• April 19, 2024, 08:03:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Signal with DAP-1522  (Read 12132 times)

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
Signal with DAP-1522
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »

I have a DIR-855 (Hardware: A1 Firmware: 1.11) and DAP-1522 (Firmware: 1.02).  The DAP-1522 is running as a bridge to connect to the 855 using AES with WPA2 mode.

The 855 is a weaker signal than my old Linksys WRT54GX4.  At 5GHz it is even weaker.  I was counting on the 855 having a stronger signal at 2.4 GHz than my older Linksys router. 

These measurements are from the DAP-1522 site survey:
RouterChannelFreqSignal
DIR-85542.4 GHz70%
DIR-8551535 GHz52%
WRT54GX472.4 GHz76%

When looking at the connection from the DIR-855, I see that the DAP-1522 signal strength is ~26% and 27Mbps.  This is connecting using AES encryption at 5 GHz.

Why does the DIR-855 seem weaker than the WRT54GX4?  Is there anything I can do?  I have already confirmed the serial number is outside of the ones listed here: http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DIR%2D855

aleicgrant

Re: Signal with DAP-1522
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »

ah my son welcome to the world of beta hardware. Now I have another comrade in arms to help me push these issues.

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:23:46 AM »

I'm having sort of the same issues.

I have the A2 hardware version, with 1.11. Signal strength in a LOS (same floor, through maybe one wall) on 5GHz is weak (20-50% variable). However, downstairs (through the floor and some walls) the signal strengths actually INCREASE. I get better throughput downstairs than upstairs on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

I've also noticed that every 5 minutes or so, the wireless has to "reset". I try to load pages, even the router admin pages, and it takes 30-60 seconds for the wireless to reset and load the page. I never lose a connection; rather, it just takes forever to load anything during these resets.

I'm not sure if this is anything you're experiencing. If it's not, then I will start a new thread. I just didn't want to post a new thread if it was the same types of problems.

I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue or a hardware problem. Does the router really broadcast BOTH wireless spectrums at the same time simultaneously, or are the signals interplexed through the antennas? If this is the case, then I can see why my 5GHz is suffering - I have three 2.4GHz devices compared to my one 5GHz device.

marciorr

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:03:27 AM »

I have a DIR-855 (Hardware: A1 Firmware: 1.11) and DAP-1522 (Firmware: 1.02).  The DAP-1522 is running as a bridge to connect to the 855 using AES with WPA2 mode.

The 855 is a weaker signal than my old Linksys WRT54GX4.  At 5GHz it is even weaker.  I was counting on the 855 having a stronger signal at 2.4 GHz than my older Linksys router. 

These measurements are from the DAP-1522 site survey:
RouterChannelFreqSignal
DIR-85542.4 GHz70%
DIR-8551535 GHz52%
WRT54GX472.4 GHz76%

When looking at the connection from the DIR-855, I see that the DAP-1522 signal strength is ~26% and 27Mbps.  This is connecting using AES encryption at 5 GHz.

Why does the DIR-855 seem weaker than the WRT54GX4?  Is there anything I can do?  I have already confirmed the serial number is outside of the ones listed here: http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DIR%2D855

I am having the same problem, before the DIR-855 I was using a Belkin N1 Vision, and with the Belkin my signal was about 88%, but with the DIR-855 my signal (2.4GHz) is 76%. If I try to use 5GHz the signal is even weaker, about 56%. My hardware is A2 and my firnware is 1.11. Shouldn´t the signal of the 855 be stronger?

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:43:15 PM »

Are any of the D-Link techs/moderators going to reply to this? I know I could really use some help/explanation on why every 5-10 minutes my 5GHz signal will stop accepting my requests and then magically start working again, but never disconnect my wireless signal. I just get internet pages that take forever to load and then finally do when the wireless finally starts working again.

Also, the router says very minimal packet loss is occurring which doesn't explain the frequency of the interruptions.

aleicgrant

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:01 AM »

try reducing the RTS and fragment to 2340

cant say for sure it will work 100% but that was a suggestion by a tech I spoke to. Look in your logs, do you see it saying wirless link is up, wireless link is down. I see dozens of those in both my 1555's and 1522 which leads me to believe its constantly disconnecting and connecting. Perhaps yet again another flaw that needs to be addressed by D-link

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:43:25 AM »

Thank you very much for your reply!!! I really appreciate it!

I will look into changing those settings, but for now I noticed that there are NO wireless link state changes at all.

It's weird. I think I *might* have fixed the problem though I'm not sure; my Firefox was set to "Automatically Detect Proxy" and I think it was having a negative effect every 5 minutes for some reason.

I've since changed it and so far I haven't noticed any real hiccups... but I can't say for sure because I haven't used it a whole lot since.

I'll keep you updated. And again, thanks for the reply! It's a real shame that after paying almost $300 US the tech support forum that D-Link set up can't offer any tech or D-Link rep advice!

I'm starting to think that purchasing a D-Link was a bad idea... I really hope that D-Link will change my mind since I've always used Linksys, but their quality has gone down too, so I finally decided to switch over to D-Link despite always telling people not to use them... let's just hope that I won't regret that...

D-Link, I know you guys are better than that now... you've come so far with your routers I just hope you don't throw it all away because of poor customer service... PLEASE enlighten us on what is going on.

aleicgrant

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

sorry my bad I was thinking of the 1555

Thank you very much for your reply!!! I really appreciate it!

I will look into changing those settings, but for now I noticed that there are NO wireless link state changes at all.

It's weird. I think I *might* have fixed the problem though I'm not sure; my Firefox was set to "Automatically Detect Proxy" and I think it was having a negative effect every 5 minutes for some reason.

I've since changed it and so far I haven't noticed any real hiccups... but I can't say for sure because I haven't used it a whole lot since.

I'll keep you updated. And again, thanks for the reply! It's a real shame that after paying almost $300 US the tech support forum that D-Link set up can't offer any tech or D-Link rep advice!

I'm starting to think that purchasing a D-Link was a bad idea... I really hope that D-Link will change my mind since I've always used Linksys, but their quality has gone down too, so I finally decided to switch over to D-Link despite always telling people not to use them... let's just hope that I won't regret that...

D-Link, I know you guys are better than that now... you've come so far with your routers I just hope you don't throw it all away because of poor customer service... PLEASE enlighten us on what is going on.

SANhacker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »

Are there any 5.8GHz phones nearby?  This was the case for me and my signal strength rose when I moved the DIR-855 away from the phone.

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »

In my case, there are no other phones to interfere with the signal.  There are cell phones, but no landlines.  There is only one other access point within range (2.4GHz) and it has a weak signal.

aleicgrant

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

how far away is the 1522 from the 855?

try moving it farther away if you can believe that

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:28:04 PM »

It's already about 40' away and several walls.

aleicgrant

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »

hmmm

well dont know what else to try. The mods have gone completely silent here or they arent answering because they are sick of our complaining :)

Capt Spalding

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 07:01:03 AM »

Well this IS an interesting thread.  I'm looked over a few other threads, and see a mod say he just maintains order and locks threads, but then he says he's testing firmware and relaying info to the company. What a messed up process.

Just let me vent here, because as a final word. This is the worst piece of s*** I've ever bought.

I spent close to $350+ for a DIR855 A2, and a DAP1522.  2 phone calls and I get one support person (Steven) who was great and got these 2 pieces talking to each other.  The push-buttons on the side are crap, the OLED display is crap, and the router/bridge is crap.

So I lose connections and I call in again, and get someone who doesn't speak English as a first language, and he tells me a quick way to get them talking to each other, and I'm upset about the help I get. but happy it's working.

Now I come to find out, it won't stay connected for more than 4-5 hours, and I check the logs and litterly NOTHING is being sent between them.  Their 15 Ft. apart with one floor between them.  I'm got 18% signal strength on the 5GHz mode and 56% on 2.4.  

I know where the problem is. it's on BOTH of them. This is my third Dlink router system.  When I put out the extra money for the top of the line router and top of the line bridge I expect top of the line eq. and top of the line support. Not this kind of crap in tech support.  Do you know that everything in my system has completely slowed down.  I click to open a web page and have to wait about 1 min. for a response.  I have to DOUBLE click each button in the router/bridge setups.

You know what is good?  That google will store this reply and people will see that Dlink just released a very bad line of eq.  No wonder Linksys has the market cornered.  Dlink can't keep up, let alone compete.

I've more or less completely stripped my router settings down to bare nothing just to try to keep the bridge connected and I am looking at only 12% signal strength and expecting a complete disconnect at any moment.  With that disconnect It will be 1/2 hours until it connects once again.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that when someone says Dlink's own beta forums are N dlinks responsibility and then starts locking threads. YOU DO NOT WANT ANYTHING MORE TO DO WITH THEIR EQUIPMENT.

Signed me pissed and a former owner.

s/n F3S|188000379

I had NO problems with a 634M router and at least I had 108M throughput.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »

Funny how you say "Linksys has the market cornered". Been to their forums recently?