• April 19, 2024, 03:31:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 behind 3 routers how to FTP ?  (Read 18283 times)

pc-addict

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 behind 3 routers how to FTP ?
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »

Hi, I'm having trouble trying to connect to my DNS-323 via ftp since adding a 3rd router to my domestic network. I've totally reconfigured all routers I cant remember how I had set it up for 2 routers, this is how I've currently set it up:

Router 1
wan        = xx.x.xx.77 (from isp)
Gateway = xx.x.xx.1
Lan        = 192.168.1.1
DMZ       = 192.168.1.50
Port forward 21 - 192.168.1.50

Router 2
wan        = 192.168.1.50
gateway  = 192.168.1.1
lan          = 192.168.2.1
DMZ        = 192.168.2.100
port forward 21 - 192.168.2.100

Router 3
wan         = 192.168.2.100
gateway   = 192.168.2.1
lan           = 192.168.3.1
port forward 21 - 192.168.3.2

D-link address  = 192.168.3.2

dhcp start  = 192.168.3.100

I'm using fireFTP plugin for firefox and entering ftp.(isp address) I've tried anonymous and secure without any success, I would really appreciate any help......

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS-323 behind 3 routers how to FTP ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »

Getting rid of the routers 2 & 3 would be a good place to start.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

pc-addict

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »

Thank you for your input, but removing two routers is not the solution to the problem. I have had it working for a long time with two routers now my house needs 3 routers.

I'm able to connect within the 3rd lan but not from internet side, and must be to do with the ip and port forwarding addressing.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »

The chances of any residential network needing more than one router is slim to non-existent - you may have more than one router, but that's more likely to be a matter of poor network design and/or inexperience than one of need.

Routers are used to keep networks separate from one another - do you really need three separate networks, from my point of view, all you're doing is creating an unnecessary headache for yourself.

The only circumstances under which separate multiple networks would be desirable in a residential environment is when one line is being used to supply multiple residences or apartments in a complex - that is a design exercise I will not get into here, and especially not using the NAT routers that you are using.

If you don't want to get rid of the additional routers, consider connecting the NAS to the first router.

For what it's worth - I design & implement networks for small & medium businesses, and I've done a few "country-wide WANs" for financial institutions, and never had more than two routers on any one location.

MJBURNS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:09:40 PM »

Has something changed with NAT routers? It used to be that you could not nest NAT routers and have them work, particularly for things like active FTP.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »

You can nest NAT routers and have ftp work (using the DMZ is the key), but it's just a royal pain in the butt to get working - I've done it with telnet and active ftp, I've never tried it with passive ftp, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

ftp itself is a pain in the butt to get working if you lack the understanding or experience, and trying to do it through multiple nested NAT routers just makes it worse - I've seen the licks of lisbon helping novices get ftp on a DNS-323 up & running with just one router, I'm not going to even try with three.

chriso

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »

Most likely a couple of routers were used when a couple of switches should have been used.

In the past where I had a time when I had an old router and didn't want to buy a new switch and I was lucky enough that the router could be configured that it actually acted like a switch.  This is the only reason I could think of using a router when a switch is what is really needed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:38:05 PM by chriso »

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

Even if there isn't a specific option to configure a router as a switch, in most cases you can simply just use the LAN ports and leave the WAN port unused to simplify your setup. Of course if you need the extended range of the wireless or for a number of other features, it may be necessary to configure multiple subnets, but technically, if properly configured, there are no reasons why you can't nest them.

Personally, I have 3 switches and 3 wireless routers in my home network, but to keep it relatively simple, all devices are connected to a central router so at most they are 2 deep, no third tier.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »

You can connect routers as switches and access points without splitting the network into different subnets, it's not difficult - but - unless you have a good grasp of what you're upto, it's easy to find yourself in trouble - and given the cost of a switch nowadays, well, what's your time worth??

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »

Try disabling DHCP on the two routers that are not connected to your modem.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 04:26:33 AM »

Try disabling DHCP on the two routers that are not connected to your modem.

That IS a key factor - but if that is done without a "rewiring" of the network, all that will happen is there will be no connectivity on any computer configured for DHCP, beyond the first of the LANs, and if he does that and assigns static addresses, he's still back at square one.

billb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:45:11 AM »

Hi, I'm having trouble trying to connect to my DNS-323 via ftp since adding a 3rd router to my domestic network. I've totally reconfigured all routers I cant remember how I had set it up for 2 routers, this is how I've currently set it up:

I'm quite interested in your network if you "need" to nest 3 routers? What are you doing that requires this? (purely out of interest)

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »

fordem, you are absolutely right.

The WAN port on two routers not connected to the modem should no longer be used after disabling DCHP.
Just the regular LAN ports 1-4 should be used.

It was late, my apologies.

PJ

pc-addict

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »

Thank you all for your ideas and response.....

The reason for me to have 3 routers is because I live in a large 3 floor house and loft conversion, with multiple tenants and connected users.

Router No: 1 is the main router that I’ve added to the network solely for Mr landlord, as previously he was wirelessly sharing with everyone in the house (except me) and a lucky authorised neighbour across the street, the previous position of the router and the amount of wireless users cloaked his download speed which meant Mr Landlord sometimes was only getting a paltry 3mb download speed but is paying for 50mb, plus Mr Landlord's laptop always used to disconnect causing inconvenience for everyone after having to reboot the modem and router to get reconnected, all Mr Landlords issues have now been resolved by adding this new router and positioning it in Mr Landlords lounge with a password only known by and for his Laptop, Mr Landlord is now getting the full 50mb download speed wirelessly and is extremely happy with me <wide grin>

Router No: 2 is located upstairs for everyone else in the house and the lucky authorised neighbour,

Router No: 3  is for me as I am a pc and network technician who currently works from home and understandably needs a separate network.

As you can now see no matter how odd it may seem to other professionals who have designed networks with only 1 or 2 routers utilising hubs and switches, having 3 routers in a residential establishment is entirely practical to design and implement. What isn’t practical is having my ftp raid backup drive on Mr Landlords router No:1 downstairs physically unsecure.

I’ve still not figured it out yet as I’ve been too busy fixing other people’s computers and websites, but I know It can be done as I had it already set up for two routers so it can’t be impossible.

I will post upon success......

Thanx
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:07:21 PM by pc-addict »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »

If it works for two routers then just put a switch inbetween Router #1 and router #3 instead of going through another router. Put a cheap 5 port gig switch from Router #1 LAN to Switch. Then run one wire from switch to Router #2 WAN and a second wire down to WAN on Router #3. That should cut out one NAT and put you back at 2 routers. Yours and your land lords.
Pages: [1] 2 3