• April 18, 2024, 12:05:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Changed Port number and killed access to video  (Read 6105 times)

RDK45

• Level 2 Member
Changed Port number and killed access to video
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

Folks.....Still experimenting and learning....

With basic "Wizard" setup I got DHCP and port 80 for the camera.  It was working just fine with MyDLink and locally with DLink-ViewCam software and some local test web pages.  

However, we have a wireless printer on that router which also uses port 80, so when it was installed we set up a "port forward" for port 80 traffic to it for administration from other subnets.  How MyDLink website is able to tunnel through our hardware firewall and the wireless routers firewall to  communicate with the camera is not clear to me (perhaps someone can send me a link to an explanation??), but it works...

Thus, to allow access to the camera from other subents, I wanted to change the camera's port from 80 to another, say 8181 and set up the appropriate "port forwarding for TCP and UDP.  All of the steps below were from a PC within the camera's subnet/router so port forwarding is not an issue.
  • I logged on to MyDLink website, went to the camera setting and Advance settings (which just gets me to my camera's configuration panel). I did it this way in case MyDLink was "watching" and needed the info to continue accessing the camera after the changes were made.
  • In the Network Settings section I changed the port number and save/submitted the page.
  • Now the MyDLink/camera page stopped working, to be expected so I quit the browser.
  • In a new browser session I returned to MyDLink successfully but now it can not find my camera
  • Now, locally I logged on to the camera from its subnet and using the new port number.  That worked and I seemed to have fully functionality, including the live video
  • I started DLink-ViewCam and it did not connect to the previous link nor did it find the camera when I started a search
  • Grumble, Grrrr
  • I returned to the local address and changed the port back to 80, saved the changes and instantly everything started working again

What did I do wrong?   Thanks....RDK

RDK45

• Level 2 Member
Re: Changed Port number and killed access to video
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »

Update....

After I added a "port forward" rule on our hardware firewall to forward port 8181 traffic to the wireless router (zz.zz.zz.13), some things started working, blush.
  • From an external site the http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8181/image/jpeg.cgi returned successfully a current camera snapshot, where xx.xx.xx.xx is the tcpip address provided by our ISP
  • Within the Wireless router subnet (zz.zz.zz.0 / 255.255.255.0) our test webpages started working, showing live video using the camera's address zz.zz.zz.200:8181
  • On the parent network (zz.zz.nn.0 / 255.255.255.0) for the Wireless Router, the test pages failed when MS-IE would not load the JAVA app because it could not verify the publisher (or some such error message).  Here I tried both the zz.zz.nn.13:8181 and the actual address of the camera zz.zz.zz.200:8181.  I also fiddled with MS-IE's Security settings. No joy.
  • MyDLink website can not find or access the camera.

Returned the settings to port 80 and MyDLink is again working.  Don't know about the other above tests.

Frustrating day......RDK

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »

Having spent far too much time with tech support, I understand MyDlink uses port 80.  I think they told me that if you change it to some other port, MyDlink may cause you some troubles.  Unfortunately, I have similar conflicts (network drive) on the port 80.  My solution is to quit using MyDlink.  There are other options available.

I had similar issues as you.  I reset my camera several times when changing ports.  One of the things I did not realize until later was that if one changes ports to something other than 80, one must then specify the port number when trying to access the device through the IP address.  This is true even when on the LAN.  I assume you knew, or discovered this also.

the address would be like:

192.168.0.10:xxxx

RDK45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 06:47:35 AM »

Oberkc.....Thanks for your thoughts.  I guess I will have to dump MyDLink also.  Too bad.

Still I really curious how the DLink site is able to "tunnel" to the camera when, for internal traffic port 80 is being forwarded to a different address by the wireless router and for outside traffic to a different subnet PC by the hardware firewall which screens all traffic arriving from the internet....RDK