• April 24, 2024, 09:07:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Noobie - File access help  (Read 3126 times)

barryware

• Level 1 Member
Noobie - File access help
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »

Good day.. I setup my 323 over the weekend and transfered everything from another nas device to the 323.

I am having trouble setting up access rights.

I have several folders in the root directory. Of which, I want to make one private and keep open access to all the others. It seems that I have to add each folder separately and set up access rights to each one.

I suppose I could make a folder lets say called "public", move all the other files & directories under that folder, give full access to "public" and all its sub folders but that will change the path(s) for several apps accessing the nas.

Is there a better way? I think I am missing something. I have been playing around with it all weekend but I can not get it set the way I would like.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Noobie - File access help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »

If you are using Network access rules you will want to create a share for public use as you stated and create shared for information you want to be private per user or users.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

barryware

• Level 1 Member
Re: Noobie - File access help
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »

Thanks for the responce. The documentation is a bit sketchy and I am not a unix / linix guy but that is what I thought I would have to do after working with it.

I like the box though.