• April 19, 2024, 07:08:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Firmware 1.21 Beta Feedback and Comments!  (Read 187234 times)

Mr. Rogers

• Level 1 Member
Re: Firmware 1.21 Beta Feedback and Comments!
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »

As before, I've mentioned EVERYTHING that I possibly could in trying to get this fixed.  Still keeping in touch with Ru-Fi-Oh on my progress towards the testing.  Every problem that I've listed is up above in my previous posts. 

Yes, it absolutely DOES SUCK that we don't have a working product anymore.  However, there isn't much we can do about that right now.  And flaming and trolling doesn't help either.  It is afterall a place to help.  Iconeater did start trolling, and started flaming me as well earlier.  However he seemed to shape up a bit.  However, him getting banned was his own doing, and the moderators should not have to take blame for that after he was warned several times.  Now, you can go smash D-Link elsewhere.  This is a place for help, and in fact, they don't HAVE to help you at all, or provide you with beta firmwares or anything.  They could easily shut this board down, and give you absolutely NO SUPPORT of ANY KIND.  I am glad they put it up, as opposed to being on the phone with support, and someone who doesn't speak english.

Some of the code cannot be rolled back, as there were some important updates provided by Ubicom.  Again, Ubicom mostly provides the major updates, and it's D-Link's job to modify it.  However, if there are major problems with it in the first place, its not D-Link - but Ubicom. 

In the meantime, since I am tired of testing myself, and I'd like to actually enjoy some of my free time this summer I threw up an old WRT54GS with DD-WRT.  I'm getting used to that now more, since it provides a bit more, and is actually stable for my needs.  Buy a cheap router in the meantime if you'd like. 

LOL whatever he put you in your place.  But i digress.

So no one should complain or "flame or Troll" but instead get a cheap router and forget about all this.

hmmm?

I been doing nothing but reading and seems to me the "base code" which can not be changed hence, the no downgrading, is the issue.  IF in fact this a something caused by Ubicom, wouldn't other manufacturers or other Dlink devices which uses this hardware and "base code" all be having issues?  Is that in fact the case?  What other routers use the same hardware as the DGL-4500.

So when can we expect the next firmware "fix"?  What's the count at now 14?
D-Link's not being very neighborly.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »

LOL whatever he put you in your place.  But i digress.

So no one should complain or "flame or Troll" but instead get a cheap router and forget about all this.

hmmm?

I been doing nothing but reading and seems to me the "base code" which can not be changed hence, the no downgrading, is the issue.  IF in fact this a something caused by Ubicom, wouldn't other manufacturers or other Dlink devices which uses this hardware and "base code" all be having issues?  Is that in fact the case?  What other routers use the same hardware as the DGL-4500.

So when can we expect the next firmware "fix"?  What's the count at now 14?

How did a 12 year old "put me in my place" ?

No, you can get a cheap router to tie you over until an actual fix comes out.  And just FYI, ALL of the top flagship models ARE having problems.  Same exact ones.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:55:13 PM by Reinvented »

Chunk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »

How did a 12 year old "put me in my place" ?

Rather effectively actually.  ;D

If all Ubicom devices are acting up, and it seems D-Link can't fix them then how do I get my money back so I can go elsewhere?

Or, maybe D-link can just ship us "cheap" routers for us to use while they get this flagship gaming router off the bottom of the ocean?
Hey Mikey! If you can hear me, RUN!

deksecurity

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »

Rather effectively actually.  ;D

If all Ubicom devices are acting up, and it seems D-Link can't fix them then how do I get my money back so I can go elsewhere?

Or, maybe D-link can just ship us "cheap" routers for us to use while they get this flagship gaming router off the bottom of the ocean?
own!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agent007PR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »

Ok, i think this is sinking down to a personal level. Let's try to keep this a little more peaceful before, like mentioned in other posts, we all get shut out. We all know the issues and they know them as well. If we can wait, we got 2 options, fork out the $$ and get a new router or sit and hope for the best. :'(

NKYadav

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »

My own $.02:

I purchased and used a DGL-4300 for *years* - as in well past 4 - without a hitch - until this past Jan, when it decided that it simply would not do DHCP for me anymore.

Based upon the use I got out of my 4300, plus the use I got out of my DIR-524s (Rev A and rev C) I decided to grab the 4500 w/ N Draft 2 - I now have a laptop with built-in N NIC, so I figured what the heck.

I then upgraded to the latest f/w out ATM - 1.15? - without bothering to read if it was worth it or not.  I got stuck with crap f/w that I could not revert - all my fault.

However, things have gotten better, then worse, through the revisions.  I was experiencing dropped packets (I ran my 4300 for 6 months with a single dropped packet - the 450 drops 1 per week or more - on the *wired* network).  Wireless connectivity for my laptop is great - but for devices that do no support WAP, or G, it is straight horrible.  My ancient iPaqs (a pair of 2490Cs) show diminished signal strength outside of 10 feet from line of sight to the router.  My network goes stone cold dead within days.  My machines are inaccessible from the real world every 3-4 days.

This may sound like a rant, but in fact it is more of a plea.  Please, please *PLEASE* put pressure on Ubicom to fix this s*** ASAP - I have always preferred D-Link over Netgear as all DL products have.  just.  worked.  No ifs, no ands, no buts.

I have a real world job and yet have a small beast of a computer at home - using RDC is *vital* for me for obtaining files that are not accessible anywhere else b/c of time, space, or other factors - both work file sand school work.  I simply cannot afford to buy another router right now, and I cannot afford to not be using Gigabit Ethernet for my internal network at home, so plugging in the DIR-524s is simply economically infeasible.  The 4300 still will not work (I have tried every sort of reset I could find in the forums and FAQs, to no avail - it simply does not send out IPs anymore to machines on my network) and I have to have this working immediately.  If D-Link is willing to swap my currently upgraded 4500 (1.20) with a router running an older f/w (preferably 1.02 so *I* can decide which one to go with in the interim until these issues get resolved) I am most willing to open a ticket - the router is approaching its 6 month b'day in my household, and I have to say this is the first time I have ever had a problem with a D-Link - if it were not for these forums I would quite possibly have tried to exchange it at Best Buy, but reading here it is obvious that the problem lies in the router....

Some thoughts:

My router hoses itself within a 24 hr period if I have logging enabled (which I really, really *REALLY* want to have enabled as I report intrusion activities to SANS.org).  However, if I disable logging, I can get 3-5 days of use out of it.  That plus the fact that the router says it needs 2A of current, plus a comment made earlier, have me thinking - does this thing *really* need 2A of current?  Is it slowly frying itself b/c of bad parts in the box?  I have a set of NetGear GS108 Gigabit Switches - notorious for dying abruptly with the flashing lights of doom syndrome.  The problem was that there was a very large batch of bad capacitors used in numerous models sold, and removing and replacing said caps with some found at Radio Shacks across the US make them work perfectly fine - I have one repaired over a year ago without a hiccup - in use right now with my 4500 serving remote areas of the house with Gigabit Ethernet.  My thought is that the combination of such high current plus faulty hardware (and possibly the heat being dissipated from the components) could all be interacting to make our routers unstable?

BTW, I have my router mounted upside down (as that is really the only place I could place it so that I had ready access to the OLED info screen:  http://picasaweb.google.com/johnlgalt/TheBeast#5308321719746502562

Finally, one more thought - This is absolutely horrible performance out of a product that I paid $150 of my hard earned money for - for example, I just had to hard reset the router b/c it stopped working, all my machines could not even ping the router, and I could not log into it.  Thus far, it has been running for 36 Minutes and 31 Seconds, and I have the following:

Sent : 27316 .

TX Packets Dropped : 10 .

Collisions : 0 .
 Received : 31781 .

RX Packets Dropped : 0 .

Errors : 0 .

***10*** packets dropped in ***36*** minutes???  That is a major problem.  My 4300 would not accumulate 10 dropped packets in a friggin month.

Ru-Fi-Oh - are there any non upgraded routers left out there that D-Link is willing to swap with users?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »

own!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's not really being owned.

In fact, i still fail to see how he did.  All Iconeater did was point out that I have lots of posts here on these forums...that was it.  Pretty bad insults if you ask me.  Learn to come up with something more, and then maybe we'll take you seriously. 

OtilioDJ

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »

After reading all of the posts after the 1.20 and subsequent 1.21 beta fw updates i decided to do some poking around. I visited  some of the other forums and to my dismay could of sworn I was still here  looking at the dgl-4500 forum. D-Link has a real mess on their hands. I am a casual user but consider myself technologically adept. It's no big deal for me to get up from my little corner and walk over to the router ( cussin all the way ) and doing a hard reboot to get things working again. I have nothing but sincere empathy for all you hard core gamers and those who depend on this piece of equipment to work correctly and soundly. Again I'll say my most sincere thanks to the Moderators who are stuck in the middle of this quagmire, I can imagine this is a real headache for y'all. I'll sit here and monitor this board patiently until there's a solid fix. I don't mind testing and tweaking. For now let me say that you have my full support and confidence that this issue will be resolved amicably
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:00:15 PM by OtilioDJ »

Chunk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

I just had the best dream, I figured I'd share it cause we all need some good news.

In my dream This router was fixed buy the next firmware and Reinvented finally had a good comeback.

Oh it was awesome.

Well, back to bed. ;D
Hey Mikey! If you can hear me, RUN!

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »

If I had to take sides I would say Reinvented has done more than any of us here. I was posting back about 8 months ago and he has been having all of the issues I have. I was able to return my first router, so I was off the boards for a while. But 1.02 was giving me issues on the second one and I saw good results on 1.16. So I flashed away. Then I thought maybe 1.20 would get rid of my one last issue of wan disconnects, but it got much worse. That is the only reason I started posting again. He has had a lot of patience to put up with it this long. I bought a new router 1 week after having 1.20. If he tested as much as I did i know his personal time spent on the router is well over 500+ hours. That is a lot of time in his life he will never get back, So please cut him some slack since he is one of the only ones being useful (I know there are others like Puffnstuff, not trying to leave anyone out, just trying to make a point).
 On a separate note I am going to hook up the 4500 as a second router and slowly but surely test each computer on my network. I have 1.21 loaded and I will post my findings along the way.

d01100100

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:58 AM »

I bought another router.  I had it waiting in a box before I loaded 1.20.  I was fed up with all the firmwares after 1.02.  I'm lucky that 1.20 has worked for me.  It seems to have worked for other people as well, some of which don't post.

Back to the 1.21 discussion.

Due to how buggy their captcha implementation is, would it be possible for D-Link to disable this option by default, instead of enabling it?  Similiar to how they disable HTTPS admin access by default (which I believe has an expired cert).

Another thing on TX Packets Dropped in their stats.  After any reboot, I always see either 3 errors.  I'll clear the statistics and check back later.  With 1.20, this is the first firmware where this number has stayed 0 after I do a clear right after reboot.  It's still 0 dropped after 11 day uptime.  If you're seeing the errors and they continue climbing that's symptomatic of what I saw with previous firmwares where the router would gradually or promptly grind to a halt, varying in degrees.

From browsing through this thread and trying to cherry pick useful device information, did anyone have any luck with NTP actually updating?

arod

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

Thanks for the feedback good or bad.. Ever since this code came out we've been picking apart all the issues and results you guys have posted and comparing it to results we've seen in house. Again, I apologize that it's gone this far without a fix. All I could do on my end is keep pushing and pushing this to our PM group and see what happens. Please don't feel we are ignoring you. We monitor this thread real closely to gather information.

Agent007PR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »

Thanks for the feedback good or bad.. Ever since this code came out we've been picking apart all the issues and results you guys have posted and comparing it to results we've seen in house. Again, I apologize that it's gone this far without a fix. All I could do on my end is keep pushing and pushing this to our PM group and see what happens. Please don't feel we are ignoring you. We monitor this thread real closely to gather information.

That is actually one of the best responses i've heard so far. It's a good way to keep the crowd calm. Thanks for your work and please keep us posted.

Fearreality

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »

+1

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »

Well 1.21 locked up my router while I was at work today.  When I got home I couldn't access the net and my son complained to me that its been slow all day.  I had to power cycle it to get reconnected again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19