• March 28, 2024, 03:52:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 Fan Powerdown problems  (Read 29297 times)

soulfree75

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Fan Powerdown problems
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »

Hi. Hoping someone can help with this.

I bought the DNS-323 less than 2 weeks ago. The problem that I am having is that the fan doesn't power down after non-use. In the settings under power management I have selected Turn Off Hard Drives after 10mins, Fan Control is Auto (Off / Low / High). Power Recovery is enabled.
The DNS is hooked up to an Asus 8-port switch which in turn is connected to a Billion 7404VGP-M and it gets it's IP address assigned from the billion.

I have the dns email logs to me and there are several of these events: "fan can't stop, check it please". Also this morning it was being extra weird in that it was switching on for 2 minutes and switching off for 4 minutes... over and over again.

I restarted it and right now the fan has been running for over an hour. I am not accessing it. I even disconnected the Lan cable and it still won't power down.

Is this thing faulty? Running firmware 1.08 and it's Revision C1.
Also it is set up as a raid 1 with 2x1TB HDDs in there.

Thanks.

rcblackwell

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-323 Fan Powerdown problems
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:19:05 AM »

You don't mention which build the 1.08 firmware is thus it's hard to say for sure; I recall reading about a problem with builds earlier than 1.08. If your box is not on this version it may be with an upgrade.
Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

AFTICARR.COM

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:38:47 AM »

I have the same message in the log file.  Current Firmware Version :  1.08 - Build:  08  
Firmware Date :  12/18/2009  

Edit:

Mine is set for Auto and is currently running on low speed.  Current System Temp is: 105°F / 41°C
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:47:25 AM by AKFubar »

CorporateOffRoader

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:45:01 AM »

Where is the log file?

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »

On the "Status" tab then  "Logs" on the left pane.

soulfree75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »

Mine is set for Auto and is currently running on low speed.  Current System Temp is: 105°F / 41°C

Is the fan meant to run even when you're not using the DNS? Let's say the PC is switched off, should the DNS's fan power off until the next time you access the DNS? Or is it correct operation for it to go on and off?
I was running firmware 1.08B05, then I found this firmware, Version 1.08 final "1. Bugfix : when upgrading from a older f/w to the latest v1.08 f/w, the FAN run in high speed continually" from http://www.station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm
But I'm still getting "fan can't stop, check it please".
Maybe it's a faulty unit but it's impossible to get in touch with D-Link (non) support. I emailed them twice a week ago and 2 days ago, no reply. Called them 2 days ago and was told a technician would call me back when available, no-one called me back.

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

As I understand it, in "Auto" Mode the fan is supposed to turn on when the temp inside the 323 reaches a preset temp limit and shut down or decrease in speed as the temp in the unit drops.  It should increase in speed if the the next temp limit is reached etc.  I don't know what the temp limits are as they are not published.  Mine does seem to be on most of the time in "Auto" Mode even if the temp of the unit is relatively low say 105 degrees F..  Seems there is still a bug in the beta release code.

Edit:

I have posted this issue in the 1.08 Beta feedback post.  Perhaps D-Link engineering will revisit the coding for this feature.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:04:39 AM by AKFubar »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

Mine works fine, currently at 43C with the fan running on the low speed.  I did have some issues, and I found that the Auto (off, low, high) setting didn't work properly, so I switched to the Auto (low, high) setting.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

soulfree75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »

If anyone is having similar problems to my original post, I got the following info from D-link support which relates to Hardware Version C1 only...

"I have left the DNS-323 running over night and was able to replicate the bug that you are experiencing.
I will forward this onto our developers."

"I have been advised that this issue will be fixed in the final release however there is currently no ETA.
In the mean time the work around is to change the fan setting to something other than Auto, apply it and then put it back."

Hope this helps others.

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 03:42:22 AM »

Thanks very much for posting this.  The workaround solution is now working for me!   :)

Glad this issue will be fixed in the final.

Cheers

jolley

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 04:55:48 AM »

Yes that workaround worked for me with A1 hardware.

Resetting to defaults with the button on the back also worked.

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 03:54:41 AM »

By my observation.... As I mentioned that workaround did work for me and the fan actually shuts down now but I have noticed it only shuts down for a few minutes and then starts again for few minutes.  It does this  constantly whether there is activity on the 323 or not.  This feature still needs improvement and hopefully they will get this straightened out once and for all on the final fw release.

soulfree75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

I also have observed the same. In addition I have been keeping an eye on the temperature in the status and it keeps changing from around 43celcius to 45celcius. It does not drop below 43 even though I am not accessing the unit. When the fan does switch off I can still hear the HDDs running which is probably why the temperature never drops. So even though I have it set to switching off the HDDs after 5 mins of inactivity thay are constantly running.
I was given the following temperatures by d-link:
OFF = 43 degree celcius
LOW = 46 degree celcius
HIGH = 49 degree celcius

I wonder when the final is going to be released. Not soon enough I suspect.

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »

Thanks for posting those temp thresholds.   I have a pair of WD caviar green drives in my 323.  They go into power saver mode after not being used.  However the fan on the 323 still runs on and off every few minutes anyway so yeah, I think some fine tuning on the 323 fw is still needed.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »

My DNS-323 is at 44C and the fan is currently stopped.

I am using the Auto (Off/Low/High) fan setting.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.
Pages: [1] 2 3