• April 17, 2024, 07:24:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?  (Read 74452 times)

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
Re: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

Oh wait! Okay, my bad.   I've been using my Ubuntu server/Gnome to hit the DLINK router web GUI and test connections. What you said reminded me that I have it manually set to static 192.168.1.100 (not just an assigned DHCP lease, although not sure why I set it up static when assigning via the DLINK would have been sufficient I think) and my /etc/resolv.conf was set to :o
Code: [Select]
nameserver 192.168.1.1So I changed it to this  8)
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.222.220
nameserver 4.2.2.1
For those that don't know, 4.2.2.1 is some old DNS server (owned by Level 3) that's been around for as long as I can remember. If you ever are unsure of a DNS IP, you can always count on that one. Even if DLINK gets this DNS relay issue (or whatever is the problem) resolved, I think I will keep my resolv.conf file like that anyways come to think of it -- can't hurt to have multiple DNS entries in there right.  ;)

Is there any harm/slowdown in putting 192.168.1.1 (my router) as a DNS with this relay turned off? Like, will my packets have to timeout or anything before they hit the 208.* ones? I'm not noticing anything significant so far.

Then I fired up my Windows7 notebook, did this:
cmd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Now both are working fine.  :)

I will let this run and report back. Usually it runs all day from this point (11am) till about 8pm or so without incident. I think it's related to the fact that I'm on it all day (ssh/IMAPS/SMTP), whereas when I come home after work, I tend to watch TV and be with family, so it's not in use as much. Perhaps a clue in there? Maybe some kind of timeout for inactivity or something?
There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.

tjberens

• Level 1 Member
    • Twitter
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »

So.... then why can't I access the internet (via domain names) with DNS relay off, if my settings appear correct? Is there somewhere else I need to update DNS (such as on EACH PC connected to the router -- that seems like a PITA when I have about a dozen machines that go through this DLINK). Or is there some other router GUI page that needs attention?

I'm half tempted to just go back to the store, buy another DIR655 (which will come with 1.21 on it) and return this 1.32 one in its place. This is ridiculous that I can't even downgrade, until they figure this out -- I really don't understand that part at all.

What I meant is if the computers are connected with DHCP, their connection to the router will need to be restarted.

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »

I will let this run and report back. Usually it runs all day from this point (11am) till about 8pm or so without incident. I think it's related to the fact that I'm on it all day (ssh/IMAPS/SMTP), whereas when I come home after work, I tend to watch TV and be with family, so it's not in use as much. Perhaps a clue in there? Maybe some kind of timeout for inactivity or something?
Well, it's been 24 hours of uptime now as it's 11am again and I'm off to work. Doing my usual check my internet connectivity (and hard-reset the DLINK router). But shockingly today I was able to ping out to any domain name I could think of. Woo Hoo!

So... how do I change my Poll vote from "what's DNS relay?" to "Yes!" ?
There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.

newtoncd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »

router has been up for 15 days since disabling DNS relay.

DAE51D

• Level 2 Member
    • daevid
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »

Damnit! I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. It's 12:30p and I'm at work and can no longer get my email or ssh to my home server as of right now (was fine till now). I can't even ping the IP. UGH! This sucks.

What's worse is that it seems to have taken out my Vonage phone too. The interesting thing with that is the way I have it setup is like so (purposely so that this kind of thing couldn't/shouldn't happen, where I lose my SIP/VoIP phone service):

______ Vonage (gets a 10.10.* from modem from Comcast)
                          |
wall ---- cable modem ----|
                          |                                _______ Server (192.168.1.100)
                          |------ DLINK (static IP) ------|
                                     |_______ Notebooks, etc. (DHCP)

Yesterday and every other day for the past week or more, when DNS relay was enabled and the router S.T.B., Vonage was fine. Perhaps this is coincidence, but it sure is curious.

I was able to SMS txt my g.f. and have her pull the plug (since I couldn't phone home or drive there myself), and then everything started working again (server AND vonage). WTF!?

So... how do I change my poll vote from "what's DNS relay?" to "No!!!!!!" ?

I think I'll just execute plan B... time to buy a new DIR-655 (with v1.21 on it) and return this one. I've learned my lesson not to fix what isn't broke, that's for sure. I have neither the time nor patience for this bull$hit!

TheWitness

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »

Running for 2 weeks now and no more issues.  Thank GOODNESS!!!

TheWitness

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »

My lockups seemed to have stopped but I dont know why. It could have been because I moved, in which case the environment changed, even though this new area has more AP's around, or it's because I had a talk with one of the room mates, who now doesn't have 15 torrents going at once, or if it's because I decided to leave the network unencrypted.

blakhawk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »

I have been playing around with this router for 2 months. (note:  I have worked as a network admin for 15+ years)  I have upgraded to version 1.32 of the firmware to alleviate some issues only to get the dreaded lockup issue.  The router locks up once a day at least.  I have tried a myriad of the things listed in this forum including disabling DNS relay.  Nothing solves the issue.  I'm not looking for help at this point.  This is a buyer beware post.  If you're looking to buy a router you would do well to steer clear of DLINK.  This was my first and last purchase of a DLINK product.  The current state of the product is unacceptable. 

MrSinatra

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:23 PM »

well, two weeks since i disabled DNS relay and advanced dns and so far no lockups.

i use a cable modem with comcast btw.

dlink has really dropped the ball on this.  the newer fw and/or features must be to blame.  it used to be rock solid.

when are they gonna get this fixed?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »

We have gathered enough information about this issue. This thread is no longer needed.
I am going to lock this thread, if anyone feels i have done this in error please PM me.

-Lycan.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]