• April 16, 2024, 05:28:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with FTP please.  (Read 12474 times)

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
Re: Help with FTP please.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:32 AM »

As... yes I missed that in your other post. 

Good point.... much easier than multiple forwarding from router -> router -> FTP server.

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »

Since he did not say whether he was setting up the DDNS in the router or the DNS-323 one thing I remember from a while back is if you set up your DDNS in the DNS-323 it will report the ip of the 323 and not the external address of the network.  This sounds like the case here since when he checks the ip he gets 192.168.xx.xx which is the address of the 323.  It is better to set up your DDNS in the router instead.  It will handle the external address correctly.
Also, remember if he has 2 active routers the first if not set right will have the outside world address but will output a 192.168.xx.xx address to the wan of the second router.  If the DDNS is setup in the second router it wll see the incoming address as 192.168.xx.xx since that is what it is getting on the wan.  That would screw up the address that the DDNS reports.  It would report 192.168.xx.xx because that is what it sees as the outside world. Remember the only device that knows what the outside world address is would be the first router.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:33:27 PM by tfiveash »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 05:21:49 AM »

Remember the only device that knows what the outside world address is would be the first router.

Whilst the general point made in the post is a valid one (which has actually been covered in the posts immediately preceding) it is based on an invalid assumption - how a dynamic DNS client works.

Yes - the only device that knows what the outside world address is would be the first router - but - the "non router" dynamic DNS clients don't report their own ip address, in fact, they don't report any ip address at all - they contact the dynamic DNS server with an update request, and the server checks the source ip of the request, which, because of the NAT processes used, will be that of the so-called "first" router.

Regardless of how many routers you daisy-chain together, as long as you are using NAT, the router will insert it's own WAN address as the source address and make an entry in it's NAT tables so that it knows which internal ip to use when the response comes back.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »

Thanks Fordem for the enlightening update on how DDNS works.  Boy do I have egg on my face and I will have to tell the guy that told me how it worked he was all wong.

One question I do have is does this request have anything to do with pinging the router?  The reason I ask is the router can be set so it will not respond to a ping.  Will it still respond to the DDNS request?

Thanks for the enlightened update.

Terry

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »

DDNS updates will work whether or not ping is enabled.

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:46 PM »

Ok Guys update is:

Lesson 1. Do not turn DHCP off on a clearwire modem. There is no hard reset button so this will brick the modem.

Everything on my end is set correctly except one thing. Clearwire remote accessed my computer checking everything. Set me up in DMZ and then tried port forwarding on the actual modem.

Lesson 2. Clearwire modems (this is motorola brand) likes and sometimes will only accept 1400MTU. DNS-323 cannot (that we could find) be changed from 1500 MTU.

I am going to upgrade to fw1.08 and see how it goes. Comments and ideas are appreciated

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 05:41:45 AM »

Put a router in front of that useless modem and isolate yourself from it's oddities. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »

Well I upgraded the firmware and we are making progress.

Here is my latest test log

Test log
Reply: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Reply: 220-You are user number 1 of 10 allowed.
Reply: 220-Local time is now 07:53. Server port: 24147.
Reply: 220-This server supports FXP transfers
Reply: 220 You will be disconnected after 2 minutes of inactivity.
Reply: 530 You aren't logged in
Reply: 230 Anonymous user logged in
Reply: 211-Extensions supported:
Reply: EPRT
Reply: IDLE
Reply: MDTM
Reply: SIZE
Reply: REST STREAM
Reply: MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
Reply: MLSD
Reply: ESTP
Reply: PASV
Reply: EPSV
Error: Carriage return without line feed received

From FileZilla I get this whole thing and this is the exact same settings as the other log:

Response:   220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response:   220-You are user number 1 of 10 allowed.
Response:   220-Local time is now 07:49. Server port: 24147.
Response:   220-This server supports FXP transfers
Response:   220 You will be disconnected after 2 minutes of inactivity.
Command:   USER testing
Response:   331 User testing OK. Password required
Command:   PASS ********
Response:   230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Command:   PWD
Response:   257 "/" is your current location
Command:   TYPE I
Response:   200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:   PORT 98,155,166,161,94,93
Response:   200 PORT command successful
Command:   MLSD
Error:   Connection timed out
Error:   Failed to retrieve directory listing

As far as I can tell, and if I were an expert this whole deal would probably be working already, i am getting to the server and then for some reason it will not give me the directory listing? Is that about right?

FTP is the bane of my existence

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »

You're apparently trying to use passive ftp without configuring the DNS-323 and the router correctly - the first listing shows a PASV command which is the request to switch to passive ftp, the second listing shows a PORT command which is used to set the address and port to be used for the data connection.

Change the ftp client settings so that it's not using passive ftp and it should connect and work.

ftp is unique in that it requires two connections, a control connection and a data connection.  With active ftp the control connection is made from the client to the server and the data connection from the server to the client - with passive ftp both connections are made from client to server.

Each type of ftp has advantages and disadvantages - in my opinion active ftp using the standard port settings is the easiest to configure, however, some folk feel that this is inherently insecure.

I'm not going to get into a debate on security here, I will just say that I use it and have been for the better part of a decade without any issues and I'll continue to use it.

What I suggest you do is first configure active ftp with standard ports and after you have that working then look at improving the security.
Pages: 1 [2]