• April 16, 2024, 09:30:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Self-assigned ip address on Mac Airport  (Read 13518 times)

deluzione

• Level 1 Member
Self-assigned ip address on Mac Airport
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »

I searched the forum, and found a similar topic on this (here), and followed a few steps, but I have a few other issues.

What I have:
MacBook 2.4GHz (Intel), running Mac OSX 10.5.8
iPhone with OS 3.0.1
Windows XP on a Celeron laptop
Windows Vista x64 on Intel Dual core
D-Link DIR 615, firmware version 3.01

What happens:
I bought the router about 2 months ago, after my previous router died. Everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago when my Mac stopped receiving a valid IP Address, so did my iPhone and my laptop (all wireless). The Vista pc is connected wired, and didn't have any trouble connecting, so I figure it's the wireless part that's messed up.
I've reset the system defaults on the router, no passwords, no nothing, just the out-of-the-box settings.
All my wireless devices receive a 169.254.x.x ip address. Sometimes (there's no specific time or thing I do), the wireless devices receive a 192.168.x.x address, which should be the case always.

Now, in my router settings, when I go to "Status > Wireless", the status says that my Mac and iPhone have a 192.168-address, my XP Laptop 0.0.0.0, but all of the devices show me a 169.254.x.x address.

What I've done:
from the topic mentioned earlier, I followed a few steps. These are the results:

when it drops can you...

ping your router?
ping your routers gateway?
ping 4.2.2.2?
ping google.com?
poppen-designs-macbook:~ poppendesign$ ping 4.2.2.2
PING 4.2.2.2 (4.2.2.2): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: Host is down

all other questions: no..

Also from the terminal could you tell me if you have an entry for your router when you run a "arp -a".
poppen-designs-macbook:~ poppendesign$ arp -a
? (17.151.16.21) at (incomplete) on en1 [ethernet]
? (169.254.255.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en1 [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en1 permanent [ethernet]

my apologies, I left something out that is a bit crucial to what we are trying to accomplish.  The reason the arp -d -a failed is because that requires super user privilege, which we will grant by performing the below steps instead.

sudo arp -d -a
(It should then ask for your password so that it can perform the arp -d -a with super user privilege [sudo stands for Super User DO])
ping -c 10 192.168.0.1
arp -a
poppen-designs-macbook:~ poppendesign$ sudo arp -d -a

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
poppen-designs-macbook:~ poppendesign$ ping -c 5 192.168.0.1
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
poppen-designs-macbook:~ poppendesign$ arp -a
? (17.151.16.21) at (incomplete) on en1 [ethernet]
? (69.63.186.31) at (incomplete) on en1 [ethernet]
? (72.14.213.83) at (incomplete) on en1 [ethernet]
? (169.254.255.255) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en1 [ethernet]
? (192.168.0.1) at (incomplete) on en1 [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en1 permanent [ethernet]
poppen-designs-macbook:~ poppendesign$

so, yeah... help? :)

deluzione

• Level 1 Member
Re: Self-assigned ip address on Mac Airport
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

Interesting.. The admin of my router said that the firmware was up to dat, but after browsing the d-link website some more, I found a newer version of the firmware. Ok, that might not be interesting, but after the upgrade, i STILL get the self-assigned ip's.
In the admin, under "Status > Wireless", now all devices have 0.0.0.0 as ip.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:46:22 AM by deluzione »

deluzione

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »

All of a sudden, all my devices are working again. I added my Mac to the DHCP Reservation list in the router-admin (just the Mac, nothing else) and all my devices received an IP. Now, I don't know if this is coincidence, or if this actually did something, but for now it works. I'll keep you posted on how long it works (I'm not getting any hopes up).

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »

No idea whether this post has anything to do with your problem, but it's interesting how many others found it solved things for them. FWIW, I've found my Macs don't play well with external DHCP servers. I always give them a static IP address for my home network. I create a separate "roaming" location or just use the default automatic network prefs for public DHCP servers.

deluzione

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »

I went to the store and exchanged it for a new one. I haven't connected the new one yet, but I'll keep you posted if the exchanged worked :)

deluzione

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »

I exchanged it for a new DIR-615, and guess what? Same problem! It worked fine for a day (I hooked it up right after I posted my previous post), and when I opened up my Mac and tried to connect with my iPhone this evening, I got the 169.254-ip's again. I have my old Belkin connected now, and it works like a charm (except the fact that it has an argument with the WAN). Anyway, the D-Link issue is very frustrating, to say the least. I'm at the point to go back to the store, drop off the router and ask for my money back or buy a Linksys..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:17:33 PM by deluzione »

stonetownmike

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:39:33 AM »

This is a known problem with Macs running OS 10.5. The simple solution is to give your Mac a fixed IP address instead of using DHCP. Are you using the same network settings that you did for the old router? You should trash them and set up new ones. Other things you might try: Boot your Mac in "safe mode" (hold down the shift key while booting), then reboot it normally. That has worked for some users. You can also try repairing your connection with the Network Diagnostics.app found in /System/Library/CoreServices/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:09:44 AM by stonetownmike »

deluzione

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

Thing is: It's not just my Mac. My iPhone and Windows XP-pc are getting these ip's as well. I just planted the router, did nothing to the settings (out of the box), settings worked for about a day, and after that.. nothing.

savalou

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »

I'm experiencing a similar self-assigned address issue on a client machine and 0.0.0.0 listed as the IP addresses for all clients in the routers Status->Wireless page.  Funnily enough for me, my iMac with a Airport Extreme (N compatible), my Powerbook (with G card) and AirTunes (G compatible) all work fine, it's just the Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with a G card that keeps dropping off.  My router hardware Rev. C1 and firmware 3.01, that's another thing, it refuses to upgrade to 3.11NA.

chris_cesar

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:43:27 AM »

I'm experiencing a similar self-assigned address issue on a client machine and 0.0.0.0 listed as the IP addresses for all clients in the routers Status->Wireless page.  Funnily enough for me, my iMac with a Airport Extreme (N compatible), my Powerbook (with G card) and AirTunes (G compatible) all work fine, it's just the Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with a G card that keeps dropping off.  My router hardware Rev. C1 and firmware 3.01, that's another thing, it refuses to upgrade to 3.11NA.

The firmware is zip you need to unzipped it first and you need to upload only the .bin file.

savalou

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »

You're correct, chris_cesar, that is what I did, I unzipped the file and tried to upload the .bin file to the router, and it refused.  At which point I came and complained about it in this forum.