• April 16, 2024, 02:29:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323, firmware 1.10, and 3TB drives  (Read 17176 times)

Scottk

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323, firmware 1.10, and 3TB drives
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:33:41 AM »

Hi all,
It has been a long time since I have posted here, as the DNS-323 has "just worked" for me for years now.

I recently bought a new Seagate 3TB drive, model ST3000DM001:
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

(Actually got it from buying the "external" USB model, and opening up the case)

When installing this into the DNS-323 running the current (and presumably, the last) version of the DNS-323, it sees the drive, but only 2.2TB of it.

Obviously, this is the whole "Beyond 2TB", GPT, etc, issue.

I was under the (wrong) assumption, that that was one the points of the 1.10 version of the firmware, that it supported the new 2+ TB drives?

(And in fact, people were going up to 1.10 to format their drives, and then falling back?)

Has anyone gotten a 3TB drive to work, while still being able to see the full 3TB space?

PS: I did try going to Alt-F after seeing this issue as well, and that failed to format the drive.
(I will be posting out on that Forum about that issue) :)

Thanks for any/all help!
Scott

amunoz_tico

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-323, firmware 1.10, and 3TB drives
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »

Dear friends,

Do you have any update about your experience?

I'd like to get a couple of those drives for my DNS-323, but I need to be sure that they will work with my NAS.

Regards!

gbaker3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 06:56:23 AM »

I don't see anything in the release notes for f/w 1.10 (aka 1.10b7) and as far as I know GPT partion tables are still not supported. This makes it impossible for the DNS-323 to support creating a single 3TB volume (beyond the 2TB MBR limit). I don't know for sure but presumably you could make one 2.2TB volume and one 0.8TB volume, but having 2 volumes on your NAS is probably not what you want.

Your only hope would be using alt-f. I haven't tried any 3TB disks, as flashing the alt-f firmware directly onto my box is beyond my comfort zone. Without alt-f the DNS-323 is limited to 2TB HDD's or splitting a 3TB HHD.

Again, not 100% sure on whether you can just use 2 volumes as I haven't done it myself, but in theory it should work.

Scottk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »

The D-Link firmware will NOT support the drive, and until they support GPT (which they probably never will, considering the age of this product), 3TB drives are unlikely to ever be supported.

However, I have been successfully running the 3TB drive in my DNS-323 running Alt-F for a couple months now.

I switched to Alt-F, and although by default, it doesn't work properly "out of the box" with the current Alt-F firmware, the creator of Alt-F and I worked together to find a proper way to get it to work.

If you search the threads on the forum's over there, you will find the exact sequence of commands you will need to do, to make it work.

Good Luck!