. Please check with your host if you are unsure about any of these requirements before purchasing. Individual Pepper may have their own additional requirements.

Browser

In order to view Mint you should be using a modern browser with support for cookies, transparent PNGs, modern DOM scripting (including XMLHTTPRequest) with good support for CSS 2. Safari, Opera or Firefox, all free, are highly recommended. Mint 2 introduces full support for Internet Explorer PC. IE Mac will not be supported.

In order to record hits Mint requires JavaScript be enabled. This may be an issue for some but was a necessary trade-off that prevents Mint's results from being skewed by non-human spiders, crawlers and referrer-spam bots.

I'm assuming the movie issue is a WISH or QOS issue.  I don't believe I have enabled WISH yet though.  Any ideas on this would be helpful.

Other than that, I'm really impressed with this router. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Issue visiting certain websites...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:16 AM »

Link>Welcome!

Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
What region are you located?
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

If IE 8 or 9, set compatibility mode and test again.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Hard Harry

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

I am going to leave out the issue with streaming movies and email for now, because until you can connect direct to the modem and see the problems go away, there is a good chance they may have nothing to do with your router (as you even suspect).

As for Mint, are you trying to view the Metric for the site your running on a local server? As in does the site live on your LAN? If so, tell me more about how your accessing it and from what computers?

wenwon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »

Issue was resolved by calling in to tech support.  For what it's worth, I tried your suggestions but they didn't work. It had to do with an iPV6 setting.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Issue visiting certain websites...(RESOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »

Can you detail us on what it was for IPv6 that resolved your issue?

Probably changing the IPv6 setting under Setup/IPv6 to Local Connection Only.  ???

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:03:09 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.