• April 18, 2024, 04:12:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware Upgrade Question  (Read 3723 times)

xcaliber

• Level 1 Member
Firmware Upgrade Question
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »

Hello I currently am running firmware v1.05 and wish to upgrade to a more recent firmware so I can stream to my Xbox 360. I believe if I do it will require me to format my drives. Is this correct? If so is there a way for me to be able to stream from my DNS-323 to my 360 without having to format my drives. I simply do not have the spare hard drive space to back to files up at the moment.

lookingforinfo

Re: Firmware Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:37:34 AM »

I never used version 1.05, so wait for confirmation from a more experiences user.  It is my experience and understanding that firmware upgrades do not bother the data.  You can also go directly from 1.05 to 1.09.  It is frequently suggested that after the upgrade, you should go to Tools > System > Defaults and select "Restore to factory default settings".  BEFORE you do this, record ALL your system settings so everything can be recreated.  Saving and restoring configuration settings does not work.

Having said all this, you should backup your data to another device.  Disks and devices fail!

bill3425

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »

In my impression, 323 ask you to format HD, because the filesystem was started to support utf-8. Looks like things can not be avoided.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 04:14:16 AM »

To the best of my recollection, NONE of the firmware updates forces or requires a reformat of the drives, with the sole exception of 1.02b, and even then, only if you were running an ext3 file system (1.02b removed support for ext3, it was reintroduced in 1.08).

With regard the addition of utf-8, I believe that was done in 1.04, and whilst it does require a format for it to work, the update does not force you to format, and if you don't need utf-8, you can simply leave the format until it's convenient.

To further re-inforce lookingforinfo's point on backing up - even though none of the firmware updates forces a reformat, a glitch during that upgrade, or for that matter, a power outage whilst writing to the disk, can corrupt your disk, at which point you can kiss your data goodbye - unless you have a back up.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

xcaliber

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »

thanks a lot guys. i may try this soon then. and trust me i plan on backing up all my media once i get some money saved up for another drive. moneys tight at the moment so i'll just have to be careful and hope i dont lose it all.

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »

For what it's worth, I updated from 1.07 to 1.09 and the data was still there.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

Same here, upgrated from 1.07 to 1.08 and had not to format anything.