• March 28, 2024, 03:08:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wireless stopped working way quicker than before!  (Read 34528 times)

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
Wireless stopped working way quicker than before!
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:53:26 AM »

After just a couple of days, my wireless just went away this morning.

It has been as long as two weeks before the wireless part of the router froze up or stopped it's transmitting and receiving - LED's all still blinking 'normally' - as per previous thread(s) on this fault.

This is with H/W revision A and Firmware 1.05. I have no idea what is going wrong. The clue to it not working was when my wife came into the room and said that one of our wireless PC's was not connected.

I rebooted the router (power off then on again) and everything wireless came back on again.

Perhaps one of our DLINK people here can give us an update on an ETA for when we might see a fix?

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
Re: Wireless stopped working way quicker than before!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »

Hello bjrichus,

You mentioned that this happens on "one of our wireless PC's." Does this mean that other wireless computers connect just fine? Or do all of the wireless system have the same problem? It's important to note that if this occurs on just a single computer, it may in fact be that wireless adaptor giving you the problems. If that's the case, I would re-install the wireless adaptor or check to see if there is a driver update available for it.

Best of Luck,

Russell

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »

Hello bjrichus,

You mentioned that this happens on "one of our wireless PC's." Does this mean that other wireless computers connect just fine? Or do all of the wireless system have the same problem? It's important to note that if this occurs on just a single computer, it may in fact be that wireless adaptor giving you the problems. If that's the case, I would re-install the wireless adaptor or check to see if there is a driver update available for it.

Best of Luck,

Russell

I have a five wireless devices connected (2 x PC's, my son's Xbox, a weather station and a web cam) and all lost the link to the router at the same time.

However, if you look at my previous posts and read all the messages lower down in this area of the forum for the last couple of months, you will see that this appears to be an identified screw-up (aka: bug) introduced on the part of DLINK with the 1.05 firmware. At least this release of the firmware is a hell of a lot better than the previous ones - but it's still not 100% right just yet.

Several other topics here confirm that many/most/all(?) of us find that the wireless now just goes away after some length of time. The LED's all appear to be functioning just fine and the wired connections are all still great, but there is a problem with there being no wireless connection.

Since I upgraded my firmware to 1.05, I had about 2 months of it working to spec - with this one exception of after about 12 or perhaps 14 days, the wireless just goes away. This report from me is because it was only a few (2 or perhaps 3??) days after the last power cycle reset of the router before the wireless died on me again.

Considering that we all seem to have this symptom (has anyone here with H/W rev A and 1.05 Firmware NOT had this?), and that it affected ALL my varied wireless devices, it would appear that this is not likely to be "my" set up, but generic to the router/firmware.

Does that make sense?

Regards.

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:07:20 AM »

Concur.  Signal was lost to ALL (two of our PCs)

Not an adapter issue.

See my latest post at the top (jonesb).

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:04 AM »

Does the wireless signal return if you downgrade the firmware?

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »

With 1.04 1nd 1.03, the signal did not go off but the ability for the remote PS to authenticate an IP address did - in other words no connectivity.

The wise owls at DLink Support told me to upgrade to firmware 1.05.

It is very clear to me from reading all the posts in this forum that the WBR 2310 has a serious issue with being able to STAY up for any length of time beyond a few days of continued power up.

There is the issue about which version, Revision A or Revision B we have.  I believe I have Revision A, but am unsure if the other one is any better.

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »

Does the wireless signal return if you downgrade the firmware?

Did you not read the older posts on here? Like the posts from five or six months ago?

The very reason WHY I upgraded to 1.05 was to fix the reboot problems in 1.04, 1.03, 1.02 and so on.

At least now the router no longer reboots, it's wireless just dies....

cloon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »

Hi all,
    I don't seems to be having the same problem that you have...  I have a wii + a pc connected by wireless and they both can get access to the web without any problem..  The only problem I have is that Windows does not seems to register the other computer every time  ( I guess that is a config issue from my side )

I'm configured to send email log and I can see that :
- My wii is connecting each 2-5 min as usual
- My wireless computer gets renewed at proper time

configured with super G without turbo, TKIP personal
I have DHCP enabled and address are reserved...  ( i`m also not hidding the ssid )

I don't even want to test the beta firmware because thing are running smoothly for me ( for now ) :)

---When you say.. wireless just dies...   is it because you cant reach from one computer to the other or because the signal is lost on the `wireless` computer and it cant find your network ?

try activating the send log feature with all checks ...   you may find someting that will help dlink guy to find your issue... 

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »

Did you not read the older posts on here? Like the posts from five or six months ago?

The very reason WHY I upgraded to 1.05 was to fix the reboot problems in 1.04, 1.03, 1.02 and so on.

At least now the router no longer reboots, it's wireless just dies....

Hello bjrichus,

I know I'm not quoting the reply you gave me, but it's still relevant.

I generally don't read old topics that a user made when reading the current problem (I'm fairly sure the same for Lycan as well). For that I must apologize. It does appear though you're having wireless problems. From what I've heard/dealt with this particular router and firmware there is no known issue that is wide-spread. I'm not trying to down play your issue as I really would like to help you though.

Try changing the wireless channel. You may be receiving random wireless interference that is taking down the network. You can change it to channel 1-11. You can also try changing the type of security you have. WPA2 -> WPA for example. Or just change to WEP, or vice versa. You can also change the MTU to 1472 from 1500. You can also change the RTS threshhold and Fragmentation down to 2300 from the default setting. These are all vary basic though. If your problem persists, It's probably something that may not be documented anywhere or a bit harder to probe out. From there you could start disconnectng computers one by one to see if the problem persists, set static IPs, change firewalls, Crash-Reset the router and install the firmware again, etc, etc.

Best of Luck,

Russell
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:01:48 AM by RussellM »

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 04:44:18 AM »

I generally don't read old topics

You need to reread the older messages.

#1. The older versions of the firmware are really screwed-up in other ways than 1.05 is. For many of us here, the older firmware is effectively unusable.

#2. I am not alone in having this problem. It is confirmed by others here too.

All covered in the older messages.

that a user made when reading the current problem (I'm fairly sure the same for Lycan as well). For that I must apologize. It does appear though you're having wireless problems. From what I've heard/dealt with this particular router and firmware there is no known issue that is wide-spread. I'm not trying to down play your issue as I really would like to help you though.

Russell,

#1. Are you a DLINK employee?

#2. I take issue with your remarks about there being no widespread known issue. Quite unelated to my problem (a few months latter on, different batch, different retailer, different town), a friend tried to install another one of these routers at his apartment. Network Stumbler on my laptop shows that there were three other WiFi nets active in the area. All had different channels to the one we chose, he had a fixed IP, he used a variety of different encryption (thinking that might have been the problem), his router did the same as mine. He took it back to the store - to discover it was the third one the retailer had back from ticked-off users that week FOR THE SAME REASON.

#3. All your suggestions are ones we tried here on this forum... READ THE OLDER MESSAGES!

#4. I am a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator), a SCSA (Sun Certified System Administrator), and a SCNA (Sun Certified Network Administrator) and for a living I administer a network with about 100 Unix and PC servers on it. I work in a University where we have a bunch of Brocade and Cisco Catalyst gear... more 100/1000 Mb/sec copper as well as Fiber than I'd ever want to have to untangle on a dark weekend night! I used to think that DLINK gear was better than the cheaper Linksys gear and as we also have over 3,000 el-cheapo Linksys wireless routers for student WiFi access - I wanted to buy something a little better than that for my home..... Well, what a mistake that was.

#5. I also run a weather station at home for the MADIS network (Meteorological Assimilation Data Ingest System), co-funded by NASA that uploads to the Internet 24x7x365 ... my home network really does need to be operational ALL THE TIME.

I am nearly at the end of my patience with this router.

I don't want to start a flame war, but if you are not a support staff member at DLINK, and cannot come up with a better list of things to suggest, apart from turning off all the basic features of a router - like DHCP which by the way is already off here, I have been using static IP's for ages now - then please don't. as before, READ THE OLDER THREADS - we have all tried all the things you had suggested and they don't work; my view is rapidly becoming that this device is unfit for the market place.

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 06:48:42 AM »

Here is my latest solution to all this:

1) Reverted to Firmware 1.04 from 1.05

2) Gave DHCP reservations to my main PC (where the router is) and to the other two in the house using wireless.  Each reservation required a router reset (Save Changes) - and the reservations appeared in the list - I used IP 192.168.0.100 for the main PC and 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102 for the two wireless ones plus Mac addresses.

3) Changed the DHCP lease time from 180 to 9999.

So far so good; but we are just at 24 hours of up-time.

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »

Russell,

#1. Are you a DLINK employee?

#2. I take issue with your remarks about there being no widespread known issue. Quite unelated to my problem (a few months latter on, different batch, different retailer, different town), a friend tried to install another one of these routers at his apartment. Network Stumbler on my laptop shows that there were three other WiFi nets active in the area. All had different channels to the one we chose, he had a fixed IP, he used a variety of different encryption (thinking that might have been the problem), his router did the same as mine. He took it back to the store - to discover it was the third one the retailer had back from ticked-off users that week FOR THE SAME REASON.

#3. All your suggestions are ones we tried here on this forum... READ THE OLDER MESSAGES!

#4. I am a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator), a SCSA (Sun Certified System Administrator), and a SCNA (Sun Certified Network Administrator) and for a living I administer a network with about 100 Unix and PC servers on it. I work in a University where we have a bunch of Brocade and Cisco Catalyst gear... more 100/1000 Mb/sec copper as well as Fiber than I'd ever want to have to untangle on a dark weekend night! I used to think that DLINK gear was better than the cheaper Linksys gear and as we also have over 3,000 el-cheapo Linksys wireless routers for student WiFi access - I wanted to buy something a little better than that for my home..... Well, what a mistake that was.

#5. I also run a weather station at home for the MADIS network (Meteorological Assimilation Data Ingest System), co-funded by NASA that uploads to the Internet 24x7x365 ... my home network really does need to be operational ALL THE TIME.

I am nearly at the end of my patience with this router.

I don't want to start a flame war, but if you are not a support staff member at DLINK, and cannot come up with a better list of things to suggest, apart from turning off all the basic features of a router - like DHCP which by the way is already off here, I have been using static IP's for ages now - then please don't. as before, READ THE OLDER THREADS - we have all tried all the things you had suggested and they don't work; my view is rapidly becoming that this device is unfit for the market place.

So all that IMPORTANT equipment and you use the LOWEST end hardware Dlink has to offer in the home class line?
I would think that a CCNA and SCSA would know better then to rely on HOME CLASS gateway device as a mission critical hardware.
Insulting people and brandishing certifications doens't impress anyone.

If the hardware is not operating in the manner that you desire return it.

As for reading older messages, have you seen the number of posts on this forum? Do you know how long it would take if every time someone needed to post to something people had to re-read an entire thread because you feel you shouldn't have to repeat yourself?

In the end it's YOU that needs help. In the future, when someone offers to help you, simply be polite and explain that you've tried those things and move on. Insulting the product and smashing people in the face with certs is a fast path to no where.

LOL Nasa is so hardup that they can't afford anything better then a WBR-2310?

Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »

LOL Nasa is so hardup that they can't afford anything better then a WBR-2310?

I did say that I was not looking for a flame war, but you replying with that kind of comment really does not do anything to HELP anyone, now does it?

Just look at:  http://madis.noaa.gov/

I'll overlook your other comments.

The problem I have is that this router has not worked according to spec since I purchased it. I like to TRY and see problems through to resolution, and in my case (where I spend my own cash on equipment) it is kind of satisfying to resolve problems... my motivation is to get something that should work, up and running with all the advertised features functional - for more than a few days at a time. This would help DLINK as well as me...

If you guys are not really into that, well.... Linksys here I come.

Megabite

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 09:47:51 PM »

From what I've heard/dealt with this particular router and firmware there is no known issue that is wide-spread. I'm not trying to down play your issue as I really would like to help you though.

Hi Russell,

I'm not sure what considered as being "wide-spread" over at D-Link HQ, but I believe that with as many people here posting about the exact same issue that just maybe, statistically speaking, many other people who don't post, do not know how to post, do not care to spend time posting, return the product immediately, or who simply drop the router off of their 5th floor apartment balcony and buy an Asus router instead because it's too light to use as an effective doorstop, it may be more than just a single anomaly or two.

With that said, I really do like the feature set and design of this router and I have recommended it to many friends, family and business clients, however, most of them are complaining to me that their routers (WBR-2310) are having issues as have been mentioned in the many previous posts.  This:

#1 Makes me look st*pid for recommending this router.
#2 Costs me time & money (when I have to drive out to some place to fix it)
#3 Frustrates me (and everyone else here) that we have been waiting for months (years?) to have a stable WBR-2310(amazingly loyal customer base who is even offering to help you (D-LINK) to fix D-LINKS' problems.

I think that all we want is this router to meet (not even exceed) basic (advertised?) standards:

#1 It is stable
#2 Its features work they way they should (like the Wireless).

You mention that you would like to help us. People on this post have offered to help D-Link in fixing this router.  Help us by letting us HELP YOU.  Give us something to work with.  Maybe the source code, more beta firmware, ways to hack the firmware, something..

If you really want to help, do something.  Give us contact info to someone higher up, or regular updates on issues being worked on, or give us some better diagnostics tools, or ways to load custom firmware (if possible). 

People on this forum are not st*pid or d*mb (like me for recommending this router).  They are very intelligent, willing and capable to HELP D-LINK with this router.  Don't give us random switches to change on the router that we already have tried.  Either you are just trying to waste our collective time, or the features are BROKEN on this router and NEED TO BE FIXED.

My patience with this router is down to the wire here, and I don't think I'm alone (or am I?). 

I will personally work with D-Link in my own IT lab, ON MY OWN TIME, to resolve this issue FOR FREE.

Cheers

*=u
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 08:03:29 AM by Megabite »

miamifootball

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 07:26:01 AM »

So yea.. I lurk alot. My company has over 12 of these models. I'm running 1.05 with no issue what-so-ever. I've heard of no complaints the past 3-4 weeks or so.

I imagine they're looking into it. I'll refrain from giving my advice since you vultures like to take it out on people trying to help you. So with that, good luck :).

I'll continue to lurk now. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3