• April 17, 2024, 09:36:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-920 Remote access issue  (Read 11551 times)

WorldsAway

• Level 1 Member
DCS-920 Remote access issue
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »

Hello, I'm not very web savy, so please bare with me. I have my DCS 920 hooked up to my wireless network at home. When I enter the IP address for the camera on my home computer it pulls up the D-link screen with the access password and I can view the video fine.

When I try to access the camera from my work computer (windows explorer) by entering the same IP address (http://192.168.1.100), I get "the page cannot be displayed" error. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... I have a Linksys router on my home network if that helps...

Any help is appreciated...

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
Re: DCS-920 Remote access issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:29:17 AM »

You will need to do a little bit more to be able to display the camera from a remote location. The IP-address you mention is for the local network only, and is not related to how your network is visible in the 'outside' world.

Setting this up is documented in the Manual/UserGuide, and includes "DDNS" (or finding your current "outside" IP-address) and port-forwarding for the camera. It is not that complex, but does require a bit more understanding of what you are doing.

If you are not that well-versed in getting this set up, I would use big friend Google, and/or asking a more experienced person, as this process of setting it up is a bit too big for this forum. But please read the UserGuide and visit friend Google.

WorldsAway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »

Thanks for the help on this. I didn't get much of a user guide with the camera, and it doesn't include any of the information you mention. Is it an online user guide that I should look to?

Thanks!

kandm00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »

You can download the manual from D-Link's Support website.
The English install guide is here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dcs920/Manual/dcs920_manual_100.pdf
All files for the DCS-920 are here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dcs920/

danieliew

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »

Hope you don't mind me hopping on to this thread. I somehow managed to setup my DCS-920 so that I can log on even outside my home network. The only place where it does not work is in my office. It only provides a snapshot of the camera's latest image but when i click on video (both Java or ActiveX) nothing comes up, just a blank white screen. Whenever I refresh the page, the latest snapshot is shown, but no luck with video. I checked the Java console and it says "Err: Establish Image Connection". Is this due to the firewall in my office network? Or can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

Hope you don't mind me hopping on to this thread. I somehow managed to setup my DCS-920 so that I can log on even outside my home network. The only place where it does not work is in my office. It only provides a snapshot of the camera's latest image but when i click on video (both Java or ActiveX) nothing comes up, just a blank white screen. Whenever I refresh the page, the latest snapshot is shown, but no luck with video. I checked the Java console and it says "Err: Establish Image Connection". Is this due to the firewall in my office network? Or can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks in advance!

The firewall settings for your office will probably be more strict (and complex). Could be a limit on Java/ActiveX streams. Can you check with your company IT staff? Mostly they will need to lift some restrictions.

dlnahasc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »

On a related topic...

Trying to access my 920 outside my LAN.  I've got a DNS set-up with DynDNS (so the IP address thing is OK). But having difficulty with port forwarding.  Is there a specific port the the 920 is looking for?
My goal is to log-in remotely using something like: myDNSaddress.net:1234

Thanks!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

On a related topic...

Trying to access my 920 outside my LAN.  I've got a DNS set-up with DynDNS (so the IP address thing is OK). But having difficulty with port forwarding.  Is there a specific port the the 920 is looking for?
My goal is to log-in remotely using something like: myDNSaddress.net:1234

Thanks!

Set the secondary HTTP port to 1234 and create a port forwarding rule in the router for the IP address of the camera and forward port 1234.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream