• March 28, 2024, 12:50:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR 857 support for NTFS  (Read 28840 times)

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
DIR 857 support for NTFS
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »

I bought this router a week back. I attached a 1TB WD My Passport Elite HDD which is NTFS formatted. When I started the Shareport Plus, I could see the router (may be because it is a DLNA certified equipment) but could not see the attached hdd. I am not sure, why the HDD is not detected by the Dlink Shareport plus utility? Does this have to do anything with Firewall? And If I opened a port 19540 port on my N360, will this solve this problem? I am afraid of opening any ports on my firewalls. What I don't like is....If these ports are required for connecting the HDD, then why Norton is not keeping it open? Why should that be left on users? Not everyone is aware how to open ports and what vulnerabilities are creeping in because of that.

Also I use this router to wirlessly connect to my Laptop, which houses the Dell Wireless 802.11n 1505 Mini adaptor (although dual band capable, I use it with 5GHz. frequency) and it was connecting good. Although the throughput will show 3 bars, which means the signal strength is not soo good, even in the room next to the router, the speed of 162 Mbits/sec. is what I used to get. 2 days back, Windows prompted me to use update related to the above Dell Wireless adaptor,  I updated it and boom....the speed went down to 54MBits/sec. and I have no clue, how to fix it.  First of all, the speed of 450MBits/Sec. is far from realized, I don't even get a 300 MBPS. Can someone help me in
1. getting to the highest possible speed on this router?

2. does this router support NTFS formatted drive?

3. what fixes are required  so that the shareport plus works Whit this router and the existing HDD?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR 857 support for NTFS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »

I bought this router a week back. I attached a 1TB WD My Passport Elite HDD which is NTFS formatted. When I started the Shareport Plus, I could see the router (may be because it is a DLNA certified equipment) but could not see the attached hdd. I am not sure, why the HDD is not detected by the Dlink Shareport plus utility? Does this have to do anything with Firewall? And If I opened a port 19540 port on my N360, will this solve this problem? I am afraid of opening any ports on my firewalls. What I don't like is....If these ports are required for connecting the HDD, then why Norton is not keeping it open? Why should that be left on users? Not everyone is aware how to open ports and what vulnerabilities are creeping in because of that.
No firewall or port forwarding is needed when using SP. Those don't effect the SP connected devices.

Also I use this router to wirlessly connect to my Laptop, which houses the Dell Wireless 802.11n 1505 Mini adaptor (although dual band capable, I use it with 5GHz. frequency) and it was connecting good. Although the throughput will show 3 bars, which means the signal strength is not soo good, even in the room next to the router, the speed of 162 Mbits/sec. is what I used to get. 2 days back, Windows prompted me to use update related to the above Dell Wireless adaptor,  I updated it and boom....the speed went down to 54MBits/sec. and I have no clue, how to fix it.  First of all, the speed of 450MBits/Sec. is far from realized, I don't even get a 300 MBPS. Can someone help me in
I might remove or roll back to the older drivers.

1. getting to the highest possible speed on this router?
Does your wireless adapter support 450Mb wireless connections speeds?
Try single mode N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz? What do you get with these settings?
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

2. does this router support NTFS formatted drive?
It does.

3. what fixes are required  so that the shareport plus works Whit this router and the existing HDD?
What is the physical size of your HDD? Not logical.

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:39:30 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »

Thanks FurryNutz for your reply.

I deleted the driver and Windows reinstalled a fresh new driver. That now gives me 162 Mbits/sec. So that is okay now. I checked the speed, which is now 23 Mbps down and 2.4 up which matches my ISP plan. (25 up and 2.5 down). I tested Ping and it works fine.

I am not sure, how to check the capability of the wireless adaptor. So if you may suggest some way to test that, I can do it and reply to your question.

When you say single mode N on 2.4 and 5.0 GHz, do you mean these settings on the router or the computer adaptor properties?

My current channel selection is 11 on the adaptor and "auto" in the router.

My adaptor does support WPA personal and AES cipher and so it is set at that. However, it does not support WPA2. So moment, I change it to WPA2, 5 GHz. broadcasting stops. So then I am forced to use 2.4 GHz. band.

On 2.4 GHz, I have ipods, iphones, windows laptop, TV, BDP, Gaming console and a Network Attached Storage and
On 5.0 GHz, I have a windows laptop, Apple TV, Magicjack Pro and the new Ipad.

There are 4 cordless house phones running, 1 on 5GHz and 3 on DET6.0.

There are appx. 5 routers running in the close neighbourhood. How does this affect, because they will always be there?

WISH and WPS are turned off and Short GI turned off at this request. What difference do we expect so that I can monitor.

MY ISP is cable and the router is a stand alone and it is a Motorola make.
It is 1 TB, as I have mentioned in the post.

I hope you now have suggestions for me to improve throughput and more importantly, a way to get my HDD connected through shareport plus.

The two major problems for which I am here are :

1. The shareport plus does not detect the HDD connected to my router

2. Low throughput on 5GHz band.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »

Thanks FurryNutz for your reply.

I deleted the driver and Windows reinstalled a fresh new driver. That now gives me 162 Mbits/sec. So that is okay now. I checked the speed, which is now 23 Mbps down and 2.4 up which matches my ISP plan. (25 up and 2.5 down). I tested Ping and it works fine. Good its working for you.

I am not sure, how to check the capability of the wireless adaptor. So if you may suggest some way to test that, I can do it and reply to your question. I would check out the Mfr of the WiFi adapter to see what the capabilities are and what modes and frequencies it supports.

When you say single mode N on 2.4 and 5.0 GHz, do you mean these settings on the router or the computer adaptor properties? On the router.

My current channel selection is 11 on the adaptor and "auto" in the router.

My adaptor does support WPA personal and AES cipher and so it is set at that. However, it does not support WPA2. So moment, I change it to WPA2, 5 GHz. broadcasting stops. So then I am forced to use 2.4 GHz. band.
Seems like your wireless adapter is only supporting 2.4Ghz. Can you change from WPA to WPA2 and AES only and does the WiFi adatper work on 2.4Ghz?

On 2.4 GHz, I have ipods, iphones, windows laptop, TV, BDP, Gaming console and a Network Attached Storage and
On 5.0 GHz, I have a windows laptop, Apple TV, Magicjack Pro and the new Ipad.

There are 4 cordless house phones running, 1 on 5GHz and 3 on DET6.0.

There are appx. 5 routers running in the close neighbourhood. How does this affect, because they will always be there?
This can, depending on if they are using the same channel. You can set a manual channel if needed if you notice the wireless is acting up. This is due to one of the other routers working on the same channel as you.

WISH and WPS are turned off and Short GI turned off at this request. What difference do we expect so that I can monitor.

MY ISP is cable and the router is a stand alone and it is a Motorola make.
It is 1 TB, as I have mentioned in the post.

I hope you now have suggestions for me to improve throughput and more importantly, a way to get my HDD connected through shareport plus.

The two major problems for which I am here are :

What version of shareport software are you using? Try the version on the DIR-835 web site.
2. Low throughput on 5GHz band. Need to be in the same room or in line of site between the router and device when using 5Ghz. 5Ghz is susceptible to building materials, walls and doors. Nature of the beast with 5Ghz.

[/quote]
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ember

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »

1. 163Mbps is good enough. Halve your expectation, since no 802.11n device ever performed more than half speed as they nominaled.

2. Try to get rid of the WD backup/encryption partitions on your HDD, they are just useless. Do it with windows disk management or with a 3rd party tool such as diskgenius http://www.diskgenius.net/download.html.

3. DLNA indexing problem is not solved in firmware. Dont use it now only if all your files in your HDD is DLNA supported. Unsupported file type may interrupt the indexing.

4 .NTFS attached disks has only half transfer speed compared with FAT32 disks. Consider which do you need——faster speed
or better compatibility.

5. If you want to check your card chip: Device management——right click on your card——Details——in the dropdown list choose“Hardware ID”——copy the shortest ID——google it

6. DIR857 has two AR9380 cards for 2.4/5G, so if you need a best performance you should buy a AR9380 PCIE card for you dell, which costs $20. Two same card on the router and you computer will have a good performance.
Remember your laptop may only support low profile mini-card (space limit). A normal size AR9380 card is better and cheaper, but usually only MAC designed enough room for it.

I have an AR9380 and experienced above 25+MBps when transfering file from my wireless laptop with a wired 1G card computer. Which means 200+Mbps wireless speed. When transtering with router attached FAT32 disk, the speed fall to 9MBPS.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:57:25 AM by ember »

HS-1971

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »

This is brilliant, thanks to your suggestion (No.2). I tried the Partition guru free download and deleted the primary partition on my WD Passport 500GB external drive then created a new partition and formatted it NTFS and now the drive can be seen by the Share Port utility when connected to the router USB port.

It seems the issue is related to the WD drive original partition, now it works as it should. Thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »

Any can have a look at this for review:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=45079.0

Glad you got your drive going HS. Enjoy.

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »

@ FurryNutz :
What version of shareport software are you using? Try the version on the DIR-835 web site.

Isn't it funny though....the version on DIR - 835 is 4.11 and is released on Feb. 29, 2012 and the version listed under DIR-857 is 4.0 and is released on March 3, 2012. I fail to understand how Dlink's revision control is managed. But the good news is : you are right, the one on DIR-835 page worked for me. But only with USB sticks both NTFS and FAT32 formats. So it is not absolutely necessary to have the disk formatted to NTFS but SD card, I will have to see. Because the one that I use in my canon DSLR, I inserted in DIR- 857, it did not detect. So for a trial, I will format one in NTFS and then try to use it and see what happens... Thanks for sharing that tip on formatting the SD card. However, with the WD disk, I have deleted the partition before and formatted to NTFS and reloaded the software files, but the HDD did not get detected. I am not sure, if USB 3.0 is the issue. but this router does support USB 3.0, so I am not sure, what the issue is. Will keep you posted.

2. Low throughput on 5GHz band. Need to be in the same room or in line of site between the router and device when using 5Ghz. 5Ghz is susceptible to building materials, walls and doors. Nature of the beast with 5Ghz.
Yes, I completely understand where you are coming from, I use the analogy of pipe flow to explain this.....bigger diameter. but low velocity and so so it can even carry bigger rocks but not too far. By big rocks I mean full HD or better content rich in data.....Whereas 2.4 GHz is the one with high velocity but the diameter is small and so it can carry small rocks but can travel farther...so is good for general applications, like surfing or emailing and other less data intensive applications.....and that's why I have to have both,  5 GHz for steaming videos and movies and 2.4 GHz for emailing and surfing and so far DIR-857 has not disappointed me. Previously I had DIR-827 but that went down and so I upgraded to DIR-857. I even tried Apple Airport extreme but  since it does not support NTFS it went back otherwise that beast is also solid. I wanted to try Cisco EA 4500 but it does not support USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt is yet to come in peripherals, so I chose DIR 857, reluctantly of course after that experience of DIR-827, I was not ready to go with Dlink .

Dlink issue is always with Shareport. In prev. versions of Share port it did not support HDD or NAS now it says it does and it also supports DLNA. I am able to stream music and photos from USB stick from the router to my Sony TV. So DLNA is not an issue but the WD HDD was never detected in any version of SP. It is an opportunity for Dlink to look into this and fix it. Anyways, I will keep you posted with the outcome.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »

@ FurryNutz :

Isn't it funny though....the version on DIR - 835 is 4.11 and is released on Feb. 29, 2012 and the version listed under DIR-857 is 4.0 and is released on March 3, 2012. I fail to understand how Dlink's revision control is managed. But the good news is : you are right, the one on DIR-835 page worked for me. But only with USB sticks both NTFS and FAT32 formats. So it is not absolutely necessary to have the disk formatted to NTFS but SD card, I will have to see. Because the one that I use in my canon DSLR, I inserted in DIR- 857, it did not detect. So for a trial, I will format one in NTFS and then try to use it and see what happens... Thanks for sharing that tip on formatting the SD card. However, with the WD disk, I have deleted the partition before and formatted to NTFS and reloaded the software files, but the HDD did not get detected. I am not sure, if USB 3.0 is the issue. but this router does support USB 3.0, so I am not sure, what the issue is. Will keep you posted.
Yes, I know, it hard to figure out why some routers have earlier version of SP and newer ones have the latest. Not sure if DLink is trying to maintain version with specific models or what. It seems like that later version of SP works mostly across all model router, mostly.  :-\ I wish there was a central place for SP downloads instead of having different places to go.  >:(

Yes, I completely understand where you are coming from, I use the analogy of pipe flow to explain this.....bigger diameter. but low velocity and so so it can even carry bigger rocks but not too far. By big rocks I mean full HD or better content rich in data.....Whereas 2.4 GHz is the one with high velocity but the diameter is small and so it can carry small rocks but can travel farther...so is good for general applications, like surfing or emailing and other less data intensive applications.....and that's why I have to have both,  5 GHz for steaming videos and movies and 2.4 GHz for emailing and surfing and so far DIR-857 has not disappointed me. Previously I had DIR-827 but that went down and so I upgraded to DIR-857. I even tried Apple Airport extreme but  since it does not support NTFS it went back otherwise that beast is also solid. I wanted to try Cisco EA 4500 but it does not support USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt is yet to come in peripherals, so I chose DIR 857, reluctantly of course after that experience of DIR-827, I was not ready to go with Dlink .
What experiences were you having with the 827?

Dlink issue is always with Shareport. In prev. versions of Share port it did not support HDD or NAS now it says it does and it also supports DLNA. I am able to stream music and photos from USB stick from the router to my Sony TV. So DLNA is not an issue but the WD HDD was never detected in any version of SP. It is an opportunity for Dlink to look into this and fix it. Anyways, I will keep you posted with the outcome.
Someone mentioned either in this forum or the 827 or 645 that on some WD USB drives, they put there specific NTFS formatting on the drive that maybe incompatible with SP. So you fully need to blow away the formatting on the drive using Windows and put a clean format on the drive. See if this WD drive has this. I know my WD 2TB My Mirror from 2007 might have this however not sure. SO far it's been connecting fine on the occasion I've had to test it for users here on the fourms.

Let us know.

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

1. 163Mbps is good enough. Halve your expectation, since no 802.11n device ever performed more than half speed as they nominaled.

Thanks ember, it even works at 216 at times and goes as low as 54 MBps. But I checked the speed and other ping data on speedtest. net and pingtest.net and it is ranked excellent so I can live with this.  :)

2. Try to get rid of the WD backup/encryption partitions on your HDD, they are just useless. Do it with windows disk management or with a 3rd party tool such as diskgenius http://www.diskgenius.net/download.html.

I used the disk management feature of the windows 7 and formatted it. Will see if it works or not, otherwise, I will use this diskguru thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. DLNA indexing problem is not solved in firmware. Dont use it now only if all your files in your HDD is DLNA supported. Unsupported file type may interrupt the indexing.

Did not quite understand what you mean.

4 .NTFS attached disks has only half transfer speed compared with FAT32 disks. Consider which do you need——faster speed
or better compatibility.

The advantage is that you are not limited by the file size. I make videos in HD and so  for that need bigger size files to transfer to HDD and so NTFS is best or me. Slower Speed transfer I can live with.

BTW, is there any file format that can support both? I mean higher speed and no limitation of file size.

5. If you want to check your card chip: Device management——right click on your card——Details——in the dropdown list choose“Hardware ID”——copy the shortest ID——google it

I have yet to try this, but I am aware that it supports Dual band, I talked to Dell guys and they confirmed to me.

6. DIR857 has two AR9380 cards for 2.4/5G, so if you need a best performance you should buy a AR9380 PCIE card for you dell, which costs $20. Two same card on the router and you computer will have a good performance.

Good suggestion, I can try that, if need be. I will remember this.

Remember your laptop may only support low profile mini-card (space limit). A normal size AR9380 card is better and cheaper, but usually only MAC designed enough room for it.

I have an AR9380 and experienced above 25+MBps when transferring file from my wireless laptop with a wired 1G card computer. Which means 200+Mbps wireless speed. When transferring with router attached FAT32 disk, the speed fall to 9MBPS.

I appreciate the knowledge sharing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:46:22 AM by FurryNutz »

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

@FurryNutz, the DIR -827 did not work well, so I got a replacement through RMA and even that conked down in a 6M time and then they refused to change it because it was not in warranty. The power LED remains amber only and the Dlink tech. guys told me that it is not possible to fix it. They even issued an RMA, but the RMA declined it and I am like, big deal? Fine. I will never buy a Dlink again. But at this time, there are only few routers with the concurrent technologies. Like Airport does not support NTFS, EA 4500 is cloud compatible but does not have USB 3.0 and I am like....why these manufacturers are playing with consumers? And Dlink has USB 3.0 it does not have a cloud or NAS support but it has SP,so thought I can use that feature and also DLNA....so I had to reluctantly chose Dlink because I was not sure what quality the new router will be? But so far I had only Dlink routers only like DIR -625, 827 and now 857 and I also have a Dlink Bridge DAP1522. And the cards that Dlink uses are made by Cisco...so I thought why not try the "source / native" instead of "conditioned" hardware. But because of the limitations as I mentioned above, I could not put my hand on to it. DAP 1522 works good, DIR - 625 works good as well but you know, it does not support 5.0 GHz, so no good for streaming but for 2.4 it is robust...and connects good.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »

Have you check this out for cloud? New DIR-865L CLoud Router

Do you still have the 827? Did you call back with tech support and tell them that the RMA was declined for some reason? You might be able to get it replaced at least if you have it.

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »

I still have it. I called the tech. support back and it was denied again. Finally I gave up. Those guys have their policies to follow but when a customer is in troubles, common sense and customer care rules. A happy customer will bring another customer...word of mouth is very powerful.....and we all have experienced that....but they treated me like as I am someone trying to steal something from them and so I gave up.

I have not seen this 865L in Canada. I will recheck. Thanks for the info.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »

Any chance you spoke to level 2 or 3 support.?

Which you were in the U.S. I could have check that router out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:24:05 AM by FurryNutz »

ember

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

Did not quite understand what you mean.

A DLNA certified device should list all DLNA supported format files (MP3, MP4, eg.) and just ingore all the other format files ( MKV, RMVB, eg.). But when 857 has detected a unsupported file, it will immediately stop indexing anything and ingroe every rest file, regardless of what format they are. So you should only use samba until d-link fix this.

or better compatibility.

The advantage is that you are not limited by the file size. I make videos in HD and so  for that need bigger size files to transfer to HDD and so NTFS is best or me. Slower Speed transfer I can live with.

BTW, is there any file format that can support both? I mean higher speed and no limitation of file size.

As I tested, no. I rebuild a 160G disk into several partitions—— EXT3, EXT4 and HFS, none of them can be seen in shareport. It's not a complete test because if the 1st partition is not recognized, the router may not check the rest two. You can make a compete test if you want.
And in the official DIR857's manual/datasheet, only NTFS and FAT32 have been mentioned.

BTW, you should be careful if your HDD has a independent power supply. External power can be good for disk health because of its stability. But routers' USB ports have no overcurrent protection. If your HDD cartridge occur any improper discharging, the router's board may be demaged and this usually enormously weaken the wireless signal.

A proper way to use 857 is attaching your U-disk or 2.5inch HDD to it and sharing your music by DLNA. A 3.5inch HDD without extra power may not get very stable vollage and affect the disk's health, and a clean disk including only music files are easy to organize. If you have a lot of HD media files, get a NAS box for your HDDs will be much better.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:45:03 AM by ember »
Pages: [1] 2