• March 28, 2024, 10:37:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: file and folder security question  (Read 10513 times)

dirtaddshp

file and folder security question
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »

im trying to set up security to prompt for a user name and password on certain folders and files.. I would not want them to be able to be opened with out authentication.

How do i do this? i read the manual but all i see is write protecting files.. not from reading/displaying.

thanks!

cfuhs

Re: file and folder security question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »

As far as I know, either you protect a folder or you don't.  Protecting a folder includes protection for both reading and writing.

dirtaddshp

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »

so by selecting "read" in the drop down box.. any user that is not specified will not have access?

Bhavik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

im trying to set up security to prompt for a user name and password on certain folders and files.. I would not want them to be able to be opened with out authentication.

How do i do this? i read the manual but all i see is write protecting files.. not from reading/displaying.

thanks!

I've tried this, I added permissions to a particular folder via the 343 page, under Advance -> Network Access. It showed up as another volume on the device, but it was still readable/writable from Volume_1, as it was a child folder in Volume_1, even if I made Volume_1 just read only, I could still read the files that were meant to be protected.

You could do the following:

Create a top level directory inside your volume, which is protected and another one which isn't.

Your folders would look like this on the unit as a example:
Volume_1
 - protected
 - unprotected

Then you would set your permissions on the protected folder, and then give read/write to anyone on the unprotected folder.

In this case you would end up with the following network shares on the device:
Volume_1
protected
unprotected

Then you could remove Volume_1 Network Access. So you ended up with two volumes protected and unprotected. I'm not aware of doing it any other way.

The problem I had was trying to access it from Vista, I would type the username & password, but I dont think it translates very well therefore auth failed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:33:36 PM by NeoNZ »

dirtaddshp

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »

okay i will try that.. im running XP.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:05:02 PM by dirtaddshp »

uneeq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

This may be a silly question, but doesn't 1.02 have NTLM capabilities?

Why not just use this functionality so that you can assign permissions for user accounts that are already present on the domain (assuming you have a network with a DC)? It would save having to create user accounts in the DNS-343 and would allow far more flexibility than the method described above (not to mention the possible auth issue NeoNZ has described - god forbid a random user with Vista needing to access the device - although I can't see this affecting authentication through an FTP session regardless of OS).

Regardless of which option you take: don't forget to modify any other built-in server permissions you may be running on the box, such as FTP!

dirtaddshp

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »

This may be a silly question, but doesn't 1.02 have NTLM capabilities?

Why not just use this functionality so that you can assign permissions for user accounts that are already present on the domain (assuming you have a network with a DC)? It would save having to create user accounts in the DNS-343 and would allow far more flexibility than the method described above (not to mention the possible auth issue NeoNZ has described - god forbid a random user with Vista needing to access the device - although I can't see this affecting authentication through an FTP session regardless of OS).

Regardless of which option you take: don't forget to modify any other built-in server permissions you may be running on the box, such as FTP!

no i am running on my home network which is a workgroup.. so i cannot benefit from a domain.. id love to as i am a MCSE and would really put the permissions to use!

Bhavik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

okay i will try that.. im running XP.

Can you post the results after you have tried this? Though for my setup, the Vista PC needs access to the protected share.

Im not sure why I can't access the protected share using Vista, the way permissions work seems to be the same as it would in XP, but something might have changed under the hood.

I also do not have a DC as I don't want a computer running 24/7, that is one of the reasons I brought the DNS-343.

dirtaddshp

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »

im working on it right now, ill update tomarrow sometime.

dirtaddshp

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

i had to copy all the files from Volume_1 to another folder.. it didnt finish before i left for work so ill try to check on it tonight and post on it.

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »

Can also create hidden shares on this device with a $ suffix.

dirtaddshp

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »

your suggestion worked! thank you soo much!

Bhavik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »

your suggestion worked! thank you soo much!

That is great, so you had no problems, when it prompted for username/password?

I will investigate further with Vista on this.