• April 18, 2024, 12:21:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Most devices topped out at 20 Mbps until I switched from WPA2/WPA3 to WPA/WPA2  (Read 2592 times)

NoelC

• Level 1 Member

I got a brand new AX5400 / DIR-X5460 provisioned yesterday and initialized the settings to match as well as possible the settings of the DIR-867 I was swapping out.  I'm in the US.  The new router's firmware was updated to 1.10 at initial startup.

One of the settings I consciously changed in Settings > Wireless (Advanced Settings) during initial setup was the Security Mode.  Because newer is touted as better I chose WPA2/WPA3-Personal over my prior router's setting of WPA/WPA2-Personal.  Notably DFS was off on the prior system, so I left it off on the new one.

After going through all the screens, all our wireless devices reconnected, but...  I did a Ookla Speed Tests on all our 20 or so devices, including Macbooks, iPads, Android Phones, Sony Smart TV, PC...  Most of them (with the specific exception of a brand new Ulefone I got a few days ago) would test at only 20 megabits of data transfer speed.  My son's months-old high-end Galaxy smartphone would only get 20/20 megabits right next to my Ulefone consistently getting 250/100 (our ISP speed).  I rebooted most of the devices but none got higher than 20 Mbps.  Yes, I only tested one at a time.

I was almost ready to give up and put the prior router back in place when it occurred to me to try switching back to WPA/WPA2-Personal.  I did and boom, all downlink speeds in all devices jumped up to 100 Mbps or higher, with the closer ones to the router getting the full 250 Mbps we get from our ISP.

This security and encryption setting shouldn't affect speed, should it?  I admit I don't understand these security standards very well.

Thanks for any wisdom you might be able to share.  I can of course switch it back and read statuses or do other measurements as needed.

-Noel

NoelC

• Level 1 Member

Might I be having the same problem as is described in this thread?
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=76190.0

It's being stated that the 1.10 firmware needs a factory reset.

Who would design a firmware upgrade that REQUIRES a factory reset?  I'm an engineer and even I am reluctant to go through such a process.

-Noel
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 07:24:47 AM by NoelC »

davevt31

• Level 9 Member

Yes, it's a pain, but the Factory Reset seems to help with some issues.

I have DFS on in my settings.
Try back at WPA 2/3 maybe during the restart of the router after the settings change fixed an issue.

NoelC

• Level 1 Member

Indeed a factory reset and reconfiguration of all parameters, including (crucially) enabling the Wi-Fi Mesh setting, seems to have given us the full 250/100 speeds of our ISP now on all devices, including a balky mini-PC that did not initially test higher than about 15 Mbps.

We have this nice web interface with big fonts and nice sliders, buttons, fields to type in...

Why isn't there a short description of what each of the settings actually does there?  I'm betting the flash memory in the router could hold a few thousand more characters of text.  The name "Wi-Fi Mesh" doesn't really imply "enable all the hidden performance features that can't be accessed through the individual settings".

-Noel