• March 28, 2024, 03:12:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Failed firmware update DCS-942L  (Read 33690 times)

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Failed firmware update DCS-942L
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

Anyone managed to fix this problem?  I (foolishly) upgraded the firmware on both of the 942Ls, and neither now works.  I uploaded the firmware via wireless connection, but that seemed to go OK, and then in both cases it did a countdown to reset, but on reaching 0 seconds, nothing further happened.  Now playing with one, I connected it by cable to the router, and can see it on the routher's Attached Devices, which gives me an IP address.  I cannot log on to the camera using this IP, nor can I go through the process of reinstalling the camera using the supplied CD. I've tried the process described above ("hold reset while powering up, and keep until red light starts flashing").  I get a green light on the camera, but nothing further.  Help

I'm going to ask a dumb questions...as this may help explain things..

Did you have SD recording enabled? FTP? anything else? motion detection?

Do all these things need turned off before upgrading?

Where did you upgrade from? MAc? Windows? what version of windows?

if windows, what cpu/memory?

What browser were you using? chrome/ie (what vers), firefox?

Seriously... we need to start narrowing this down....

blsapdink

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 06:03:14 PM »

If you bricked it I suggest you pretend nothing happened. Call tech support and ask them to walk you through the upgrade. Then say it didn't work and they are liable for bricking your cam. Make a warranty claim against them or contact the BBB to force a refund or exchange. You got to play hardball.

carlosgarciacegm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 05:55:38 AM »

Had just purchased a new DCS942L unit and had it setup fine.  Registered it on the web and the web  stated that it needed a firmware update.  Connected with hard line and started update.  After 5min webapp said device timed out.  When I went to rest camera could no longer get a connection of any kind.
Have tried hardreset and nothing seams to work  just have red light on solid.  Any suggestions besides return for another?

???

hello friend i have the same problem, solution conseguistes?

carlosgarciacegm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »

Anyone managed to fix this problem?  I (foolishly) upgraded the firmware on both of the 942Ls, and neither now works.  I uploaded the firmware via wireless connection, but that seemed to go OK, and then in both cases it did a countdown to reset, but on reaching 0 seconds, nothing further happened.  Now playing with one, I connected it by cable to the router, and can see it on the routher's Attached Devices, which gives me an IP address.  I cannot log on to the camera using this IP, nor can I go through the process of reinstalling the camera using the supplied CD. I've tried the process described above ("hold reset while powering up, and keep until red light starts flashing").  I get a green light on the camera, but nothing further.  Help

Hello friend, I have the same problem, can you help me?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »

Hello friend, I have the same problem, can you help me?

If the firmware upload failed, either due to a network disruption or power failure, there is a good chance that the camera will be rendered inoperable. There is no self-help procedure available to restore the base firmware (as seen in more expensive devices with firmware stored in ROM).

If your camera is under warranty (i.e. within 1 year from purchase), you can call D-Link technical support and request an RMA.

. . . Before going down the RMA path, we need to perform some basic troubleshooting to see if there is an alternate root cause.  From your post, I can see that you have the DCS-942L IP address. Try accessing the DCS-942L web UI from different browsers (e.g. Firefox, IE). Try accessing the DCS-942L web UI from a different PC. Are you able to successfully open the login page in a browser? Were you able to load the login page in a browser before performing the firmware upgrade?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:18:17 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

carlosgarciacegm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »

If the firmware upload failed, either due to a network disruption or power failure, there is a good chance that the camera will be rendered inoperable. There is no self-help procedure available to restore the base firmware (as seen in more expensive devices with firmware stored in ROM).

If your camera is under warranty (i.e. within 1 year from purchase), you can call D-Link technical support and request an RMA.

. . . Before going down the RMA path, we need to perform some basic troubleshooting to see if there is an alternate root cause.  From your post, I can see that you have the DCS-942L IP address. Try accessing the DCS-942L web UI from different browsers (e.g. Firefox, IE). Try accessing the DCS-942L web UI from a different PC. Are you able to successfully open the login page in a browser? Were you able to load the login page in a browser
before performing the firmware upgrade?

you've done with your camera?

then it is definite that the camera is useless?

there is no way to install the base firmware using another program?

and if I send the camera to a tech support D-Link?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »

you've done with your camera?

then it is definite that the camera is useless?

there is no way to install the base firmware using another program?

and if I send the camera to a tech support D-Link?

"I've done what with my camera?"  ???

I can definitively say that if an FW upload in progress is interrupted via a network/power disruption, there is a strong likelihood that the camera is unusable. The only corrective measure is contacting D-Link technical support. No end-user application or procedure is available to recover from this type of failure. . .  if that's what happened to your camera.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:58:00 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC
Pages: 1 [2]