• March 28, 2024, 03:45:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Backing up to DNS323  (Read 5894 times)

drmark12pa

• Level 1 Member
Backing up to DNS323
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »

Currently I have 2 DNS323's for multiple backups of my computer which I perform weekly backups from my PC to the DNS323.
My question is with using the built in scheduling for routine backups, how do I make sure that files that I have deleted on my PC (the source that I'm backing up) are also then deleted during the backup to the DNS323s?  I've found that basically the backup feature just dumps all data to the DNS323 but won't "clean up" any files that have been renamed or deleted. (this is with the incremental backup box checked)

I have tried Synctoy2.0 but that runs incredibly slow to use as a backup software option. 
Any other ideas to keep the backup folders on the DNS323 "clean" and identical to the source folder even after deletions and renaming?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Backing up to DNS323
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »

Assuming you are using Windows, check out robocopy command line program. It's available on Vista and 7 and installable as a package on XP. It has a mirror option which will do what you are after.

If you do use robocopy and your source files are on an NTFS file system, you will need to use the /FFT switch as file timestamps are stored with greater accuracy on NTFS than on Linux EXT format which is what the DNS uses. Without it you'll get inconsistent behavour mirroring your folders.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:16:34 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:16:44 AM »

I use Beyond Compare www.scootersoftware.com for my backups.  It offers many modes and I have a bunch of scripts that do backup chores.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »

Currently I have 2 DNS323's for multiple backups of my computer which I perform weekly backups from my PC to the DNS323.
My question is with using the built in scheduling for routine backups, how do I make sure that files that I have deleted on my PC (the source that I'm backing up) are also then deleted during the backup to the DNS323s?  I've found that basically the backup feature just dumps all data to the DNS323 but won't "clean up" any files that have been renamed or deleted. (this is with the incremental backup box checked)

I have tried Synctoy2.0 but that runs incredibly slow to use as a backup software option. 
Any other ideas to keep the backup folders on the DNS323 "clean" and identical to the source folder even after deletions and renaming?

Strictly speaking sync & backup are different things.

Think about this carefully - the last thing you want happening with your backup is files being deleted to match your primary storage - what do you do if you delete a file by accident?

Can you recover it from your backup?  Too late - it's gone!!  Kind of defeats the purpose of a backup doesn't it?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »

That's why my "sync" has two levels of backup behind it. ;)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

drmark12pa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »

Well, I guess in the strictest sense, I would like the DNS323 Synching with my PC's folders so that every time I make a change (be it delete a file or rename a file on my PC), the new change would take place in on the DNS323.  This is exactly what Synctoy does but it is so slow with the DNS323 that it almost appears frozen so I'm not sure what is happening to prevent it from working when I am trying to synch files from one of my HP Vista laptop folder to a folder on the DNS323 as an experiment.
Does Beyond Compare work faster and more smoothly?
Any other ideas to keep folders identical between my PC (or laptop) and the DNS323 without just dragging/dropping and using a simple program (I'm not familiar with doing any scripts and such... just want an easy program or idea with possibly using the built in backup program in the DNS323).

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:33 PM »

Well, I guess in the strictest sense, I would like the DNS323 Synching with my PC's folders so that every time I make a change (be it delete a file or rename a file on my PC), the new change would take place in on the DNS323.  This is exactly what Synctoy does but it is so slow with the DNS323 that it almost appears frozen so I'm not sure what is happening to prevent it from working when I am trying to synch files from one of my HP Vista laptop folder to a folder on the DNS323 as an experiment.
Does Beyond Compare work faster and more smoothly?
Any other ideas to keep folders identical between my PC (or laptop) and the DNS323 without just dragging/dropping and using a simple program (I'm not familiar with doing any scripts and such... just want an easy program or idea with possibly using the built in backup program in the DNS323).

Acronis TrueImage Home in continues backup mode backs up any changes to your system every 5 minutes, plus you can schedule full, incremental backup, it is a full backup solution.

R.