• April 24, 2024, 01:55:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 2 x WD Caviar Green 3TB problem. Only one disk showing up + solution.  (Read 5302 times)

hejhopp

• Level 1 Member

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has already been mentioned but this problem has annoyed me for the last 36 hours and now I have finally found a solution. So in the hope of saving countless of hours for countless of people (when I come to think of it, I am actually saving lives here;) here is my problem and the simple but not obvious (to me) solution.

The problem: I bought a DNS-325 and 2 3TB WD Caviar Green drives (running latest official firmware) and when I powered on the DNS-325 only the left disk shows up. The right disk cannot be seen, and the right LED is not on. I tried changing the disks, but the same result.

The solution: Go ahead and format the only disk (the left one) showing up. Once you are finished formatting the disk as a standard volume, power off the NAS, and switch the disks. Once you power on the NAS, you will now see both disks, and you can go ahead and format both of them, and select the RAID level you want.

I hope it helps someone. =)

Best regards,
Dan
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:25:12 PM by hejhopp »

Northerndj

• Level 2 Member
Re: 2 x WD Caviar Green 3TB problem. Only one disk showing up + solution.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:39:47 AM »

This is a Firmware problem as it has a max of 4TB so that would be only two 2TB HD's
I'm sure it says some were about a Max sizes
eg
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390533,00.asp?tab=Specs
Now i asumed thats total both sides
If you need more then you need to go for a bigger unit

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »

Hi Northerndj,
I just wanted to add that the "specs" posted in most places regarding the maximum drive sizes are outdated by the latest official firmware which does in fact now support 3TB drives.  So this gives a maximum possible storage of 6TB.  Don't know why Dlink has not done more to get that news out and correct this misinformation, but they haven't. 

Northerndj

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:18 AM »

::)I stand corrected  :o
Nice to no that tho  ;)
i wonder if he has updated his firmware????

Azzy_Stealth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »

I've come across the same battle.

My solution was to update to the current 1.02 firmware

format in my win 7 computer both 3TB HDD's

Delete the volume in computer management

reinsert them into the DNS-325

press the reset button once the NAS had reloaded.........waited

then
Loaded the management GUI in the Windows Explorer browser...Iwas previously using Firefox.. :-( gutted it doesnt like it for all functions.

anyways sorry guys.

Re formatted it in Explorer and it works as Volume 1 and 2 or raid 1

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
only 3 days or trying things to get it to work and a Looooooooooooooooong call to my helper in Sweeden to advise me.

This worked for me  :o

nickfit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:11 AM »

I ran into the same issue using firmware 1.02 and two 3TB Cavier Drives .   I first tried to format using the supplied software (on Windows 7) which i think was probably what caused the issue.  it wouldn't recognize one of the drives until the second go around.   I was having issues configuring the device using the supplied CD.   I logged into the web interface using my macbook and that seemed to make things work much better.