• March 28, 2024, 01:26:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DSL-2750B Firmware update fails with error message: Bad Upgrade File Header  (Read 38723 times)

solarsails

• Level 1 Member

Greetings,

I've received a DSL-2750b from verizon (my ISP provider).
This is a USA model DSL-2750B  HW: T1

Here is the current system overview info from the router's system page:

Gateway ID:   DX2M1D1428642
Software Version: 5.4.12.1.44   Upgrade
Release Date:   Feb 19 2012
Platform:   D-Link DSL-2750B Board
Tag:   Ntag-5_4_12_1_44
Compilation Flags:   LIC=/home/bat/bat/dlink_bcm96328_5_4_12_1/20120219_1343/conf/jpkg_bcm9636x_dlink.lic CONFIG_RG_PROD_IMG=y DIST=DLINK_DSL2750B
System Up Time:   1 day, 13 hours
Load Average (1 / 5 / 15 mins.):   0.04 / 0.03 / 0.01

---This is obviously proprietary firmware?   I am very computer literate so I wanted to update the firmware so that I may utilize the USB port, among other things.

After disabling my firewall and anti-virus software I've downloaded the firmware using firefox from "ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2750B/REV_T/Firmware/Firmware_AU_v3.02_(11-12-2013)/"
       ^^^^incidentally these firmware files do not have a file suffix (am I to add .bin myself or use the file as it is (I've tried both))

At any rate, I make sure that my firewall and antivirus software is completely disabled and closed out.
Then using the routers console I browse for the file and click OK and after 3 seconds the router responds
with error message:  Bad Upgrade File Header  

I've spent significant time with it and now I'm bummed out.  I've used 2 different PCs and a laptop.  Different cat5 and cat 5e cables and different Ethernet ports on the router.

I'd like to issue the latest version T firmware to this router if for no other reason than to reverse what verizon has done to this device. There are several options that I would like to utilize and its obviously a pretty happening router and it would be fantastic to be able to utilize it to its fullest potential, which isn't going to happen with verizon's insultingly disrespectful and literally degrading firmware.

At any rate, could someone kindly email me the 3 versions of the T hardware firmware update files.  If required please include the proper file suffix (.bin?) and any additional ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.  My email address is solarsails@hotmail.com

I can barely tolerate using this router in its present condition, knowing that there were features there that I would like to use but can't unless I can somehow get D-Links firmware to properly initialize on it.  

Who knows I may simply send it back to them and tell them that its shameful what they've done with it and find another hardware solution.

Thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter and my very best regards.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:28:17 PM by solarsails »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

IF this Modem was provided to you by Verizon, I presume then that the FW thats loaded on it is set up, maintained and developed by Verizon themselves. You'll need to contact Verizon support and inquire for help and information for this modem. D-Link only provided the shell and HW, Verizon loaded there own code on it which they maintain.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

solarsails

• Level 1 Member

Well, TFTP, here I come.  As long as the hardware is the same then its off to the races.   I can't stand running firmware that reminds me of AOL.  I'd TFTP this router just to get rid of the interface that they have basically completely trashed with spam.  I think that's how I will proceed, as the Verizon help desk won't know what I'm talking about, so they will generalize and say, "No, you firmware to it cannot do to the flash, OK?  Is there anything else I can help you with today?"  I'll post back to let you know how I make out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:35:54 PM by solarsails »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

You might check with D-Link and buy the retail D-Link version instead.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

zhjook

press reset key ,turn on power, after 15s ,release reset key,  make your pc static ip=192.168.1.10 , then, open IE browser, got to 192.168.1.1, you can see the CFE update mode ,you can update all bcm6328avng tag FW

like this  6   Broadcom Corporatio ver. 2.0      6328  96328AVNG
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:08:51 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Well since my ego is empowered more by the OPs violation of forum policy, and not "POOPED" on, thus his inflammatory posts have been removed and this thread is not CLOSED and LOCKED. Why thank you sir. You just made my day.  ;D

Was all of that really needed? Ok, Ya I should have posted more reason behind why I recommended you contacting D-Link support or getting into a retail version since your modem is loaded with NON D-LINK OEM FW. Doing anything to an ISP loaded modem may cause other problems and be in violation of ISP policy and use standards on there network. I did ask you to contact them in the first place since you told us that it was loaded with Verizon FW and not D-Link FW. Its a safety measure that you as a Verizon customer should understand and understand the risks involved should something happen if a user changes any FW on there HW you get from the ISP. Even though it may say D-Link on the HW, If 3rd party or ISP FW is loaded, this dissolves any responsibility that D-Link has with the HW and FW and moves that to the user and ISP. ISPs will sometimes frown upon users and there HW connecting to there networks. It's always advised to contact them and ask to see what there policies are. Also if this is a ISP owned HW that is rented or leased to you, ISPs may not take kindly to a user modifying there FW loaded on there HW. This is why I mentioned getting into a retail version of the modem which would have D-Link FW loaded on it. This would also avoid having to pay any rental fees that ISP may impose on there customers. Each region and ISP have there own policies and standards. IT's up to users and customers to be aware of them and follow them.

Ya, users can do what they wish however they may cause consequences.  Let his be a warning to all users. :-\

I'm glad that zhjook was able to offer an alternative to get the modem going. The information was posted as i don't use DSL modems here so, ya I wasn't sure if DSL Modems have a similar recover option like D-Link routers do which I'm more familiar with. I will keep this in mind for DSL modems and help this will help DSL modem users in the future.

Users should just be aware of the differences between ISP HW and retail HW that they have and the policy and usages behind it.

As for solarsails and his rant about me and my profile. Im ok man. Theres bigger things out in the world that don't bother me. Ur just a "BINK" in dust here. I'm glad the mold was broke on this one.  ;D

Does D-Link Fix Issues Posted by Members in this Forum?
 Does D-Link Fix Issues Posted by Members in this Forum?
 We are volunteer help for DLink and here to help out with set up and problems that are posted by users here in the forums. If we can not resolve those issues here or if there are problems with anything beyond our capabilities here in the forums, we ask the users please contact phone D-Link directly for continued help and information. Problems with HW/FW and documentation fall under this reasoning as we do not have the ability to effect any changes. As for D-Link support, if they don't know what customers needs as desires are then it's kind of hard for them to make improvements to there products with out someone helping them out and telling them.  Yes, of course please feel free to post and talk about it here, however there is little or no review by any official D-Link support or engineering personnel here in the forums. It's the users responsibility to help notify D-Link support of un-resolved problems and concerns they have, that we can't fix here in the forums.

Good luck in your endeavors.

erdos

• Level 1 Member

press reset key ,turn on power, after 15s ,release reset key,  make you pc ip=192.168.10 , then, open ie ,get 192.168.1.1 ,you can see the CFE update mode ,you can update all bcm6328avng tag FW

like this  6   Broadcom Corporatio ver. 2.0      6328  96328AVNG

the steps worked.   :)

I'm not OP but i've been having problems with my DSL-2750B dsl modem since i received it in January from verizon.  the modem drops internet connection every week.  i updated to the Aus 3.02 according to the link and methods shown here.  it took some trial and errors on the settings but i got it working in the end. 

will see whether this fix the problem.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Just understand that you are modifying Verizons HW and D-Link is not responsible for any thing that happens nor can the modem be supported by D-Link support, even if D-Link FW is loaded , as the actual HW and support responsibility belongs to Verizon!

the steps worked.   :)

I'm not OP but i've been having problems with my DSL-2750B dsl modem since i received it in January from verizon.  the modem drops internet connection every week.  i updated to the Aus 3.02 according to the link and methods shown here.  it took some trial and errors on the settings but i got it working in the end. 

will see whether this fix the problem.

solarsails

• Level 1 Member

Every week at the same time?  Is this consitant or are there variations in the time?  Is is at a certain time?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Time?  ??? Not sure what your asking about?

erdos

• Level 1 Member

Every week at the same time?  Is this consitant or are there variations in the time?  Is is at a certain time?

yeah, i think it's about every seven days the connection got dropped.  when i called verizon DSL support, they tried hard to persuade me to upgrade to Fios.  the woman kept saying Dsl is outdated and bound to have problems.  that really annoys me.   in the end, nothing was done to fix my problem.

the Aus 3.02 firmware seems working, but upstream speed is very slow, that wrecks my voip service.  maybe i didn't get all the settings correct.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Id have them check the phone lines for signal quality and condition of the lines. The modem depends on having a good signal from the ISP services...

yeah, i think it's about every seven days the connection got dropped.  when i called verizon DSL support, they tried hard to persuade me to upgrade to Fios.  the woman kept saying Dsl is outdated and bound to have problems.  that really annoys me.   in the end, nothing was done to fix my problem.

the Aus 3.02 firmware seems working, but upstream speed is very slow, that wrecks my voip service.  maybe i didn't get all the settings correct.

solarsails

• Level 1 Member

yeah, i think it's about every seven days the connection got dropped.  when i called verizon DSL support, they tried hard to persuade me to upgrade to Fios.  the woman kept saying Dsl is outdated and bound to have problems.  that really annoys me.   in the end, nothing was done to fix my problem.

the Aus 3.02 firmware seems working, but upstream speed is very slow, that wrecks my voip service.  maybe i didn't get all the settings correct.

I updated my DSL-2750b (hw:T) to AUS3.02 and turned it back into a fine device. I am running on Verizon's DSL network in the USA with no issues at all. Verizon seems fine with it as long as you know what you are doing (ie not peppering the helpdesk with dingbat calls, etc.) (I save those for "FurryNutz! (just joking)), but if you don't know what you are doing it simply won't work and Verizon won't help you to make it work either. Verizon already has their network auto-polluted from themselves, so I consider the way I am running the DSL-2750b T1 to be cleaner than the out of box experience that Verizon provides. And I prefer the D-Link interface over Verizon's any day (Verizon's firmware reminds me of AOL. Every page is plastered with the word VERIZON. It's convoluted, time consuming to navigate and proprietarily cryptic. All in all Verizon firmware is a difficult to tolerate experience and a headache to tweak. Did I say that the USB port won't work with Verizon's firmware (no... I didn't and no, it won't). But I won't be using that feature anyhow as it adds a potential security risk on my front end and a hard disk to boot, mercy sakes alive, you better know how to nail that down if you are going to use D-Link DSL-2750b as the connection to your internet provider and install a USB disk on it as well!

I use the DSL-2750b to make the connection to Verizon and thats it. Under SETUP, Local Network, ROUTER SETTINGS -> I have configured the DSL-2750b with a static IP address (although it's not necessary, the third byte of my 2750's IP address is different than the rest of the local network, it keeps things pleasantly unpredictable in "my little network of treachery" (for hackers, etc) and gives me a noticeable demarcation that I'm at the boundry between my local network and the Internet. The network class remains consistant (ie the subnet remains the same).

There is no wireless, no igmp (any ref to IGMP is disabled), no DHCP, no verizon DNS (use openDNS or some other available DNS for best results), disable packet flow accelerator, no QOS, no Queue config, under advanced> network tools> the only box checked is ADSL2+, no UPNP (security issue), no IPV6, WMM disabled, multicast set to AUTO (even though disabled), OBSS disabled, under multicast---> no boxes checked, no IGMP snoop, no SNMP (another security issue), under TR-069 (potential security issue) Inform Disable, Display unchecked, connection checked, make up user name and pword, WAN loop, acs user/pw same as connection request, interval 300, https://noacs.com .  

Under Internet Setup: Its DSL (not eth WAN of course), VPI/VCI 0/35 VLAN MUX n/a, pppoe_0_0_35, PPPoE,  Serv cat UBR without PCR, QOS is set to strict (though I don't use it), auth method  is auto, check dial on demand (with idle timeout), uncheck pppoe pass-thru, mtu 1400 MRU 1492, no ppp ip ext, ---->   NO CONFIG KEEP ALIVE! (if your problem persists perhaps try it (if it is currently checked and you are having issues get rid of it)(the same holds true with that other setting---> IDLE TIMEOUT, I'm using NAT and firewall (contrary to popular belief and advised configuration), NO IGMP (I have IGMP stuff enabled at the router (gateway)), service name pppoe_0_0_35, WAN IP address is dynamic.....

I use a network jack from the DSL-2750b and plug it into the yellow internet jack on a netgear WNR3500 wireless router and I config all the necessary options on the netgear router and keep the intenet modem as simple as possible. (except for firewall and NAT).  Basically my gateway IS the netgear router and the DSL-2750b is the intenet.

With verizon speed test I get Latency = 40ms, Download = 14.22 MBps Upload = .94, highest rates at off peak hours. Its never dropped anything.  I've booted it 10 million times since last week though (checking features and tweaking, etc, so who knows? I may have a problem and just don't know it. My network is still a work in progress, my ISA firewall is down and under construction, etc. (But, why yes, I do have a honeypot (but its more like a Ya-te-veo))  

At any rate I really do like this DSL-2750b now that its de-Verizoned. I'm not very comfortable demoting it as I have in its current configuration, so I may very well change it all around, disable the modem and use it internally. This device has TREMENDOUS potential. But if you want to use it as a modem to Verizon I am pretty much fairly well versed in all the different configurations on how to do that, so feel free to ask me any questions and if you need my email address, just let me know. I could even make a config, back it up and email it to you if you want...

Good Luck! I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, etc...

PS.  Never doubt the ability of a defective network cable to mysteriously ruin a perfectly good setup.  In this case I don't think it matters if you are using crossover cables or normal network cables--- but it depends what you are connecting it to / to it.   AND another thing to check with connection issues is the network interface box.  Its the grey box outside, in case you didn't know. Go give it a physical checkover, make sure the screw is tight (not hanging wide open), damaged, etc... if all looks normal, open it and look for mice, ice, water or anything absolutely insane.  Even the connectors inside could come loose from wind, rain, sleet, etc and the vibrations that they can produce. You could also get interference along the whole wire (inside and out) (from the Dslam to your PC) from flourescent lights, micorwave ovens, drug stores (satellite broadcasts), there is no limit for the imagination with regards to DSL and line interferance issues.  The good news is you only have 2 or 3 miles to investigate if you are desparate and you can't get verizon to do it, but they will blame it on your DLS-2750b and the DLink firmware, because it will be easy and convenient for them to do so.  So swap in a different modem if you can and verify that it isn't the DSL-2750b itself and if the problem persists with a different modem don't use the dsl-2750b until the line issue is fixed...  I'd try to stay off the radar with it, that is if it is a verizon issued device--- otherwise don't let them put verizon firmware on it or you will hate it and want to throw it in the trash.  And you aren't missing any filters on any of your telephone devices are you?  (I had to ask)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:11:15 AM by solarsails »

solarsails

• Level 1 Member

yeah, i think it's about every seven days the connection got dropped.  when i called verizon DSL support, they tried hard to persuade me to upgrade to Fios.  the woman kept saying Dsl is outdated and bound to have problems.  that really annoys me.   in the end, nothing was done to fix my problem.

the Aus 3.02 firmware seems working, but upstream speed is very slow, that wrecks my voip service.  maybe i didn't get all the settings correct.

I was just was doing some research: take a look at your MTU and MRU settings they should be MTU: 1400 and MRU: 1492 -->  Log into the modem, from setup tab left click INTERNET SETUP. left click the box on the left, left click EDIT, scroll down until you see MTU size and MRU size and verify that they are 1400 and 1492, if they aren't change them and then click next, then click apply. Reboot the modem, you r computer  and then test it out; then let me know what they were set at, so I can put it in my notes....    

And fyi the firmware really isn't going to affect your data rates, DSL is essentially configured with a much higher downstream rate than upstream rate.  For your line the data rates are going to be very close to: Downstream Line Rate (Kbps):   17647   - and -     Upstream Line Rate (Kbps):   1117 (These are the perfect case scenerios)  -----

-zoiks... and away!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:04:11 AM by solarsails »

erdos

• Level 1 Member

There is no wireless, no igmp (any ref to IGMP is disabled), no DHCP, no verizon DNS (use openDNS or some other available DNS for best results), disable packet flow accelerator, no QOS, no Queue config, under advanced> network tools> the only box checked is ADSL2+, no UPNP (security issue), no IPV6, WMM disabled, multicast set to AUTO (even though disabled), OBSS disabled, under multicast---> no boxes checked, no IGMP snoop, no SNMP (another security issue), under TR-069 (potential security issue) Inform Disable, Display unchecked, connection checked, make up user name and pword, WAN loop, acs user/pw same as connection request, interval 300, https://noacs.com .  

Under Internet Setup: Its DSL (not eth WAN of course), VPI/VCI 0/35 VLAN MUX n/a, pppoe_0_0_35, PPPoE,  Serv cat UBR without PCR, QOS is set to strict (though I don't use it), auth method  is auto, check dial on demand (with idle timeout), uncheck pppoe pass-thru, mtu 1400 MRU 1492, no ppp ip ext, ---->   NO CONFIG KEEP ALIVE! (if your problem persists perhaps try it (if it is currently checked and you are having issues get rid of it)(the same holds true with that other setting---> IDLE TIMEOUT, I'm using NAT and firewall (contrary to popular belief and advised configuration), NO IGMP (I have IGMP stuff enabled at the router (gateway)), service name pppoe_0_0_35, WAN IP address is dynamic.....

thanks for the detailed write-up.  my settings was using 'MER' instead of 'PPPoE' as protocol.    when i switched the settings (including advanced settings) to 'PPPoE' according to what illustrated here, 2750B is constantly in 'Connecting...' state, but can't acquire an ip address.  

i reverted back to 'MER' setting and using your setting as reference, changed the 'UBR with PCR (=100)'  to 'UBR without PCR', now all the devices works, including my OBi voip services.  i used 'UBR with PCR (100)' based on settings copied from my previous Verizon Westell 6100 dsl modem.  it seems that same setting doesn't work well on the Dlink modem.

my Settings:
Internet Setup:   VPI/VCI 0/35, UBR without PCR, IP QOS set to 'Strick Priority (8)', connection protocol set to 'MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER)', Encapsulation Mode set to LLC/Snap Bridging, uncheck Enable Multiple Vlan, set IPV4 settings to obtain address automatically, IPV6 disabled, NAT enabled, firewall enabled, GIMP multicast disabled, service name 'mer_0_0_35'  

Advanced settings all set to default.  

verizon speed test shows a latency =33ms, dowload speed =1.14Mbps, upload speed =0.41Mbps.  all well :)

thanks a lot for helping out  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:53:27 PM by erdos »
Pages: [1] 2 3