• March 28, 2024, 03:45:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Data corruption: DNS-320 w/ 3tb Seagate Baracuda = data integrity compromise  (Read 12855 times)

crislax

• Level 1 Member

New DNS-320 installed RAID-1 2 Seagate 3tb drives (ST33000651AS) after upgrading firmware to 2.02.

Box has been live for 2 days now and have one seemingly unsolvable problem -
1 user's outlook.pst file keeps getting corrupted. (This is a small office network with all the users running Outlook 2003 and all users .pst files were transferred from backup of old NAS. Only 1 file/user has the problem.)

Basically, the .pst file just gets corrupted with normal operations - receiving new email.
Tried troubleshooting in the following manner:
Tried even older backup of the .pst file - initial access is fine, after receiving new email it is corrupted.
Put the file on the LOCAL machine, everything works fine.
Tried creating NEW BLANK .pst file on the NAS, once I set it to be the file(folder) for mail delivery, and add messages to the inbox, it gets corrupted!
When it gets corrupted, outlook will not even start up until the mail delivery location is set to a new non-corrupt file.

This does give me concern that something is seriously wrong with the DNS320's ability to correctly read/write data......

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:40:17 PM by crislax »

cable2

• Level 3 Member
Re: Data corruption? Problem with Outlook pst file
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »

Hi,
I don't know if this kind of work around would be acceptable or not, but you might try this Outlook addin.  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9003    I think you would have to keep the original pst on the local machine and then do the backup to the mapped drive on the 320.  I am not sure if it would work for you or not but it might be worth a look.  Good luck

PS.  I also know that pst files that get too large, over 2GB, cause all kinds of problems.

crislax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

Yes, I know about the 2gb file size problem - this pst file is only about 300mb, so that's not the issue....
I also tried creating a new blank .pst file on the DNS320, then making it the mail delivery folder, and copying messages from the old inbox to the new inbox. Before the copy completes, an error comes up, then the inbox folder on the new .pst file is no longer accessible and Outlook won't run after closed until the primary/mail delivery location is changed. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the add-in.
I really would like to figure out though what the problem is --- nothing makes sense to me about it so far.... And so far, as best I can tell, there haven't been any other issues of data integrity/problems with both .pst files as well as other file types.

crislax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

By way of further update - now the data corruption is not isolated to Outlook .pst file -
the same computer station working on another [specialized program making use of BTrieve database] result in corrupted data file.

So far, problem appears to be only with a single workstation (out of 8 on the network).
This is major problem..... nothing has changed on the network that was working (with an HP Media Vault that bit the dust) other than the D-Link box.....

This is not good....!

crislax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »

Further test - tried working from another workstation doing a copy of outlook messages to a new pst file from the old one - and got same corruption/inaccessible file.
So, my conclusion is HOUSTON - THERE IS A PROBLEM ---! The DNS320 - at least in this configuration - cannot be trusted.
I am removing it from service.
May try to put in different (lower capacity) drive and see what happens.......

Update - I have taken the DNS out of service for the business' data - and am wishing had bought a more expensive/reliable unit.....anyway,
I can re-create data corruption 100% of the time - it is not some intermittent problem.
I have the 3tb drives configured as a 2tb RAID-1 volume, and a second JBOD volume (2tb - using the spare 1tb on the 2 drives).
I also tried creating outlook files on the (until now) blank JBOD volume.
Using Outlook 2003, copy all ~1000 messages from an inbox file of the 300mb .pst file residing on the Storage Server to a new blank .pst file on the Storage Server. Before it completes, it errors and the file becomes unreadable. Doesn't matter whether the new .pst file is on the RAID-1 or JBOD volume.

If I do the same thing, but copy to a new blank .pst file residing on the local PC, the operation completes and there is no problem.

File copy operations seem to work fine - seems problem is isolated to software that is making modifications to data files like the .pst file or a btrieve .dat file, etc.

DAY 3 - Further Update:
Summary - have not totally determined cause of problem, but with another DNS-320 box with different configuration, do not have the problem.

A seconds DNS-320, installed with one 1.5tb drive, formatted as one Standard partition is able to do the Outlook .pst copy that fails on the original box. Here are the differences:

1(a). Single 1.5tb drive (Samsung) in Standard format vs Two Seagate 3tb drives as 2TB Raid-1 + 2TB JBOD, or
1(b), A 1.5tb drive (Samsung) & 2tb drive (Seagate) as RAID-1 (1.5tb) + 0.5TB JBOD vs Two Seagate 3tb drives as 2TB Raid-1 + 2TB JBOD
2. Firmware version 2.00 vs Firmware version 2.02
3. Outlook 2003 running on Win7x64 client machine vs Outlook 2003 running on WinXP32 client machines

Not sure if should upgrade the firmware as my understanding is that cannot be reversed. Eliminated the #3 difference by confirming there is data error on a 3rd PC running Win7x64 to the 2x3tb DNS-320 box.
So, it appears that problem is specific to 2.02firmware with 3tb drives....
Because the boxes currently are at different locations, I can't switch the drives from one box to the other which would let me test the working 1.5/2.0tb drive combination on the 2.02 firmware without updating the 2.00 box......

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:26:57 PM by crislax »

EJK

• Level 1 Member

I have been experiencing corrupted backup files since updating to firmware version 2.02.  Firmware 2.0 does not have a problem.  The backup file sizes involved in my case are several hundred Mb in size.  Do you experience the corrupted .PST file problem with 2.00 or 2.02 firmware?

zlatan24

• Level 1 Member

Look at restore outlook .pst up to 16TB, contacts, attachments, notes, journals and etc. Utility finds, scans and restores corrupted .pst file without changing source data during process. Software uses simply, intuitive interface is accessible to usual users. For checking tool you can download version.

perazim

• Level 1 Member

Has there been any further revelations regarding what is going on here.

I have a DNS-320 running 2.0 with 2x1.5TB WD drives used to store media files accessed by SAMBA.

Now I need replace one 1.5TB with a 3TB WD drive which AFAIK requires firmware upgrade to 2.02.

After reading this thread, it may be like drinking the cool-aid.

Has anybody tested with the 2.03beta?

Thanks,

Perazim

PS: Was there any evidence of file system corruption or was this only just the file itself that was corrupted?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:10:18 AM by perazim »

crislax

• Level 1 Member

I am OP and here's my update at this point:
There definitely was/is issue with the DNS320 & these Seagate 3tb drives in the configuration I mention - running the 2.02 firmware.

Due to semi-mistake, I had duplicate order for DNS320 so had 2 boxes - I put the second box in service with a new 2tb Seagate drive and a 1.5tb Samsung drive that was previously obtained/used in different NAS. I did NOT update the firmware on the DNS320. This configuration has been in service now over a month without any issues: no data corruption, no FTP issues.

I did open a support case with DLink on this, and never have received even a reply to the support request.
I have been working on other things and did the Dlink taken out of service was at remote location. I now have it back and plan to do some additional testing to see if can further narrow cause of problem.

crislax

• Level 1 Member

By way of further updates to this -

The box that has the 2.02 firmware and out of service -
I installed only 1 Seagate 3tb drive, format as Standard, and can do operations on the Outlook file without getting corruption - appears to work OK in this configuration.

I then installed a second drive - 500gb, and formatted as 1 RAID-1 497gb volume leaving remaining space blank. (Now the box is 1 3tb drive & 1 500gb drive / 2.02 firmware / RAID-1).
Copied only the Outlook .pst file do the drive.
Opened the file, deleted some messages and the file is corrupted - cannot be accessed & cannot be repaired.

My suspicion at this point (requires even more testing) is the problem is related to RAID-1 and firmware 2.02, and suspect would have same problem with 2 drives of any size.... I will see if can find another spare drive to test this theory. Would seem to be consistent with other reports on this board of data corruption with 2.02 firmware.....

And, I am 100% convinced now that I should NEVER have bought D-LINK product - ONE MONTH after putting a support request in for this issue, I get a reply that says:

"These units are not meant to be used for database, they are more for your backup's. Microsoft doesn't recommend that have your PST files run from a network storage."

Wow, all I can say is wow. Even though the BOX for the DNS-320 calls this device "Network Storage" and the FIRST item on the box says "Share files over your network", and it has a box at the top with the text "Share Center-> Central storage + Gigabit connectivity for your network" - apparently it's not really meant to be used to share files over the network - it's just a backup device????  This is really unbelievable.

crislax

• Level 1 Member

Update again:
Tested with 2tb & 500gb drives - corruption occurs. Eliminated 3gb drive as cause.

Pulled the 500gb drive and left 2gb drive - so 'degraded' RAID-1 configuration - corruption occurs.

Pretty much feel like have conclusive result that 2.02 firmware with RAID-1 does not preserve data integrity.
Since beta 2.03 is out, loaded that on the box.

with single 2gb 'degraded' RAID-1 - problem still occurs.
So, corruption still occuring with 2.03 firmware!

Since can't downgrade to 2.00, I tried some further testing with single drive in Standard (EXT-3) format - and got corruption / file size got changed to 0. It just took longer/more operations than with RAID-1 drive - so, disregard my earlier statement that works with Standard format. Does not. And this change to 0 file size corresponds to other reports of problems with firmware 2.02/2.03.....

This is really not good, and seems to me  like D-Link doesn't care.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:31:53 PM by crislax »

kolsassoon

• Level 1 Member

[Link removed from post]

Hi

I have also had this problem witht the 2.02 Firmware and contated DLink. They have recommend this Beta

ftp:***************************************************

Which seems to have solved my problems

Hope this is helpful to others.

Robert
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:26:37 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

I understand that you are trying help other members, but unfortunately we cannot post links to non-published firmware on this forum, especially if the firmware was created for a region other than NA (North America) or WW (worldwide).  I see from your profile that you are from the UK, which, if this is where you obtained the firmware, raises compatibility questions/concerns with hardware/firmware from other regions.

Thank you for your support.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:29:52 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

dmc

• Level 1 Member

Well, I am very grateful to Robert and apparently very lucky for having read his post before it got edited.

I had just bought the DNS-320 with two 2 TB Seagate drives when after testing it for a couple of days without any issues I made the mistake to follow D-Link's advise to upgrade to the latest 2.03.   Shortly after --at the first email send/receive--  I had a corrupted pst file that Microsoft's PST repair utility was unable to fix. And I was unable to downgrade the unit to its original code.  Fortunately I had a backup just hours old, so I did not lose much data.

I was about to return the DNS-320 to where I bought it (Amazon) and buy something else when I found Robert's link to the beta code 2.03b03.  I test it and have been using it for six days already with no issues at all (I bought the product in the USA).

So this beta patch definitively solved my problem while saving D-Link from losing a customer to a competitor.

I am just hoping that if similar critical issues are reported by users and patches released, that D-Link will keep us all informed --instead of hearing it from the grapevine-- before we end up with loss of data or other headaches.

Thanks,

David