• April 16, 2024, 04:14:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: USB port, shareport and Mac Os / Linux  (Read 8665 times)

klaatu29

USB port, shareport and Mac Os / Linux
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:22:15 AM »

Hi,
I am thinking to the DIR-855 as a replacement for my old (& dead) wireless gateway.
As a Mac/Linux user, I sadly noticed on the DIR-855 age that the shareport utility is only available for windows. >:(
My questions are:
- is there any rc/beta/alpha version of the utility, at least for Mac Os X?
- is there any way to use the UWB port without the utility, at least to get the print server functionality under Mac Os / Linux?
Thanks in advance!

Luca

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: USB port, shareport and Mac Os / Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:44:59 AM »

'Somewhere' there has been news about a Ethernet-USB adapter, letting you use a USB device through the ethernet port. A taiwanese firm, but which...I do not remember, sorry.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

klaatu29

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »

Yes,

I saw something like that too, and there are also products by dlink/netgear/etc. doing that, but I was wondering if there is any way to use the USB port built-in in the DIR-855 without the shareport utility, at least as a print server...
Bye!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:50:27 AM »

No, without Shareport there is only one use for USB: Windows Connect Now.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Clierister

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »

When is the shareport utility for Mac going to be available for us - Mac user? Hope this group of users are not being ignored.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »

There is a Mac Shareport client.  I have no problems with it, but some people here have, so caveat emptor.  Also I notice you mention print server, be warned that with Shareport you are going to have to connect and disconnect 1 PC at a time.  It is not a print server, but a network attached USB port and USB is very specific in a master-slave relationship.
non progredi est regredi

rivangom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:44:02 AM »

If someone got the Shareport Utility working then please explain detailed the steps.

I got a:
- MacBook PRO 2.5 GHZ Intel DUO
- HP Officejet G85 MFP printer
- DIR-855

Now with the Windows machines in my network no problem but the Mac still no succes with this util. Already adjusted the firewall setting at my OSX for having the util accepting incoming connections.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Robbert