• April 15, 2024, 10:15:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How stable is the 1.04 beta  (Read 9230 times)

ReVerb

• Level 1 Member
How stable is the 1.04 beta
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »

Well just installed my unit with 4 seagate 1.5 tb drives(ones that were on the list as approved) formated them into two RAID 1 arrays. ran it through my dir-655 router every thing was working fine for about 3 day when i was steaming and avi via cat5 to my tv after about 4 min the  vid froze then i lost the connecting went to check on the box the fans were on full the display was fine, went to reset it and it went into a shutdown loop so i pulled the plug to reset it this happened 3x out of 4 so im a bit pissed. the unit resets its self.
iv'e noticed im not alone with this problem so what i was wondering does the 1.04beta fix the problem or would i inherit a bunch more.

Need to fix this problem sooner than later, Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: How stable is the 1.04 beta
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »

Firmware version 1.04 does address the fan lockup issue.  Speaking from my own experience, one of my DNS-343s had the fan lock-up issue and firmware version 1.04 corrected the problem.  As far as stability is concerned, my second DNS-343 has been running with firmware version 1.04 for about 5 months now without issue.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ReVerb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »

Well i updated the firmware so far so good. thanks for the tip. I'll feel better after a month or so of problem free operation.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »

Well i updated the firmware so far so good. thanks for the tip. I'll feel better after a month or so of problem free operation.

That is precisely why I upgraded the firmware in my backup DNS-343 first and waited 4 months before upgrading my primary data NAS.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:20:12 AM by JavaLawyer »

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »

my second DNS-343 has been running with firmware version 1.04 for about 5 months now without issue.

Are you using the UPnP feature? If so, have you tried streaming or copying large video files (5GB or more)?

ReVerb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:24:12 AM »

yes I have enabled the UPnP server feature and have been streaming video from it. the largest file so far was about 2GB.

redant2u

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 05:55:11 AM »

Yep, looks like 1.4 is doing fine - have been running it on 2 separate LAN's and no funny stuff in the last 90 days to report.
one is a file server and one a MP3 server with video clips - all seems well. ;D

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »

That's great to hear but I use my 343 for streaming HD video. Files are always larger than 4.5GB and usually larger than 8GB. On 1.3 this hasn't been a problem but some of the comments in the beta code forum imply that it's going to be an issue on 1.4b

bigg3522

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »

I have problems with playing the files remotely (ie, playing my files from the unit on a PC).  It stutters a lot, doesn't matter if I use wireless N or wired connection, both give me tons of grief.  I think it's an issue with RAID itself, because this wasn't an issue on 1.3.  But why any of that would have changed I don't know.  I guess that's why DLink never released it as official, even though they've been working on it for over a year.  I doubt 1.4 will ever truly be released.

redtheman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »

I stream 4GIG and 8GIG Files off of the unit with 1.04 beta without any issues.
Been running the 1.04 for a long time now and have not had any issues streaming video, music, photos anyting off of it wireless or wired.

Hard drives are four 1TB setup in Raid 5.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:31:03 AM »

I have problems with playing the files remotely (ie, playing my files from the unit on a PC).  It stutters a lot, doesn't matter if I use wireless N or wired connection, both give me tons of grief.  I think it's an issue with RAID itself, because this wasn't an issue on 1.3.  But why any of that would have changed I don't know.  I guess that's why DLink never released it as official, even though they've been working on it for over a year.  I doubt 1.4 will ever truly be released.

I've been streaming video/music flawlessly to PCs and media players on my network without issue on FW 1.04 and all prior beta releases over the past 1.5 years.

jsabo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »

I've got a minor issue with UnPNP-- with the beta code, my Blu-Ray player will lose track of what folder I was in after watching a show or restarting the player, forcing me to navigate back through the directory structure again. Was never an issue with 1.03.

Playback itself is fine, just this minor annoyance.

I've had periodic trashing as well-- I've got 3 disks in a RAID-5, and one large disk riding solo. When that disk gets to the point of being completely full, the unit will become extremely slow to respond to anything-- it's not dead, but it might as well be, because I have to pull the power and restart.

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »

I've been streaming video/music flawlessly to PCs and media players on my network without issue on FW 1.04 and all prior beta releases over the past 1.5 years.
Congrats and thanks for rubbing my face in it!  :'(

I am in the process of looking for a replacement.  Sunk in enough frustration into this thing.  It just stutters for some reason, every 3 seconds on HD but on lower quality videos I have a lot less of an issue, that's a new symptom, it didn't happen in 1.03, and it didn't happen at first on 1.4a, but just sorta started happening.  No scan, or smart test could fix it.

I've been reading into the Synology NAS, and they have gotten around the WD Advanced Format issue, and support their drives by the look of things, so I am going to maybe give them a run, or just flat out buy one of their boxes and get 4 drives directly on their list and run with it.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:58 AM »

I am in the process of looking for a replacement.  Sunk in enough frustration into this thing.  It just stutters for some reason, every 3 seconds on HD but on lower quality videos I have a lot less of an issue, that's a new symptom, it didn't happen in 1.03, and it didn't happen at first on 1.4a, but just sorta started happening.  No scan, or smart test could fix it.

If I had to guess, I would say the issue is your RAID configuration.  I have two DNS-343 configured as standard volumes and have not experienced any streaming issues, but have not used RAID.  I've actively avoided RAID configurations on the DNS-343, primarily b/c it's software based and all of the scattered RAID-based issues I've encountered in this forum.

It's a bit inconvenient to split and manage data as four individual volumes, but this solution seems to be the most stable (and safe).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:13:01 AM by JavaLawyer »