• April 18, 2024, 11:46:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Network access after restart problem and uPnP keeps discovering problem  (Read 21733 times)

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
Re: Network access after restart problem and uPnP keeps discovering problem
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »

imageshack.com (i think) you can post images there to share for everyone to see

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »

In the thread 'right hard drive indicator is purple, do i worry?' aglio posted an image; how did he do it ???

imageshack.com (i think) you can post images there to share for everyone to see

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:47 AM »

aglio is hosting the image of a different server and his post contains a link to that server - you should be able to achieve the same thing with image shack
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Roli

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »

Rodent wrote

IP Address:  10.x.x.250
Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address:  10.x.x.254
DNS1: 10.x.x.254
DNS2: 10.x.x.254

When setup with my gateway address web pages are fine but I have the rebooting of the DNS-323 problem again.

Try changing your DNS1 & 2 to different settings as they appear to be the same as your Gateway Address eg;
DNS1: 10.x.x.256
DNS2: 10.x.x.257 or something similar

Rich

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »

Rodent wrote

IP Address:  10.x.x.250
Gateway IP Address:  10.x.x.254
DNS1: 10.x.x.254
DNS2: 10.x.x.254

When setup with my gateway address web pages are fine but I have the rebooting of the DNS-323 problem again.

Try changing your DNS1 & 2 to different settings as they appear to be the same as your Gateway Address eg;
DNS1: 10.x.x.256
DNS2: 10.x.x.257 or something similar

Rich

Out of curiosity - how did you arrive at 10.x.x.256 or 10.x.x.257 - are you sufficiently familiar with the network that you know the addresses of the DNS servers?

There is nothing wrong with the DNS settings being the same as the default gateway - in fact - it is very common with consumer routers to have the router act as a DNS forwarder, in which case the DNS server setting WILL be the same as the default gateway.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »

Correct, My router is the only address I can use beside the wan DNS addresses, I do not know why when I configure the DNS-323 with the wan DNS addresses I have so much trouble with network access to web pages, DNS-323 web pages etc.

Here is a picture of my network:

Out of curiosity - how did you arrive at 10.x.x.256 or 10.x.x.257 - are you sufficiently familiar with the network that you know the addresses of the DNS servers?

There is nothing wrong with the DNS settings being the same as the default gateway - in fact - it is very common with consumer routers to have the router act as a DNS forwarder, in which case the DNS server setting WILL be the same as the default gateway.

Roli

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Fordem Wrote

I am NOT sufficently familiar with anything networking - but I have been having the same problem with my DNS 323 since xmas and since I (probably) stumbled accross a way to fix my problems, I thought I would share it with Rodent - Simple as that

This was my setup

IP Address:  192.168.0.xxx
Gateway IP Address:  192.168.0.x
Mac Address:  00:1C:F0:0A:98:9B
DNS1:  220.101.191.xx
DNS2:  220.101.191.xx - these are the same as my wan DNS settings so when I changed them to the 192.168.0.xx range  it all works fine even after a reboot it all shows up under my networks - so at last all is well

And when I changed DNS1 & 2 to the 192.168.0.xx range (where xx are say 30 & 31) it worked

Rich

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 04:57:33 AM »

Roli

The DNS settings on the DNS-323 are there so that the device can use DNS - domain name services - to locate any other device that is required, for example an ntp (network time protocol) server - if there is no DNS server at the ip address you specify, you might as well leave it blank.

Just in case you hadn't noticed - the details that you provide for your network don't match the scenario that Rodent listed - specifically your DNS settings point to a public DNS server, probably that of your ISP - whilst his point to his router - which as I have said already is perfectly normal

kdm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »

I have exactly the same problem as Rodent when restarting the DNS-323 and can only get network access to it by doing as Rodent suggested in his original post ("go into the web configuration > click on Advanced > Network Access > edit one of the shares and apply, no changes need to be made").

My router is the DIR-655 and the network settings of the DNS-323 are:

Static IP
IP Address:  192.168.0.199
Gateway IP Address:  192.168.0.1
DNS1: 192.168.0.1
DNS2:

It isn't a huge problem for me now I know the fix as I don't turn the DNS-323 off often but there does appear to be a bug that needs fixing.  My DNS-323 is on firmware 1.03 still.

Roli

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »

Fordem,

IP Address:  192.168.0.160 = Router
Gateway IP Address:  192.168.0.1 = Router
DNS1:  192.168.0.16 = Router
DNS2:  192.168.0.17 = Router

Just in case you hadn't noticed - the details that you provide for your network don't match the scenario that Rodent listed - specifically your DNS settings point to a public DNS server, probably that of your ISP - whilst his point to his router - which as I have said already is perfectly normal

Those above are the static settings that worked = Router

The 220.101.191.xx ones are my ISP ones and with them there it would not work on reboot - Thats why I changed them!!

Out of curiosity I dropped the DNS alltogether as you suggested done a reboot and it worked perfectly  as you suggested.

The only other thing I changed the day I got it to work was to go to Device settings and put in a Workgroup name = workgroup the same as my computers.

To test this I went back and changed the Workgroup name to BLOGGS - rebooted and went into my network places - and the NAS did NOT show up at all - changed it back to WORKGROUP  and it shows up under my network places.

The interesting thing was that when I put a shortcut to volume_1 on my desktop it did not matter what workgroup name I used, the shortcut still worked - but just did not show up under my network places if I did not use the workgroup name that matched my computers.

ps: I am not being argumentative about this I am just trying to understand what I done to get it working

Rich

maqser

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »

Have the same problem. I have assigned static IP to DNS-323, this didn't resolve problem. After rebooting DNS I have to go to admin page and click 'apply' in the 'network access' page.
Is D-link going to fix this ?

And please remove 'UPnP AV SERVER' in the next firmware update - this likeness of DLNA is annoying.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member

This is an old post but since I started it I mite as well post my fix.

I have upgraded my firmware from 1.04 to 1.08 and this problem is now resolved.

R.

rector

• Level 2 Member

This is an old post but since I started it I mite as well post my fix.

I have upgraded my firmware from 1.04 to 1.08 and this problem is now resolved.

R.

I had your problem even with firmware 1.08. This fixed mine
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13256.msg78153#msg78153

Rodent

• Level 3 Member

I had your problem even with firmware 1.08. This fixed mine
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13256.msg78153#msg78153

Thanks, I've been following your post but your issue and mine are different, I have never had a problem seeing my DNS323 on my network and a small local home network should not need the use of hosts files, but if it helps you than thats fantastic.

I had this problem of not being able to access shares until I re-saved one share in the configuration with firmware 1.03 and 1.04 but since 1.08 the problem has gone away.

I just hope the problem does not come back with future firmwares...

R.
Pages: 1 [2]