• April 26, 2024, 05:12:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Iphoto / Imovie Library  (Read 3133 times)

badams

• Level 1 Member
Iphoto / Imovie Library
« on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »

Wanting to move an Iphoto/Imovie library to the NAS as an archive. Not simply store the time machine files on the NAS which I have been successfully doing for some time. Two things that I do not know whether they are possible:

Currently set to Raid 1 between the two drives

1. Create a partition on Drive 1 (which would then also be on Drive 2). Use 1 partition for Time Machine, the other for standard storage
2. Move the libraries to the other partition on the drive. The libraries are not intending to be accessed frequently, rather moving them for the purposes of archiving. The mac is only a 500gb, which is now full due to iphoto and imovie libraries collecting family memories for the past few years.

If someone has some alternative advice on how this goal should be accomplished or whether this is even possible with my 325, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Iphoto / Imovie Library
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »

First thing - The NAS being setup as RAID 1 means that effectively you only have one drive to work with (the two drives are equal and contain the same data - their use is for redundancy so allowing continued use should one drive fail and during the rebuild process).

Now, bearing the above in mind - one drive only - go over what you want to do and you will see that what you need is some form of backup medium be it another NAS or a large USB drive (USB drive should have an external power supply if it is to be plugged directly into your DNS-325).

badams

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »

I believe I understand what you are saying here. Yes 1 drive to work with as they are in RAID 1.

Even with only 1 drive what I would like to do it partition this drive -

one side for Time Machine: The reason for this is to limit space accessible to Time Machine. Time Machine simply fills whatever space it is given with more and more backups over time.

One side for general storage: This is where the imovie/photo archives will be. Move the libraries to the other partition on the drive. The libraries are not intending to be accessed frequently, rather moving them for the purposes of archiving. The mac is only a 500gb, which is now full due to iphoto and imovie libraries collecting family memories for the past few years.

Without understanding the limitations of the 325, I believe the above would work. Just don't know how to accomplish.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »

OK, as long as you understand that your RAID 1 will be seen as a single Volume_1 with sub folders under that, just as your Mac has folders such as bin, home etc.

It is not very often we get to work with a Mac computer so I will outline the general setup and you will have to supply the details from your knowledge.

1)  use a file browser to see your NAS on the network and have a look at what folders are there.
2)  make a new folder off the root and call it something like archive.  This is where you will move your archives to.
3)  log in via the web UI and go to 'Management' --> 'Account Management'  --> 'Adding new user'  and set up a user for time machine, give it the necessary permissions and most important, set a quota to limit the space it can use (if you don't do this it will eventually take up all the free space on the disk.

That is all you can do with the setup you have at the moment.  If you were to backup everything you have on your NAS at the moment and reformat the disks as two standard disks you could do the separate time machine from everything else that you describe.  I would not recommend doing that unless you backup both drives to another NAS or very large USB drives with external power supplies because by not having the RAID 1 array you could lose all your data if a disk went bad and they do.  The RAID 1 array keeps your data safe in the event of disk failure.

badams

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »

First of all thanks for sticking with me - mac and all. I'll blame the wife for this mac but that is for another forum I guess.

One issue that I believe I am seeing is whether or not a "iphoto" library can exist on the disk format that is performed by the DNS-325. Is there anyway to format the drives in a non-native format, IE HTS+?

Thanks again

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:11:15 AM »

Ha, she that must be obeyed has spoken  ;)

To answer your question, no, the format is fixed. 

I will ask one of my own though, why would you want a different format?  We use OS/2 here on our workstations which means that the internal disks are formatted HPFS or JFS yet data from them is backed up to several NAS boxes without problems.  We wlso have data on our NAS boxes from almost versions of windows, a couple of iPhones and several Android phones as well as a clients Macbook.  Data is data (0 and 1), the file system takes that data and stores it that is all any hard disk does.  It is an app that takes that data and displays it.  Yes, the app might dictate a layout for storage but that is what you see in a file browser NOT how it is physically stored on a disk.

The problem you might have is getting your pictures from the iPhone to the NAS but since you have a Mac you should be able to do it as iPhone --> Mac --> NAS (we did it that way for our client).  If there is an FTP app for the iPhone then you should be able to use that to transfer directly to the NAS as we do with the Android phones and tablets.