• April 16, 2024, 02:30:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS 323 Drive lights don't stop blinking.  (Read 4248 times)

scotoma

DNS 323 Drive lights don't stop blinking.
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »

Hey all,

I shut off my DNS323 for a few days. Now, once I power it back on, I can't seem to get an IP. In addition, my drive lights constantly blink and I can hear the drives being read.  The manual says that the drives are being accessed, formatted or synced. I know nobody is accessing them, and I sure hope they are not somehow being formatted.  Any ideas how I might go about fixing this?

Thanks all

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS 323 Drive lights don't stop blinking.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

How did you determine that you are not getting an ip? 
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

scotoma

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

I cannot go to the ip of the device which I believe is 192.168.0.32 by default and it is not listed on my router as a device connected to network. Its been a few hours now and the lights are still blinking.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:29:43 AM »

I like the logical approach - so

1)  Did you set a static ip address on the unit when you first set ip up?  If you did, then you will not find the unit at it's default ip address, nor will it request an ip address by DHCP from your router.

2)  Do you have "link" LEDs on on the DNS-323 AND the network switch to which it is connected?  If you don't then you have no network connection and will be unable to communicate with it.

A comment in passing - many routers display the arp cache as a list of devices "connected" to the network - the arp cache is usually cleared (or flushed) of unused entries at intervals of approximately two minutes, this could be the reason that you don't see an entry for the DNS-323.

Assuming that you have your data backed up, you could try resetting the unit - there is a pinhole reset switch at the back.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.