• April 19, 2024, 12:52:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Turn off camera?  (Read 13821 times)

Onthesamepath

• Level 1 Member
Turn off camera?
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »

I have the DCS-930L set up at home with motion detection emails.  I only want it to be sending emails when I am not home, of course, but there's no way to turn off the camera through my dlink.com as far as I can tell (only an option to remove the camera, which I assume is something more drastic). Is my only choice to unplug the camera when I don't want it emailing?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Turn off camera?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn the DCS-932L off remotely. Alternatively, you can go into the Web Interface and disable email.  You can accomplish this workaround through mydlink, Settings Tab > Advanced Settings, (if you are away from home) or direct login to the web interface (before you leave your home).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Onthesamepath

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn the DCS-932L off remotely. Alternatively, you can go into the Web Interface and disable email.  You can accomplish this workaround through mydlink, Settings Tab > Advanced Settings, (if you are away from home) or direct login to the web interface (before you leave your home).

OK, I have a followup question:
1. I can turn off the camera by unplugging it.  When I plug it back in, it appears to retain all the settings for email and motion detection.  Is there any danger of disabling the camera or any of its functions by unplugging it?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:21:06 AM »

The DCS-932L will retain user settings in flash memory if the unit is unplugged. I don't know of the consequences of unplugging the camera for long periods of time - that is something you'll have to test for yourself.

Some users (including myself) have experienced intermittent issues reestablishing a wireless connection after unplugging/plugging the camera power. Meanwhile, another user successfully setup his camera with a house timer for scheduled power on/off at different times of the day.

My recommended approach however, is disabling email in the web interface.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »

Our DCS-930L is powered off each evening, and back on in the AM, by an X-10 timer - it's been reliable this way, for at least 5-6 months.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »

Good to hear that the house-timer method is stable for long-term use.

Onthesamepath

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »

I bought a simple remote wall switch that will turn power on and off to the 930 when I come and go from home. This setup has worked well for a couple of months. So now I have what I was seeking: camera operating only when I am away, motion detected emails to gmail, and the only intervention required is using the remote switch.  Just like those TV ads for ADT, but with no ongoing costs.