• April 26, 2024, 04:17:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1 of 2 drives in JBOD config died... how do I recover file from the 2nd drive?  (Read 4974 times)

tensaihoward

• Level 1 Member

Has anyone have this issue before?

I have 2 drives installed on my DNS-323, configured with JBOD.  Recently the 1st of the 2 drives died.  Now if I insert just the 2nd drive into my DNS-323, it will asks if I want to format my drive.  Of course I don't want to given that I know the drive is good and I still want to recover the data.

Some info:
  • Good drive is a SAMSUNG HD753LJ 750 GB
  • Both drive was formatted in EXT3
  • 1st drive is complete hosed as there is a mechanical failure

What can I do with recover the files on my 2nd drive? Surely there's a way to recover the files right? Which software have you guys tried *yourself and have had a success story?

If there's any help at all I'd greatly appreciate it.  I don't wanna bore you with the details about how important the data is but I'm looking to exhaust all free or low cost software recovery options before going to a professional recovery service.

redant2u

• Level 2 Member

I can only think of the following...
First backup the config file of the DNS and then take out the "good drive", put a total different HDD in the place of dead drive (one that is not worth any data and that can be formatted if need be) and boot DNS... without you "good drive".
If it then ask to format - no problem do it in JBOD and shut down DNS now add the good drive to it and boot again... if all is well the files on the "good drive" should be showing up...

I have never tried it with JBOD but have done this with RAID5 on a DNS343... so it may just work out.

And if you are worried about the data on the good drive see if you can beg, borrow or "steel" a similar HDD for a day or two and make a clone of the working drive just in case something does happen...

Don't know if you are familiar with Hiren Boot CD 13 - the current version - but real helpful tools on it regarding backup and cloning for HDD.

So basically you will need 2 spare HDD one can be small just to format in the DNS and the 2nd to copy your good drive in case of a "gremlin" that sneak into the system...

hope all goes well!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:38:56 AM by redant2u »

fordem

• Level 10 Member

Won't work - you need TWO drives to do a JBOD - if you have two spare drives you could try creating a JBOD with them and then swapping the disk - so if you're going to make a backup of the remaining disk as suggested, you might need three drives - and I'd suggest they be the same size as the originals.

The question I have for you is this - how big was the JBOD and how much of the data was on the drive that failed?  Is there actually any data stored on the second drive?

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

redant2u

• Level 2 Member

Thanks for pointing that out to me - like I said did it with raid and got the data back but never with JBOD... but that is why we have the forum to help and share info....