• April 19, 2024, 05:00:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Inconsistent performance  (Read 6826 times)

Ihatecaptchas

• Level 1 Member
Inconsistent performance
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

Router: DIR 635
HW version: A1
Firmware: 1.09(unable to access router atm so cannot check)

I've had this router a couple of years now and up until recently everything was fine any problems I did have were typically on the ISP's end. Just ther other day I started noticing some pretty severe drops in performance and was quite often losing connection to the router. When I tried accessing it directly through an ethernet cable it constantly kept timing out and frequently when one of my laptops or other computers had a wireless connection to the router they were also unable to access it.

What's unusual is that I frequently have a strong wirelsss connection to the router but have constant spikes and drops in my connection speed. When the speed is stable I can access the router's configuration page no problem but when the speed is dropping a lot I can't access it at all. I've tried restarting it a number of times and on the few occasions I've had access to the router I checked out the firmware version which was shown as being up to date.

My broadband is with UPC Ireland on a 30mb fibre line.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:14:57 PM by Ihatecaptchas »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Inconsistent performance
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual?
Turn off QoS options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA? Preferred is WPA-Personal and Cipher type to AES only if your device support this.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Ihatecaptchas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual?
Turn off QoS options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA? Preferred is WPA-Personal and Cipher type to AES only if your device support this.

I have a Cable service. As far as I can tell the modem is just a basic cable modem with no router it's a Scientific Atlanta model: EPC2203.

I did all of the above(except there was no option for advanced DNS). Was I supposed to fill in a specific IP for the primary/secondary DNS servers I just entered in IP similar to the router IP just not the same IP.

The wireless mode was mixed G and N and security was WPA-Personal. After doing all of the above I lost connection to the internet completely. All laptops/computers could connect to the router without any problems but the internet connection stopped working completely I had to connect the modem directly to this PC to get any internet. I'm really not sure what went wrong.

Ihatecaptchas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »

I changed the primary/secondary DNS IPs to the server IPs being sent to the router by my ISP and the internet now appears to be working hopefully performance will be stable now, thank you furry.

Ihatecaptchas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »

Doesn't appear to have worked unfortunately just had the exact same issue crop up again. All wireless connections were dropped and my computer with the LAN connection to the router was unable to access the router.

Unplugged router and restarting seemed to fix it but there's no idea how long to tell it will last.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »

Need to see if the ISP cable modem shows any down time during this time frame. The result of the router, seemingly going down could be the result of the Cable modem loosing connection as well. Need to check the modem logs for any problems when you see the router go down.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.