The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-826L

iPhones Don't Work on DIR-836L

(1/4) > >>

deelinkuser:
If this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. I was unable to find a forum for the DIR-836L.

This router works great most of the time for my Mac & Windows computers, Chromecast, and Roku. However, if I ever want to use my iPhone 6s on this router (5 ghz or 2.4 ghz) I have to restart the router first, it will work for however long I am using the internet on the phone, then if I stop using it for a few minutes I will no longer be able to get internet.

It is seeing the wireless and saying it's connected, but it will not load any web pages and apps say there is no connection.

This phone works fine on the wifi I have at work.
Other devices work fine on this wireless router; it's only the iPhones that do not.
I toggle my wifi off then back on on the phones and/or switch between 5 ghz or 2.4 ghz, but only restarting the wireless router seems to do the trick.

I have posted on the Apple forums and they think there is nothing wrong with the phones.

How can I get this to work with iPhones?

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
* Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
* What region are you located?
What iOS is currently loaded on the iPhones?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy

* Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
* What wireless modes are you using?
* 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
* Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
* Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
* What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.

deelinkuser:
Thanks for the reply!

Here is my information:

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
     • H/W Ver.: A1
• What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
     • F/w Ver.: 1.02 2012/11/09 (There have not been any updates from when I bought it.)
• What region are you located?
     • Pennsylvania, United States

• What iOS is currently loaded on the iPhones?
     • iPhone 1: iOS 10.2
     • iPhone 2: iOS 10.1.1

Wireless Configurations
• Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
     • Yes. I pick a name, then end it with 24 or 5 suffix so I know which is which.
• What wireless modes are you using?
     • 2.4GHz: Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b
     • 5GHz: Mixed 802.11n and 802.11a
     • This was based on Apple’s recommended settings: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068
• 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
     • I just downgraded it to g/b for the 2.4GHz and n for 5GHz will try that for a bit.
• Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
     • Originally it was 20/40, then I changed it to 20 a month back when posting on Apple support forums, but it did not seem to help.
• Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
     • Sure, I can give that a go as well.
• What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
     • I have it set to WPA2 / AES (based on Apple’s recommendations for the devices)

FurryNutz:
Ok let us know know it goes using the lower modes and settings.

There is FW updates for this model router that you can try later on as well:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64375.0

deelinkuser:
I followed your suggestions, but I had no luck.

I've changed settings dozens of times, wiped back to factory, and changed them again based on suggestions from Apple Support and this forum.

At most I can get it to work more often for like a week, then it stops working at all, which makes no sense. Sometimes if I switch from the 2.4 to the 5 GHz or vice-versa I get a few minutes of internet, but that doesn't always work.

My Mac & PC computers work just fine with this router and my Android tablets work just fine with this router. Also, my iPhone works just fine on the WiFi at work.

For whatever reason, it's specifically iPhones (both of the ones I own) on this router that don't work. At this point I cannot tell if it is an issue with the phones or the router, so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version