• April 16, 2024, 07:04:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SharePort and TV?  (Read 10595 times)

SaphuA

• Level 1 Member
SharePort and TV?
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »

The answer is probably no, but I will try it anyway.

Is there any way to make my Philips TV able to connect to the USB's on our router?

!!!!clarkkent

• Level 3 Member
Re: SharePort and TV?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »

No. In order for the SharePort feature to work, you need to have the shareport utility installed so that it can communicate to the USB device connected to the router. you cannot install the shareport utility on a television.
"A mighty sword is useless in the hands of a coward!"

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »

No. In order for the SharePort feature to work, you need to have the shareport utility installed so that it can communicate to the USB device connected to the router. you cannot install the shareport utility on a television.

And NO, you cannot adapt the utility or driver to be used on the TV ;)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

hvgsel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:03 AM »

But...

Philips Network Connected TV's use DLNA to share files, so you need a media server in a PC to share files over the NW.

So : to share the files on your USB drive on the network :
- make sure UPNP is activated in Windows and in your router (needed for sharing with DLNA)
- first share in Windows with the network : the directories on your shareport connected USB drive
- then allow sharing in Windows Media player (general setting in WMP)
- then add the files/directories you want to share to a playlist

It will take some time for your TV to discover the nw-shares, but after half an hour or so, you should be able to play your media, also from the shareport connected drive.

You can also use another media server on your PC like TVersity.

There's a lot of info on the Philips support site for all this :

http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp

Select your country,then the type of TV and you will see a lot of FAQ and so on.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:53:24 AM by hvgsel »

polowear28

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »

I simply wanted to comment that the advice from hvgsel is correct and a great working solution to sharing files with your tv. I did some quick google searches on how to do some of the steps and managed to get my Samsung LED tv to see the videos on the directories I selected. Anyone else wanting to do the same should follow those steps.

hvgsel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »

Thank you, Polowear28. It's indeed not only a solution for Philips TV sets, but also generally true for all devices supporting DLNA.

rbcorrea

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »

Hi All !
Iīm very disappointted with my Dir-655 limitation..

So, let me understand the situation: itīs impossible to TVs to access the HD attached to D-Linkīs USB port, because we cannot install a Shareport client on TVīs....

But, TV usesDLNA tecnology to access media avaliable in the network.
So, is it impossible to D-Link release a firmware with a 'built-in' DLNA server to supply the limitation ?

If itīs not possible, is there any other D-Link product that do the task ?

If not, is there any other option (hardware) to share an USB External Hard Drive to all devices of a network, including TVīs, notebooks, tablets, smatfones, without the need of a dedicated computer working as a media server ??

Thanks a lot..

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:24:38 AM »

Your best best would be to find a DLink router that has DNLA options available. I believe that the new generation amplifi.dlink.com routers have this. Dlink will probably not be upgrading the 655 router any more after unless a major bug if found that causes a major malfunction of the router or regarding security.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:15:11 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

hvgsel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »

rncorrea,

I just came back to this thread again, but there is a limited possibility when you connect the USB drive to the router and make a Shareport conection on one PC in the network.

If you connect your external USB drive to the router, activate the link to the USB drive in Shareport and then make a Windows share for it with 'anyone' authorised (see my earlier post).

After that, if you leave the Shareport connection on on that computer, you should be able to access the USB drive.