• April 16, 2024, 02:06:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slow Transfer Speed  (Read 13538 times)

AlsRT10

• Level 1 Member
Re: Slow Transfer Speed
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »

I currently have static addresses for both NAS units and my computer. Even if I bring the units to the computer and hook them up directly, this would then defeat the purpose of having them on a network. My NAS units feed my home theater systems throughout my home. I have a very complex system, and having them hooked up to the computer will prevent access. What is this designed read/write rate? Can this be improved through software changes or is this a hardware issue?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »

I currently have static addresses for both NAS units and my computer. Even if I bring the units to the computer and hook them up directly, this would then defeat the purpose of having them on a network. My NAS units feed my home theater systems throughout my home. I have a very complex system, and having them hooked up to the computer will prevent access. What is this designed read/write rate? Can this be improved through software changes or is this a hardware issue?

Yes it would defeat the purpose of having them on a network however it would help diagnose where the problem might be in order to resolve your issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dichamw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »

Old trick - If slow between computer and NAS, go your network adpater (control panel/device manger/network adapters/properties/advance/speed & duplex) if set at auto-negotation change to 100 or 1000 Mbps full duplex.    My transfer speed increased a lot.

AlsRT10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »

Thanks for the tip, however, it only increased from 5.8 Mbps to 8.8 Mbps. I was looking for something much faster then this. I can only hope that D-Link is looking into this issue.

skrupka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 10:55:08 AM »

8.8 Mbps?  you must mean MB/s instead, surely?   On my setup I get 28 Mbps or 30 Mbps  (16 MB/s or 18 MB/s) approx..  But i don't use any RAID setup and i'm using a Gigibit network.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »

Thanks for the tip, however, it only increased from 5.8 Mbps to 8.8 Mbps. I was looking for something much faster then this. I can only hope that D-Link is looking into this issue.

What would it be you would like us to be looking into? Did you try removing the switch and connect the DNS-343 directly to your PC using a static IP address and locking the the NIC and DNS-343 to 1000?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

AlsRT10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »

After trying "dichamw" old trick the speed increased a little, but then both DNS-343 units crashed. "System Halting" message was on for so long that I pulled the plugs. Then it took several tries before I could get it to reboot completely. I have not tried the direct approach, because frankly, this would not be a solution that I can live with. I purchased these units to perform on a network capable of sharing movies across two media servers, without have the computers on. However, have you tried this solution, and if so what read/write speeds did you get? Is the RAID setup the problem here? "skrupka" is getting 28 to 30 Mbps. The NIC is set to 1000.
Pages: 1 [2]